Blizzard Has Not Lied To Anybody

They don’t really have to lie. Some folks have such blind loyalty to this company that they would give blizz money no matter the situation.

1 Like

This isn’t even the first time Ion has lied though,

His team confirmed in legion legendaries wouldn’t be nerfed and then… did.

3 Likes

For most of us, it’s a concept called ‘sunken cost fallacy’. Basically, we have invested so much time and money into this game that it feels bad to just… walk away, as if everything we’ve done, everything we’ve spent, has all amounted to nothing. Especially since we still want to love the game, as we have for years.

I’ve played since vanilla (and no, I don’t want to go back and play classic), and I’ve had a lot of highs and lows playing this game. Vanilla was fun. I loved BC. I loved WotLK. Cata was… eh. I loved MoP the most. I hated WoD. I loved Legion. I hated BFA. I am NOT one of those players who cannot embrace change, and I am NOT a min maxxer, and I’m certainly not hardcore. But I see nothing but problems in the covenant system. Pulling the ripcord was the best chance for covenants.

I also can’t see why some are so against the ripcord. How does having more freedom to play the character the way you want to, whether it’s for min maxing or for finding the build you find most fun, hurt you? Opening up choices and removing arbitrary week long cooldowns only benefits everyone. Even the RPers benefit as you could then mix and match your chosen covenant aesthetics with the abilities of another covenant, making a combination perfect for your character.

I just do not understand how people could be so against such creative freedom.

6 Likes

Because it doesn’t add a sense of pride in the choice I made. It doesn’t allow me to actually develop an emotional bond to the choice I committed to.

I was a Prot Paladin in vanilla, arguably one of the worst playstyles you can get in back then. Had I the option to simply go Holy or Ret whenever I felt like the class would have gotten stale, and I wouldn’t force myself to adapt to my unique situation.

Choices and consequences make a game more engaging. It brings more purpose.

Giving us all options at all times makes the feeling mute. It’s like turning cheats on in a game, it actually damages the experience more than helps. That is why I love the current Covenant design.

3 Likes

I don’t buy it. That’s just a low rent excuse. This is a game. Nothing more than a mere video game. The insanely greater majority of us do not make a dime from playing this game. If the game isn’t fun then find a new game.

I’ve played for many years as well, I’ve also taken breaks when I am not having fun. Eventually, I come back.

I don’t see why people are against accepting personal responsibility instead of wanting to easy way out all of the time. Meaningful choices are not a bad thing. Thinking about what we’re doing isn’t bad.

5 Likes

Notice how almost all players in the actual beta have issues with covenants, even blizzards own MVP’s have been roasting them. It’s LFR players and pet battlers on GD forums are the only people defending them purely because they don’t care one way or the other and like seeing “elitists” gameplay damaged.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/covenant-system-design-flaws-discussion/611673

4000 likes, vocal minority btw.

9 Likes

You think 4k “likes” on a forum is a big number… when there are potentially a few million players? lol yeah.

Most players come to the forum to complain, it’s easy to gather support for anything that is against something in the game or something against Blizzard. I’d prove this to you by making a new thread with asinine comments and theories about why Blizzard is so bad and why the game sucks but I don’t care to get spam reported for trolling and it actually gets me actioned.

Yeah I’m not sure why this is so hard to get. Ion says the rip cord exists to fix the problem, and then later says it wasn’t ever really a viable option. It’s either a lie or a misunderstanding of the system he is in charge of.

2 Likes

Nice excuse, where’s your 4k post in support of covenants?

Oh, you don’t have one, every single post about covenants pro covenant players get massively out voted by everyone else.

You’re the minority.

You were wrong about essences.

You were wrong about corruptions.

You’ll be wrong about covenants too.

13 Likes

I think Ion knew a lot more of the hard-core audience was watching and were nervous about covenants.

He said this as a way to totally placate the audience but now we’re finding out (according to him) it’s systemically unfeasible.

2 Likes

You ever see a pro vaccer argue with anti vaccers in their own community? The pro vaccers is downvoted mate

1 Like

“In their own community”

This is the WoW forums, the GD forums themselves are known for being full of casual / bad players (other WoW boards even meme on them) yet pro covenant players are still outnumbered here on their own turf.

7 Likes

Uh oh, rank 1 player coming in. Watch out.

:roll_eyes:

lol

Maybe try having a discussion instead of thinking you’re on a tier that you’re not thinking you can run people down.

1 Like

I wonder what it’s like being someone that feels the need to defend multi billion dollar corporations from their customers when they get called out lol

3 Likes

You can’t have a conversation with you though? You brown nose every bad decision Blizzard makes and use circular logic purely for the sake of arguing.

Once again, you were wrong about essences, you were wrong about corruptions and now you’ll be wrong about this.

15 Likes

While there is often good, constructive player feedback, there are also always a great many voices asking for things that make little sense.

When they appear to be taking player advice, it might mean that they’ve agreed with this all along. But if “player advice” is accompanying a great many outraged forum complaints and a mass exodus of angry players, it’s probably the loss in sub numbers that is triggering a response.

I appreciate you playing vanilla prot pally, respect for that. I played Feral Druid myself (even ot’ed for my raid group, only got to early BWL though), which was also not a popular choice. But I respectfully disagree that these are the same things.

Vanilla specs were more flexible, and less defining. You could respec fairly easily, provided you had the gold for it, and generally speaking as long as you had a couple of the primary talents (like Arms Warrior taking Mortal Strike) you were good to go regardless of your other talent allocations. There was no meta, simming was a very rare thing, and people were entirely new to the game and understood nothing.

Times change. For many classes, there is one covenant ability that greatly outperforns the others. There are also specific buffs in dungeons you can only get with a player who has a specific covenant. These two facts, as well as aesthetic preferences, conflict with each other. You like Venthyr, but Maldraxxus has your best power, and that party needs a Kyrian? You now need to choose between aesthetic, player progression, and fitting in with a dungeon. Talents NEVER did that to you.

And, I get it, not everyone cares about power and prefers the aesthetic. Great. Power to you. But if you ever want to try the other covenants out? Obligatory arbitrary 2 week wait until you can go back to your covenant. Want to try out some new conduits and see if they’re fun? Bam, stuck with them for a week, like it or not.

As for sunk cost fallacy, it is a very real thing, and it affects every aspect of our lives. Whether something is important or not, even something as trivial as a video game, sunk cost fallacy exists. Not everyone will feel it for the same thing, I certainly won’t tell you you couldn’t quit if you tried due to your investment into your character, but many ARE affected by it. We have so many fond memories of our character and our time in WoW that we want to continue loving the game. And indeed, there is several aspects to the game I still enjoy, but… It’s getting harder and harder for me to justify my time here because of the multitudes of poorly designed systems layered on top of each other, designed not to have fun, but to keep me ingame grinding away in my skinner box

Did you play classic? There were a great many different named feral druid builds. When you said what build you were using, everyone knew exactly what you meant, what your capabilities were, and what sort of gear you had in your bag to switch roles.

Of course not. Ion has a background in Law, so he knows how to say things in such a way that it’s Not lying.

It’s just not what we thought he meant.

2 Likes

Yes there were several different builds, alamo says hi, but… it still wasn’t a popular choice. Certainly not before the class revamps came out, which allowed even OOMkin a role, albeit also an unpopular one, hence the name OOMkin.

Granted prot paladins had it far harder as they were more or less the worst even after the class revamps, but still. When like 80% of the enemies in MC are immune to bleed effects, which cat druid relied upon, it’s not gonna be popular :stuck_out_tongue: