Blizzard Any Plans For Pride Month?

Yes, implying you’re free to ignore the event. The second post was replying to someone wanting a straight pride event. Straight pride isn’t a real event and that’s implying that pride event only allows LGBT. That’s not true and everyone is free to join regardless. The same can’t be said for a straight pride event.

It’s called Pride celebration. not LGBT celebration. Don’t take things out of context.

We’re way too late for that.

• The micro transaction helmets from Wrath are still somewhat vilified by those who recognize them.
  • Store mounts are still something that I’ve, personally, received stupid whispers about being a shill over.
  • The yeti costume, and the sprite darter costume, are both polarizing on occasion.

Honestly I’m going to argue that you shouldn’t let that stop you from making cosmetics that people will like. Let the people who are outright awful about it get reported until they’re banned.

“They’ll kick me if I don’t like their Tabard.”

Say nothing and move on. If you clarify that you didn’t like it then… what did you expect when you expressed an exclusionary and divisive opinion?

This would be no more common than anything else. It’s a farce, and you’re abusing the slippery slope fallacy on the idea that it would become meaningfully problematic. There’s no evidence that it would become a widespread problem. Just because you can imagine it doesn’t mean it’s a slippery slope, you need evidence that it would be an actual problem.

All you have is “some people suck” and those people are already kicking people for all sorts of reasons.

Cosmetics already divide the community. I’ve been yelled at for not mogging my gear. Literally sat in a group with my husband, once, and got vote kicked because I wasn’t transmogged. Saw the reasoning on his screen at the time it was happening.

Don’t give me the “we don’t need more reasons” line, either. We don’t need more reasons because we have enough reasons already. Let’s say 2% of people engage in this behavior. Adding another way to be exclusionary won’t make it go from 2% to 5%, it’ll just make the 2% more diverse about why they’re exclusionary.

TLDR

It’s not going to make the problem worse. It’s just going to give the same number of people already doing it a new argument for why they do it. It’s a net zero change.

2 Likes

Wait, hold on.

It’s homophobic to not go to a pride event? Why? Maybe I Just don’t want to go to a pride event because I’m not interested in going to an event today.

How is that homophobic?

1 Like

You’re taking my post out of context. It’s homophobic to say you’d go to a straight pride event, but not a regular pride event. Pride event includes everyone, not just the LGBT community. Also, it’s not LGBT pride, its just pride. Implying straight pride should be an event, is saying in broad terms only straight people allowed.

I agree it’s dumb and it’s not real, but it doesn’t really excuse the inconsistency in your words your saying to people. As i’ve said before, that would like in that example i’ve just said.

And nobody is arguing against the fact that people can join other people’s celebrations like Pride event and such.

If there is a straight pride month or what have you, then they would be equally as inclusive as the others like the gay pride month as well. If the idea is inclusiveness, then yes, you should have people who aren’t what you are to join in.

There’s no reason to assume that one isn’t inclusive other then straight up malice.

That is a good and fair enough point. I just think this cosmetic in particular if it did come to fruition, would be the worst of it at all, considering the audience it’s trying to aim for, and how quickly weaponized it will be to used against somebody for labels and such (Something while on the internet, sure, is proven to get people into trouble and it’s not entirely a “Just brush it off” sort of thing), much like the other examples you have bought up.

Fine i’l conceive on that, but we should remember that this isn’t something we should just brush off as “No problem” sort of thing and should be at least a call for concern on something like this, just because i have no evidence on this. I mean just the fact alone you said “Cosmetics already divide the community” shouldn’t dismiss my concern entirely.

you say that like it’s something to be proud of. Blizzard knows that their Chinese playerbase will throw out money like nobody’s business on microtransactions. If you want to be Blizzard’s next cash cow as a community, go for it.

They’ve actually done a pretty good job of integrating it into the game, nobbel even has a video on the story of it.

Not really in the same vein at all.

Quite frankly, those wanting a straight pride month are those who disagree with the LGBT movement and only want to make a “straight pride” to spite the other side and don’t understand the reason for having a pride celebration to begin with. It’s well documented and there have been some straight pride movements who are only there to mock the lgbt community and call them immorally wrong. It’s deplorable.

1 Like

…Okay, this straight pride parade video you’ve found, it’s an elaborate joke.

I mean this video has a guy dressed up in a shark costume, there’s a santa clause, and it all started on facebook of all places.

Yes it is funny because of how silly the entire event is. Although silly, there’s plenty of serious people who believe in what is being said and support the movement. It’s disguised disrespect for the pride community. You can’t tell me everyone there is for the giggles, as proven by many of those interviewed in this specific video. Plenty of other videos out there to show other events and activists who are pushing their hatred for pride events.

Well - A Gay man was apparently the Marshal of a Straight pride parade in Boston - the Hill did a article about it.

And the same can be said for anything, any group, any political alignment and so on.

There’s always gonna be serious people who will believe in a silly joke that was said and support it as if it’s the movement.

That would be like if i make an anti-straight pride parade with lobster claws and Vanilla Ice for my singer for the express purposes of trolling the right, then i have all these people who are actually serious with it join me as if it’s a real movement.

This parade literally exists just to troll the left. I just think those people who thought it was a serious movement was being dense in not realizing that.

Is hatred defined by labeling and accusing people who have a slightest bit of dissenting opinion? Because i honestly can’t think of anything more hateful then that, considering all it does is make the side the person doing the name calling on, look worse to other people who might not be involved.

I only saw the one quoted bit. Thank you for clarification.

It’s the whole “All Lives Matter” response to “Black Lives Matter.” At best it’s whataboutism, at worst it’s intentionally dismissive. It doesn’t really matter what the intent is, though, because it all undermines the original situation.

There’s no reason to have “Straight Pride Month.” It’s always “Straight Pride” time. All of society ultimately celebrates, enriches, and is geared towards, straight people. “Pride Month” is about people who aren’t already allowed to be themselves at all times, in all places, with full recognition.

As a gay man I can live my life without ever saying I’m gay outside, maybe, of trying to see if someone else is for dating purposes. I can have friends, family, pets, jobs, hobbies, and so on. By all accounts I can live a perfectly “normal” life just by existing.

Unfortunately the reality is that I always feel ‘outside’ of the normal groups. Movies rarely represent me. I never get to see things I can relate to, such as social issues relating to it. No one is up there talking about how you just don’t have that “sameness” as everyone else.

Straight people always have that for their sexuality. Like gay people, straight people can also experience this about niche things they like. I don’t always feel like people get me with gaming, and that’s true for straight people do. Yet all those things that can make us feel separate have entire groups devoted to them. Which are overwhelmingly straight people already. I don’t, personally, want a “Gaymers’R’Us” event, cause the regular gaming events are totally fine, but I wouldn’t mind if those events recognized I existed, or if those mediums explored my world a bit.

I doubt that anyone with good intentions would have made a “Straight Pride Month” out of malice. That doesn’t mean that it’s not ignorant, harmful, and a marker of someone who’s part of the problem.

Just because you don’t intend to harm people doesn’t mean you’re not being harmful and awful.

My point there was really more of a commentary that the thing you want to avoid is already happening. I genuinely don’t think it’ll get more common in this situation.
I do not trust Google to decide what’s true or not.

I’m not a believer in social engineering. Trying to change the way a group behaves based on how you build the system around them? It’s not that there aren’t impacts, it’s just that it rarely goes like you expect.

It’s vaguely like the whole “Classic WoW” thing. A lot of people tried to argue that things should be changed “just enough” to recreate the social experience of Vanilla. The reality is that trying to engineer a specific player base is not only impossible (how could you manage the psychology of tens of thousands of people all at once?), but tends to work out very poorly (only some people will react the way you want, with a large middle group acting in their own ways chaotically, and then another small group who actively tries to undermine the changes).

2 Likes

No point in arguing with you any further. If you think it’s a joke than so be it. That doesn’t make it right and further divides the community. Good luck!

1 Like

How is it a bad thing?

I will say that i do think the idea of equality has merit that is yet to be explored in a way that isn’t discriminatory to either side, if the idea is inclusion. Humans, regardless of what they are and such, should be treated equally in all if not, most situations. Nobody should lose their job, home and such over because of a trait they can’t change. The only sort of “gatekeeping” if you will, should exist in a world where it’s who you are or what can and you cannot do matter.

I know it’s conversational to say this, but while i think artists should be have control over what they want to see (it is their stuff their making), if they are going to include… well basically anything, it should be done in a way that naturally fits or adds or only if it calls for it.

I should clear up that, implying that one isn’t inclusive other is straight up malice.

That’s fair enough.

I just really wish this sort of thing would just stop or go away in entirely because while people are in the right to have passion towards cosmetics, it does sadden me when that passion can be pushed far into the point where it becomes division, way beyond just playful banter or silly jokes or even just constructive criticisms… :confused:

2 Likes

I highly doubt you want to avoid debating with me because i think the video is an obvious joke, but more that you know that this sort of thing, and the things you are telling me applies to the other side and everything else as well, as well me bringing up the labeling and accusing people bit. (Which also applies to everything as well).

Even then, why pray tell, you want me to take a video seriously that has santa clause in there, and a guy dressed up as a shark? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m not going to let it have power over me by being upset over it and think it’s more then a joke, because or despite my political leaning. If anything, it just serves as a sort of reaction trap to just expose the flaws in both sides, not just one side.

Maybe if you’re eluding that disguised disrespect and/or dogwhilsting (if you will) is bad to do, then sure, but this applies to both sides as well everybody. Because not applying that consistently with people, doing this “they are bad for X, but we aren’t bad for X” is just playing double standard. Hypocritical. Inconsistent.

Neither is the labeling and accusing people of something because they have even the slightest of dissenting opinion.

2 Likes

This thread shouldn’t exist. It’s so far off topic that it should be closed.

1 Like

Nothing to see here :smiley:

1 Like

What did you get reported for?

It’ll stay up for the next week, and manage to hit 2 or 3k replies before it’s over.