Blizzard, please fix instance farming tactics that screw the economy

1. I don’t want gold to be a trivial matter for a large part of the population like it is in retail.

Personal economy, an element practically removed in retail.
Players barely knew about these methods in Vanilla. With the streamer culture we live in now, everyone will know about them and the problem will be wide spread.

1. I don’t want people to be able to sit in an instance for 10 hours farming carefree without fear of PVP if they rolled on a PVP server. It completely side steps the spirit of world PVP if you can just zone into an instance and make gold in your own little private session. The intention of PVP servers was that you had to get things done with the constant fear of being ganked. You had to be powerful and skillful in order to keep your farming area, or you had to make friends and farm together and again be powerful and skillful for you both to keep your farming area.

World PVP, an elemental practically removed in retail.

1. I don’t want the gold trade shadow economy to go unnoticed like it would if these methods were allowed.

People argue that gold sellers don’t farm for gold anymore, except that they do.

1. If Blizzard doesn’t have a proper response to gold sellers, I want to be able to kill them in open world PVP while they’re farming.

I know the suggestions I’m making are against the authenticity of vanilla because they were possible in vanilla. However, the mechanisms I aim to preserve by these suggestions, World PVP and personal economy, are very much in the spirit of Vanilla.

I think that preserving the wider reaching spirit of world PVP is far more important than people being able to have a carefree time farming thousands of gold per week.

2 Likes

Ah, see, I don’t care about economy or making millions or having that be any part of my entertainment around wow. As far as I’m concerned, anything that invalidates that aspect of play is fine with me.

However, with gold farming being easy, the rise of AH prices also happens, which irks me. Things like getting the G for a mount being easier is nice since those quest costs are fixed, but it comes at the cost of dumb things like level 10 greens being 100+g and effectively useless to the players who would most benefit.

I’d honestly prefer AH prices were just capped at 4x the vendor price to control this, but that’s my own little world where gold is just a non-issue and I can effectively disregard it and focus on only the gameplay I want to and literally nothing else (raiding, in case it wasn’t obvious).

However, since that’s not going to happen, I can’t say which way I prefer. Literal vanilla or “spirit of vanilla.”

The interesting thing to me is that these methods were not widely used in vanilla, and the economy operated just fine.

The only thing non-vanilla that is about to happen is these methods being used to an extreme level, so we’re going to see an economy we’ve never seen before (not even on private servers due to private servers not having regional ebb/flow timing due to international population)

The only people who are arguing against these methods being fixed are the people who practiced them on private servers and are now eager to go use them in Classic WoW in a way that retail vanilla never saw. It’s like having a cheat code in hand and you can’t wait to get home to type it in.

2 Likes

Players adapt. It’s what they do. It’s part of the game. It’s part of the experience. It’s a part of playing an mmorpg. Asking devs to interfere and even things out led to where the game is now. Chill out. Everything will be ok. It’s just a game.

3 Likes

Lol it’s so funny you say that, when the result of letting these methods live is a game that’s more similar to retail than without.

1 Like

You make a compelling case providing absolutely zero evidence or correlation about which you’re speaking.

Anyway, there’s a million little things players have figured out in the intervening dozen years since Vanilla. You want to go through and change them all so people can’t ‘exploit’ things in Classic that were rather unknown back in the day? What is the end result of that? Because it’s certainly not Vanilla anymore. You’re continuing to apply BfA philosophy and values to Vanilla. Chill out; it’s just a game. Not taking it so seriously is the first step to actually putting enjoyment and fun back at the forefront.

1 Like

not sure if this is a legit question or…

but ill bite.

when you buy gold- you must give them a payment method (clearly), the account information and which character is to receive the gold (name, realm etc). the gold is picked up in game by that character. the downside however, is that the account is stolen by the site that they bought from. could be a few days to a few weeks but it always is.
you would be lucky if you even got to spend the gold you just bought. which is part of the point and just a small part of how they keep gold cycling through their system. among the others that i listed before.

most of the time, the player can get the account back by going to blizzard and claiming ‘my account was hacked and all my stuff is gone’. and blizzard will (try) to get the account back and everything that was lost. partly a faulty report, just leaving out the part of HOW it got hacked. people do this all the time and how a lot of people get very old characters back that THEY deleted years ago. you rarely get anything back legitimately. I know, i tried.

until it happens again. nothing changes, just a constant repeat of the same thing. and there are times that people can NOT get it all back.

All good so far.

Incorrect.

lol.

then please, explain how the process really goes.

Pay for product on website. Provide in-game recipient name. Wait for notification that product is available. Enter game. Receive invite. Travel to product vendor. Receive trade window request. Receive product.

The process you described is relevant only to power leveling, gearing, and honor services.

I’m probably going to get banned for talking about this, but to me it’s worth it to defend the proposal of this thread.

1 Like

Ah, so they’re just running past everything, FD, wait for cool down, rinse and repeat? Then kite the boss around for minutes/hours/days/weeks until its dead?

I’d link an example video but it would get me banned.

Feign death, ice-based traps, invis potions, seaforium charge for the door, and using your pet to grab entire groups of enemies so you can run past.

Combine all of that and you find yourself at the end of the instance looking at the boss in about 5 minutes time. A clever method of kiting the boss and then it’s finished. You can do it in greens. Takes longer in greens but you can do it. Geared hunters can do the entire run in under 12 minutes relaxed (just under the 5x per hour lock out)

There’s a video on youtube of a hunter in T2 who does the run in 5 minutes 40 seconds.

Great, thanks a lot. Using my Warrior mind set of simply clobbering everything and anything makes runs like this interesting to me.

And, I agree with others, it’s not an exploit. Being able to do this kind of thing is a feature.

1 Like

Hunters that have soloed Tribute on Private Servers are going to be shocked though. DM:T runs give high gold per hour on private servers because Hunters can finish them QUICKLY. This is because on Private Servers you can game the Mage/Shaman/Priest the entire King fight. But it doesnt apparently work that way on live servers. You have to kill/deal with the Mage/Shaman/Priest during the King fight.

So that means using the pathing/FD exploit to ping pong the bosses back and forth to your pet.

This works, but it takes 4x as long as the runs on Private servers currently do because you have to kill the Mage/Shaman/Priest THEN kill the King, or ping pong them long enough to kill the King while keeping the other one running back and forth. The amount of time this takes is much higher than the 9-15 minutes runs you can do on private servers (It becomes much closer to 20-30m a run. This means while Hunters will be able to do it, the gold per hour they will earn from chaining them is slashed significantly. Especially if the Priest is the one that spawns with the king.

Tribute solo runs arent going to be the big gold per hour king, its going to be the Mages doing the lashers of DM, and doing the DM:North Hyenas and the boss after they hit the reset cap for the hour that will earn the most gold per hour.

1 Like

You kite around the base and the caster never has the proper range to use his spells.

You can see it in the videos fairly easily.

You could fix the encounter by doing two things: Massive range on the caster’s spells, and increase the King’s run speed significantly.

Go get the video, but get it from Vanilla, not a private server.

It worked differently on live. And this is what Im speaking about. Everyone is used to how its scripted on private servers. It didnt work that way on live. Go watch the Hunter against the world videos (and specifically watch for the caster, its either dead or being ping ponged by the time he kills the king): Those werent using the private server method, those killed the caster first always because you couldnt permanently keep the caster ranged on live the way you can on Private servers.

On private servers you can just run in a circle and the Observer never cuts the middle area and intercepts you, or runs fast enough to catch up. So you just kite the king to death solo while running around and the Observer just tails behind forever then when the King dies the Observer resets. Once this doesn’t work on live, or you have to deal with the heals and power word shields they put on the King, its still going to be doable, but its going to take twice as long. And time is the most important thing in Gold Per Hour.

Edit: Ill clarify again, because this discussion happened in another thread too: DM:Tribute CAN ABSOLUTELY be soloed by Hunters in Vanilla. But it takes much longer on a properly scripted Tribute run than it does on Private Servers. This is apparently because of the way the Observer is scripted on legit retail versus how the Observer is scripted on Private servers. I would love to be proven wrong on this, but theres apparently no videos of vanilla hunters soloing the Tribute in a timely manner.

1 Like

Even seeing a video from a private server, I find the encounter laborious and tedious compared to spamming the CHARGE key on my Warrior and murdering mobs wholesale. But, that’s just the game play that suits me.

I have great respect for Hunters soloing the King, as they made the Ace of Warlords comparatively dirt cheap on the AH. So, “Run Forrest, Run!” IMHO!

1 Like

Really?
So how do you feel about players safe spotting?
Like say on the roof in Booty Bay to kill players that can’t reach them?

The way he’s bouncing it back and forth on the left wall is no different than the way the King is kited around the base of the platform. In fact it still shows in the video you mention that the caster doesn’t have the range to perform his spells otherwise he’d be using them at the break between the upper and lower ledges.

You use your pet to separate king/observer and then the observer will be constantly out of range while he attempts to catch either you or the king. He never does catch either of you. Just because they didn’t discover the better method in vanilla AND you see this guy doing it the slow way, doesn’t mean the platform kite doesn’t work. The only thing the Hunter vs world video does is give me more evidence that suggests the observer doesn’t properly range in the fight, and therefore can be kited along the platform base.

The method you’re seeing in the vanilla video is the same one hunters are using right now to get around private server’s “fix”

Although the method is not profitable at all because it’s too slow, which is why it evolved into the base kiting method over time.

But the fact is that Blizzard has been playing whack-a-mole with exploits like this since the early days of Vanilla. As soon as players found them and started exploiting them, Blizzard would tweak some numbers and “fix” it. Sometimes the tweaks were subtle and gradual (maybe not even make the patch notes). Other times the tweaks were sudden and extreme and not tweaks at all (might include a massive wave of account bans, in the very extreme cases).

Fact is that Blizzard has always looked at total gold circulating in a server economy divided by the number of active accounts on that same server. If that ratio rises above what they deem a “healthy” range, they seek out the major sources of gold generation and see what’s going on. They tweak the numbers to slow it down – reduce drop rates by 10% here, increase mob health by 10% there, raise the equipment damage and repair costs from certain sources, maybe even change the scripting of certain mobs that are being killed in a (albeit clever) way that was not intended by the design to reduce the effectiveness of those (albeit clever) techniques, which were effectively “exploits” in a way but they won’t punish those who were using them they just nerf their effectiveness a little bit.

What changed since Vanilla is what Blizzard considers a “healthy” range of ratios. It went way up. Why? I’d say because with tokens they figured out there was a lot of money to be made by bogarting the profits of the gold sellers, which simultaneously mitigated (though never entirely solved) the problems caused by gold sellers when they were doing more than just selling gold for IRL money (such as stealing accounts and farming gold from accounts rather than in game). The higher this ratio rose, the more money they tend to get from WoW token sales. This part is speculation, but it makes intuitive sense to me.

So no – you are wrong here. Blizzard actively managed the gold economy during Vanilla. If these “exploits,” such as they are, were generally unknown during Vanilla there would be no reason to fix them until their use became more widespread.

I’ll give you this: Blizzard probably doesn’t need to “fix” these things before launch, but the list from the OP itself is a good guide for them to check first if that ratio starts to creep up (or spike) soon after launch.