Blizzard has heard Night Elf fan points

They never said it was canned

The Horde didn’t even leave an occupation force in Astranaar, they just marched on through, leaving, at best, some rogues that the Alliance player cleaned up after. Then in the mission table missions the Night Elves are defending Astranaar and holding ground all over Ashenvale, to the point that they were sneaking into Azshara to sabotage Bilgewater Harbor.

And given that in “Terror of Darkshore” Malfurion and the Night Elves behind Tyrande were coming out of the trees, for all we know the Night Elves had already taken Ashenvale back before coming to finish things at Darkshore.

Danuser said that the Alliance got the canon wins of both warfronts at Blizzcon, verifying what most things already indicated, that the Night Elves had won the Darkshore Warfront. And with the Fourth War wrapped up now and the Horde offering an armistice and desiring peace, the idea of the Horde trying to reestablish a foothold in Darkshore again seems over.

3 Likes

I think it’s just trashy writing. Ambushing defenders in their home turf historically only happens with small patrols already compromised via spycraft. Theres a reason why “snow speaking Finnish” or “trees speaking vietnamese” is a thing. Something which never happens in Warcraft.

8 Likes

So much of this argument could have been avoided if we had a few cool, visible moments of night elves being as awesome as the devs tell us they’re apparently(?) supposed to be.

As you said, there could be good reasons for a defender to get ambushed in their own turf
 but it gets old after the nth time of that being the only thing we see.

(And it would make this strike even cooler for the Horde, if they were actually outwitting a group who were visibly a spooky powerful enemy, rather than one that every single invasion tactic has worked against already.)

5 Likes

Not entirely.

If you are loud, consistent and get as many people to scream the same message with you, to the point where it looks like a ‘my bad’, they’ll do some effort of house keeping to A) keep our business and B) not look incompetent in front of their shareholders.

They won’t put in the greatest amount of effort to correct it in the short term, mind, but it does lay groundwork for the future. The most recent example I can think of is the original Darkshore, back when it was very bad as opposed to moderately bad.

5 Likes

Let me tell you a story. The original comic book version of Marvel’s Civil War was going to be about a superhero community and the nation divided over two competing views about super-vigilantes
 You would have two opposing but valid views on meta-human registration. Arguments about rights to liberty and privacy vs valid concerns on public safety.

However Marvel threw that away by making sure that aside from Tony Stark, the pro-registration teams were filled with the scummiest low-life villains now given legal license to act against the heroes who had kept them in check. Civil War was a great idea thrown away in the same way Blizzard chucked the Horde story in this expac.

1 Like

And you didn’t see that coming when they announced the War of Thorns and the Burning of Teldrassil? After having played this game as long as you have?

3 Likes

I didn’t.

What can I say? I was still under the influence of that awesome BfA promo cinematic. It seemed to promise all kinds of nuance that never actually happened.

2 Likes

One cinematic vs the history of WoW. I knew what was coming as soon as I saw that picture of the burning tree tbh.

3 Likes

https://imgur.com/a/metOKDi

Horde fans poo-pooing the invasion of Northern Kalimdor is the literal worst.

Saurfang wanted to poo-poo burning Teldrassil but was just fine with organizing the, what, third or so invasion of Night Elf Territory. “Oh woe is me and my dishonorable blow to save the warchief” says the guy who sends Forsaken assassins into Ashenvale to slit everyone’s throats without a fight.

Spare me. The Horde has been an existential threat to peace since they attempted to genocide the Draenei.

6 Likes

attempted to? Look at the path of glory.

I’m just waiting for the Horde to build another path of glory, this time on Azeroth.

6 Likes

2/3rds of the race that draenei are part of are more evil than orcs – that same third also becomes more evil than orcs in the Alternate Universe. if we’re judging orcs for blood relations that currently exist, we must do so for everyone.

1 Like

Well I sure didn’t. I couldn’t really imagine anyone being in charge of a medium of story telling like wow as it is, and just doing a B-Grade carbon copy of SoO2. Its just been a complete and incomprehensible act of vandalism across the board.

3 Likes

But not the Draenei themselves. Very important distinction when talking about the extermination of an entire people.

Debatable. We only see things from the Mag’har perspective.

No one is
 The orcs that geocided the Draenei are still living. The younger orcs have filled the ranks of multiple wars, at least two unprovoked invasions of Alliance territory, and have been perhaps more destructive than any big bad we have faced.

I, personally, think that’s pretty dumb story telling on Blizzards part, but it’s what we have.

6 Likes

Another very important distinction is that orcs didn’t do it until Kil’jaeden corrupted them. 200 peaceful years of trade are 200 peaceful years of trade.

I know. That’s why I said “Currently Exist”
::He would look at the old soldiers.::
They’re also ancient as heck.

And genocide is genocide.

And the demonic corruption is really not an excuse imo. KJ might have convinced Ner’zhul the Draenei were plotting against the orcs, but the genocide of their people was a decision the orcs came to on their own.

4 Likes

Yeah
 details. Right or wrong though Stark still had noble intentions not like most of the mad dogs that were recruited for the Registration team. The idea was that you were supposed to have the option of rooting for either side and feel justified in doing so.

The problem with this is people will do that regardless. The Registration team were the bad guys, period. The idea was that fans of Ironman would cheer for him anyway, not because he was doing anything worth cheering, but just because he is Ironman.

If the goal is moral ambiguity, marvel and wow made the same mistake. There is nothing morally ambiguous about super heroes serving the interests of a totalitarian state, and there is nothing morally ambiguous about edge lords cheering for nelf genocide, and YAS QUEENing Sylvanas, undead fem-hitler.

if you want moral ambiguity, then tell the story from the perspective of an unbias third party. A party who gets stuck in the middle of a conflict of which both sides are wrong, and for one reason or another, is forced to act without fully knowing which decision is the right one to make.

7 Likes

200 years of peaceful trade.