Blizz said the majority wanted flight

I have no problem with the pathfinder compromise. It might just be my imagination but it seems like with each expansion since it was implemented that they have drawn it out longer and longer and take their sweet time putting it back in. That part is annoying and frustrating.

1 Like

The art team is literally the only good part of WoW these days. If being grounded is what it takes to make them feel appreciated, I’m perfectly fine with that. That team is carrying this whole game right now and their back’s gonna give out any day now.

Also you’re absolutely kidding yourself if you think people aren’t auto-running in a straight line on their flying mounts and alt-tabbing just like they do on flight paths.

1 Like

Ah many’s the time I returned to my computer to find myself dead over the ocean. I didn’t mean to go so far, but was distracted
should have paid for a flight but I’m not a good gold farmer. I stand by my original premise that the ‘bird-eye’s-view’ is still the best way to see the artwork. How can I see it all if the near stuff is in the way? With grounded content I don’t tend to do that as much, because everything’s so much closer—I don’t need to cross half of Kalimdor anymore. But as I slog my way through trash mobs respawning before I finish off the last of the group just trying to get somewhere, I’m not looking at the pretty pictures and I’m not having fun. Running around Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms on a leveling alt (no flying yet) I don’t need to slavishly stick to roads, I can run between beasties. The smaller worlds don’t have quite that kind of space and refills so quickly.

1 Like

I can dig that. BUt its a case of agree to disagree this may have to break down to.

See here is why I like flying. Its a havoc spec rp to follow.

Me on my ironreaver. twin headed mean lizard with jet engines
all about that rushing into combat mean as hell. Looking like it anyway.

I fly in air cavalry style from the movie apocalypse now style and hit the enemy hard.

Vice the ground mount.

I can just see the guards of the camp going
“we see you. we’ve seen you meander up the road for 2 minutes now. Can you move faster please?”

Also in terms of scenery this game looks better from the air. Stormheim imo looks lovely as you take to the skies. the trees and such. Lovely view from the air. And you take in its nice mountainous vistas.

On the mountain trails here or in HM when not able to fly I’d not take this is in. It was more like
 f -word
took the wrong path, lets backtrack and do this
again.

1 Like

Also you’re absolutely kidding yourself if you think people aren’t auto-running in a straight line on their flying mounts and alt-tabbing just like they do on flight paths.

I dont know anyone that does this at all.

3 Likes

This is my main problem with flying and mounts in general. The look very nice. But they only look nice.

I’d much rather that mounts be a separate form of appreciable gameplay, not simply nice sounds and animations layered on top of a movement speed modifier.

The only area (to me) that looked better with flying was boringmaul in WoD. Flying just needs to come out sooner. Though the xpac had been rather good about no stupid winding paths.

They really need to stop trying to hold this off. Players experienced the zones through the leveling. The World Quests and World Bosses don’t really add anything into the equation. They should have focused more on trying to design the zones with flight in mind. Like high locations that can only be reached through flight or some kind of reward for exploring the zones further.

Personally, I had no issues with how they did it in MoP. Zones were massive, had plenty of high locations, and newer zones that were introduced were ground only. Just bring that back.

4 Likes

Those zones aren’t just leveling zones anymore. A significant part of the end-game takes place in those very same zones, so even though you’ve finished leveling in them they’re still relevant.

Relevant? Of course they are. But there’s really not much in terms of “experiencing the content” after you’re done leveling. They could either

A. Revamp the WQ system to be more dynamic and interesting
B. Just bring in flying

Because personally, the WQs in BFA are pretty boring. They didn’t really grow on how they could improve on them from Legion.

2 Likes

Flying is also in a dire need of a revamp. But I also agree that making the ground content more interesting and exciting is a better long-term change.

What revamp do you think there needs to be in flying? Maybe something similar to what GW2 is doing with their mounts?

Even more than that.

Battle pets got a class system and schools to sort themselves into. You could easily do that for mounts.

I’m thinking that mounts should exist as a separate aspect to your character, like the horse in Shadow of the Colossus and Red Dead Redemption. Aspects of the mounts in Guild Wars 2 would be great. But why stop there?

Racial affinities, gaining experiences and levels with a mount you really like, more passives, more bonuses, the ability to give it equipment like we give our followers. Maybe you kit out a really hardy kodo for your herb farming. Maybe you equip your horse for the ability to take you into a fight.

There’s a ton of untapped potential in a mount revamp from the ground up, but people have to want it badly enough and not just settle for a cheap flyhack.

A significant part of the end-game takes place in those very same zones, so even though you’ve finished leveling in them they’re still relevant.

They were the same in Legion and we had flight then.

Dayon, mounts in FF14 fight beside you.

Can you prove the majority of players want flight? If not, then this is pointless.

WoD

/10 characters

8 Likes

I don’t see any proof, still. Considering Legion had the same set up and is un-arguably one of the best expansions the game has ever had.

Then you weren’t paying attention back then.

6 Likes

I was. I was also playing during Legion one of the almost un-arguably best expansions the game has ever had that had the same flight restrictions as WoD.