Blizzard has heard Night Elf fan points

Some Horde players were outraged they would take part in the invasion of Night Elf territory at all; they had just spent a full expansion hanging out with their fellow Druids in the order hall, after all. But the War of the Thorns was essential story content; players could either skip it altogether or take part.

Night Elf fans were also unhappy in the Alliance, as it seemed like their revenge for the Burning of Teldrassil was condensed into a single quest chain that ended in a stalemate and a Warfront.

“Fans of the Night Elves have great points they brought up about some of those things, and the intention was to never make Tyrande’s choices feel weak or marginalized in any way,” says Danuser. “But by the same token, we needed the Warfront to be fictionally something that would be engaged in for a long time. We couldn’t resolve things as clean there, but the intent was always to have her story carry forward. This isn’t just a small visual change that’s happened to her. It’s something fundamental to her character, and we’ll explore that much more deeply in Shadowlands.”

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/24/21063847/world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth-lore-interview-steve-danuser

Now we just have to see if what they deliver upon with Tyrande in Shadowlands will actually make Night Elf fans happy.

17 Likes

I strongly doubt they quite understood the qualms of the community.

It’ll be more crap, mark my words.

87 Likes

101 Likes

I wonder how they will let us down this time.

They will never stop spitting on the Night Elves. I think at this point it’s better for the Night Elves to be ignored instead of suffering even more tragedy like they will in Shadowlands.

18 Likes

I’m guessing ‘consumed by vengeance and punished by the story for it’ with a side of ‘framed as making the wrong choice and being selfish by all the other characters’.

39 Likes

Love to see the forsaken who are salty telling us how to feel about what blizzard said hahaha

reminder, dont have to buy shadowlands to find out if blizzard is gonna pull through, just go on wowhead in the summer, all the datamining will tell you if you should buy the game or not.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to getting yelled at by Tyrande in my tour of Ardenwald. It always gives me warm fuzzy feelings when she’s pissed at me.

22 Likes

I wonder if she will die in a quest chain or in a raid :thinking:

7 Likes

Fool me 17 times, shame on me.

56 Likes

They are gonna crucify tyrande and tell her Fans see we listened aren’t you happy.

21 Likes

This is just sad

4 Likes

What is sad? The writers being toxic towards a playable race just because they don’t like it? I agree.

They could just ignore it and let players have their fun instead of ultimately destroying it and kicking it while it’s on the ground.

8 Likes

Neither. Just like Jaina, she’ll give up her night warrior vengeance mode and go back to being relatively nice and only occasionally a sharp quip towards the Horde. Or maybe just completely nice altogether. It may or may not include her admitting to Anduin that he was right and she was wrong. We’ll see.

22 Likes

too early@te

maybe the horde will attack again proving her right, it can go any ways tbh
Elesane just bugs me cause she thinks the story is set in stone now

1 Like

Hopefully we won’t see Anduin or Jaina during Shadowlands.

21 Likes

I hope we won’t see Anduin ever again, any other alliance leader is far more interesting and Anduin is just annoying.

10 Likes

I hope we barely see any racial leaders during shadowlands. I’m kinda sick of them always hanging around. Like don’t you have governments to run? I will murder the 15 naga today on my own, you can go back to Silvermoon or whatever.

27 Likes

Why not? there would be no way to have conflict if she is alone.
my hope is that tyrande is proven right, and she says it at anduin’s face.

She can improve them.
wouldn’t be great if this time tyrande is right?.

7 Likes

“A lot of the time, if [players] see something in the game, they take it for granted that it’s the absolute truth,” says lead narrative designer Steve Danuser in an interview with Polygon. “It could be a book they read on a shelf somewhere, it could be something a drunk guy in a bar says to you at one time or another. Whereas in the real world, if you ran into a drunk guy in a bar and he says something to you, you’re not going to say ‘oh, absolutely, that must be the way that it is!’”

“It’s not that we’re trying to deceive the player, it’s that we’re trying to present them with, ‘hey, here’s this living, breathing world full of real people,’” says Danuser. “Like there are in the real world, and people interpret things differently and convey things differently.”

I don’t really get what he’s talking about here. There’s very little lore in WoW that you get exclusively through a book or from a rumor told to you by a townsperson. For the most part, you’re there. You do the quest, and you are a firsthand witness.

9 Likes