Blizzard did not think the WoW Token through

Blizzard… what kind of lack of awareness do you have to have to miss such a huge loophole??

Currently, numerous gold-selling websites are offering sizable amounts of gold, such as 6,500 gold, for less than $10. In comparison, a WoW Token for a monthly subscription requires ~5,700 gold.

Why would players choose to spend $15 per month on a subscription from Blizzard when they can easily acquire the necessary gold from an external source at a considerably lower cost and just buy a token for a subscription?

You all are losing money to gold sellers probably at a higher rate now after introducing the token.

200 IQ moves, Blizz…

Inb4 Blizz artificially inflates the price of WoW tokens.

10 Likes

Players are already not interested in buying the token at it’s current price of ~5,700 gold. Why would they be more interested in buying it if Blizzard artificially inflates the price? Think things through.

4 Likes

You read the whole post and your problem was not that Blizz is actively incentivizing gold sites, but it was that people wont buy the token still if the sell price is inflated?? :thinking:

It’s not my job to come up with solutions to WoW token problems. Simply pointing out a huge oversight :dracthyr_hehe:

I did the same lol used my wrath gold to buy three tokens . My question is when my gametime runs out will I be able to log in months from now to use the gametime token in my bags?

If WotLK works like retail tokens, yes. I was out of game time last month, and when I logged in it asked if I wanted to use the gold I had across my characters to buy a token.

I already have the tokens though so I wonder if I will have the option to use one.

I ain’t using my credit card on some random gold site.

7 Likes

The only way they could do that, is if blizzard generated the gold out of nothing. Say the set the token to 10,000g. No one is selling their gold for their token, but people buying a token with cash would get the gold.

The token price is supposed to be player driven supply and demand. The amount of uses one has for a wow token has negatively impacted demand, so there is more supply, so the price drops to find a buyer.

If blizzard lets the wow token be exchanged for blizzard bucks, it would increase demand and the price will go up.

1 Like

Why does it seem so hard for people to grasp that tokens are paid for by someone else in cash

Blizzard makes more money if you get you sub via a token, it might be free for you but that month was paid for by someone

And at a higher cost

9 Likes

its 4.8k in faerlina lol anyone can pick that up. all this weird nonsense and not adding rdf. strange times indeed

2 Likes

Imagine putting your credit card numbers on any kind of website in 2023.

OP, you really need to think through your own nonsense.

Buying from Blizz will get you gold and you don’t risk your account receiving a vacation.

Buying from a random site (may) get you gold, but you run the risk of getting the vacation (which could lead to a longer/permanent account closure for repeat offenders).

Not to mention you risk jeopardizing your bank card to an unsafe site which could lead to much longer ramifications/fraud.

Also, fixed this for you.

2 Likes

Where, at any point in my post, did I say that I had bought gold or was planning to purchase gold?

I am simply pointing out the fact that this is possible.

And you need to work on your reading comprehension…

Blizzard makes more money overall with subs and tokens than on subs alone. You probably fill your gas tank up when it’s half full thinking you’re beating the system too.

2 Likes

As someone else pointed out every token sold on the AH is because someone gave 20$ to Blizzard. Also if there were a lot of people interested in buying the token on the AH to pay for their subscription, the price in gold would go up. That’s the whole system. The difference between the Blizzard price and the unofficial gold seller prices basically reflects how players on average value the risk of buying gold from those sources.

Where did I ask if you were buying gold? I don’t see any question marks in the statement you quoted.

Follow your own advice.

While you’re at it, take some English language courses before you try to tell someone to work on their reading comprehension.

that’s not gonna happen, because even if certain players buys gold from website to buy AH token to sub cheaper! that still doesn’t change the fact that others who need safe gold are buying Shop-Token in mass numbers to play it on AH and this is exactly why token sell for less than 5k gold because demand on shop-token is higher than the demand on Ah-token, for that reason blizzard are making more money because they only care about selling Shop-token! they don’t care if those tokens are bought via ah or not, they got the 20$ per each token on AH, they won’t refund it even if it never sold.

exactly, blizzard set the base token price for first token ever to 10k, they gave gold high value, they intended to make token sell for low amount of gold on the AH because if you are rich and willing to buy 150k Safe GOLD, then you will buy 30x token for 600$ “u won’t go to 3rd party to get them for 200$ and risk the ban since u r rich anyway” and this is how blizzard profit at the best by making gold more valuable and forcing token on shop to sell for very amount of gold on ah.

indeed, and some people can’t understand this simple fact that u risk getting your CC stolen, u risk getting scammed and you risk that your battle net account get banned.

that won’t benefit blizzard since gold seekers will buy less token if token gave them higher amount of gold,

omg a smart cow :smiley:
tbh the broke people who sub via token have almost zero iq, that’s why they’re poor in the first place lol.

Everyone here commenting on how Blizzard is still making money is missing the entire point of this post. We KNOW that Blizz will get their money. In fact they will get $5 more than if the player had just paid for a normal subscription.

My point I am trying to make is simply that there is now another incentive for players to buy gold. Blizzard added in the token to try and combat RMT, and all they did was add another reason why someone might want to buy gold. The person buying gold on illicit sites doesn’t care that some schmuck paid $20 for the token. That is irrelevant to them, and irrelevant to this conversation.

3 Likes

Your original post said “you are all losing money to gold sellers”. Blizzard is not losing money. Unless you mean that players are wasting money paying for a sub while they could buy gold, but like I said price difference reflects the valued risk.

And so much so that the gold cost is as low as it is, yet still (apparently) players are purchasing a lot of tokens, keeping the gold prices for them low!

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like