Blizzard Banning Players Exploiting Reputation

Assuming its on an account-specific basis, is there anything to stop those players from just working on characters on another account?

I get that those characters would not benefit from whatever exploit was used on the main account, but the players themselves could be boosted by their guild and by gold transferred to them from their main account. At least, I’m assuming that’s the sort of thing that they could be doing.

scorched earth sends a clear message and prevents that type of behavior, otherwise it may always seem worth the risk. The message has to be, it’s never worth the risk. Only way to get that message is by overly steep penalties that far outmatch the action done and its rewards. Without such message there will always be people thinking its worth the risk and doing it again.

Mythic isn’t until the 17th lol. No one doing the race cares about heroic except for splits.

I think exhausting them to be brink of passing out in order to keep up would send a clear message. They would feel compelled to do the raid, but the entire experience would be miserable and they would still be out of the race. I find this to be worse than being removed from the raid.

I bet the players from the WF teams that got banned will just get another account handed to them with maxed out characters all geared up to compete in the race like nothing happened.

Why else risk something like that if they don’t have a backup plan?

It’s quite an ask to level another 8+ characters

doesn’t really deserve sympathy. They’re on perilously thin ice if not already breaking the rules, and should know that.

Yes rep is supposed to be one-time only. Obviously.

1 Like

Just depends on how easy it was to do.

I almost did it by accident leveling alts. While that doesn’t excuse people obviously exploiting I would hope there is some wiggle room

1 Like

the rwf raiders and other players that had actual benefit from this via rwf or streaming $$ will not be hurt by this. they will jump on 1 of their many other accounts that are not linked and get on as normal.

average joe players that were just playing the early access that they paid for and just by being logged in on more than 1 linked bnet account where the rep got unintentionally double dipped got hit by this wave and are the real victims.

blizzard got to get their act together before pulling the rug.

Yea they banned method players with a 4 day ban slap on the wrist when it would of been a perma with regular players. The favoritism is absurd.

intentional or not you still benefitted from an exploit

According to one of the more trusted content creators that has been a blizzard employee in the past there is a bit of a tipping scale. If you only did such a thing once or twice you would likely mostly go unnoticed depending on the severity of the exploit i’m sure of course.

1 Like

If by perilously thin ice, you mean they are partaking in a play style that has been expressly condoned by blizzard, sure man.

And your views of reputation being obvious are formed 3 weeks into the expansion. Mine were in the first days of EA after seeing it work the same way in DF. Obvious and different than the same system applied a month prior in DF are mutually exclusive.

I’m not sure I agree on that. I agree that if someone is obviously exploiting a known bug, they should be punished for it. But the only way you can tell if someone is doing so deliberately is if they’re not following normal play patterns. What bothers me with this exploit is that the way you perform it is just playing the game normally while you have a second license logged in. Something multiboxers do all the time. I don’t pull out a calculator to make sure my rep makes sense every time I do a world quest and should we really be surprised that players are doing all the new content in the first two weeks of a new expansion?

Rollback the rewards for sure. Malicious or not they still progressed far faster than Blizzard intended. But suspensions should generally be reserved for malicious behavior and I find this particular exploit being too easy to benefit from repeatedly without malicious intent.

then the rep should of been rolled back for those that did not exploit the bug.

again just by being logged into a 2nd account on the same bnet would of incured a double dip of the rep.

there are people that logged in on a 2nd account while questing on main and got hit, meanwhile they are only renowned 7.

Good. I would have preferred 7 days, but 4 is fine. It sends a message

If all of the progress and rewards arent rolled back, the exploit and 4day ban will still be worth exploiting

About time this kinda thing happens but to hear it happened to a team that competes in the world fist race… that’s something right there. Hopefully with a penalty present people will learn to stop exploiting stuff as I mean it may be four days this time but is losing your account and possibly being unable to make a new one truly worth it to exploit stuff?

I think it still hurts their plans, but yea there’s favoritism everywhere, even in professional sports.

What message, that if you are a world first raider then you get a slap on the wrist with a 4 day ban due to favoritism over players who would of got perma banned who weren’t world first raiders or streamers. :rofl: