Blizz said the majority wanted flight

So what you’re saying is that it’s “relevant” forever, even though you’ve done it so many times you are no longer paying attention to what snippets of badly-written story it’s supposed to portray, and the rewards have never been better than “gee, that always feels like a waste of time, why am I doing this at all?”

3 Likes

You have no idea if it was the lack of any meaningful content or if it was actually the lack of flying. It could be both, it could be one or the other. You would need to collate the data and I suspect that only Blizzard has the actual numbers-- assuming everyone a) took the exit survey and b) they all answered honestly.

To an extent they’ll always remain relevant. But there will be a drop off point where players will be in those zones because they finished up everything they wanted to do in the next major hub.

Just like when flying was added to Legion when the Broken Shore was available, BfA will get flying with Nazjatar.

I disagree. Legion was a mid tier expansion for me.

It ruined all forms of PvP, had an alt unfriendly AP system, RNG legendaries that on the first raid was capped to only 4 and could go on for multiple raids of bad RNG until you got your BiS legendaries, even more class pruning with a pretty meh story. And even then flight was a controversial topic because they waited a bit before implementing it with Pathfinder.

To you, Legion was one of the best expansions. Not for everyone though.

Considering that they caved hard after the massive pushback from the playerbase for them to bring in flying I’d say that would be a good indicator. And yeah there was little to no content in WoD for sure and I’m sure that pushed a lot of people away. Both were massive issues in WoD.

But oh my god. The rage from players when they announced they had no intentions of implementing flight in WoD zones was crazy.

Correlation is not causation. The dip in subscription numbers was probably a multivariate phenomenon and you’d be hard pressed to find any hard data that indicates the lack of flying was truly the reason.

You can draw on the backlash for some very reasonable speculation, but it’s still speculation at the end of the day.

Then you would remember Blizzard stated they were removing flight completely and were forced to change their minds because of the players.

6 Likes

Considering it was during the year of record breaking profits for Blizzard and It’s Blizzard’s biggest IP I’d say you’re wrong. Sorry you didn’t enjoy it and everyone else did. :rofl:

Except it doesn’t. I don’t feel more immersed looking at a tree that is obscuring my vision, nor having to ride halfway across the map to find the path through a mountain. It also doesn’t kill things for me, complete world quests, run raids, run dungeons, do weekly quests so in reality it isn’t skipping any content.

5 Likes

Yet flight for only half the game remains through every expansion since. :rofl:

To be fair, two things can be true at once. It was a record-breaking expansion that Jalen didn’t like.

There’s an objective and subjective component to the reception of each expansion.

1 Like

If flying doesn’t change the way you play your character, how are you immersed in it? Is it the flight you enjoy, or merely the convenience of it?

If the next expansion starts out as anti-climactic as this one I will probably wait until flying is available before even beginning to play.

2 Likes

I’m aware. Thing is Blizzard will more than likely never put that information out so all we have is speculation. WoD did have its issues but I don’t think the pushback can be denied as one of the bigger issues that the expansion had. Players like flying and I agree with your post about expanding on that idea 100%. I share the same mindset as you in that regard and would wish that Blizzard would just stop trying to fight against it and try to implement designs like the one you put forward.

Record breaking profits or not, that doesn’t really affect how I and many of my friends and guildies felt about Legion. It forced me to change my playstyle entirely because the avenue I wanted to pursue was just rolled up and tossed aside for raiding.

Oh no, you don’t get to dismiss flight as ‘convenient’. It’s only a ‘convenience’ so I shouldn’t fuss when it’s taken away from me. I paid both gold and real money for these flying mounts to FLY, not to grub about on the ground. Sure it’s convenient for me among other things, that’s why I’m going to fight if someone wants to take it away. “merely a convenience” indeed.

5 Likes

As long as we all acknowledge that. And if you’re willing to agree that it’s only speculation, you should probably stop touting ‘ReMeMbEr WoD???’ as evidence of anything at all.

I hate to break it to you, but that’s all that flight is. Flight offers no character agency, no character choice, no progression, no customization, no alternative playstyles, nothing. It’s a big fat quality of life bandaid that lets you move faster, and move in the Z-Axis. It’s sound and animations overlaid on top of your character go give you the illusion of being in a saddle, when in fact anytime you fly and your graphics haven’t fully loaded in and you see your character sprinting through the air, you realize exactly what it is-- smoke and mirrors, nothing more than a run speed modifier. That is not gameplay.

Do you realize how entitled you sound when you describe the baseline experience of the game as ‘grubbing around on the ground’?

Flying is easy to abuse and exploitative, it shrinks the world and makes it smaller. You’re being purposefully ignorant if you don’t see how.

Well, it doesn’t change how I feel on the position I made. Again, there was pretty significant pushback from players to incorporate flying after they announced they had no intentions of bringing it back. To me, it’s not a moment in WoWs history to just ignore when the subject of “Do players actually like flying” is brought up.

When talking about looking for proof, the only reference that everyone remembers is the WoD scenario. There isn’t any information for us to believe whether or not removing flight would be a detriment to the game or not. But what we can say is that when they looked to do that a good amount of players from WoD were not happy and voiced their concern about the subject matter. So much that Blizzard caved and presented the Pathfinder.

Welp sorry if you didn’t enjoy something that the majority of players did. Obviously Legion could have been better but it was a pretty stellar expansion regardless.

Well no one’s telling you what or how to feel. I’m just asking you remember it may not be super compelling.

Honestly Legion was great until 8.2 8.2 was garbage. I knew the return of Alleria and Turalyon was going to be a hokey mess and then everything with turning her into a Void Queen. Oof.

Just stupid.

Well, for the people that stuck around that is. We’re in the dark on how many people stayed after the initial launch and how each patch played out in terms of sub numbers.

I was pretty much forced into raiding since they destroyed PvP with templates and removed the vendor. And only 2 of the raids I enjoyed. That being the first and last one. Everything in between was a mess to me. Except ToV because we didn’t do it until the end of the xpac.

Yeah I personally hated templates as well, but having the most legendary weapons in the game usable by every class was insane. That alone was a huge thing. Mage tower was awesome, I got a handful of ones I really wanted (lock, rogue, paladin, druid & warrior)

Overall I liked the expansion a ton, more than any past expansion aside from when I first started really raiding in BC & LK.