Black character screen

Continuing the discussion from 8.1.5 Known Issues & Information:

Same problem with black character screen on deatbwing - uninstalled and reinstalled still same problem , retired this morning same problem . Blizzard need to fix asap already missed my raid last night do to their incompetence

2 Likes

Are you using any apps that use overlays, such as Discord?

3 Likes

I am having same problems and was also having loading issues when zoning right before the patch. Even had skirmishes where my teammates wouldn’t even show me yet they were there. WoW needs a emergency fix on whatever going on.

This was shared in another report about the black screen issue. I tried the first one shared by Calaart and it worked just fine. I haven’t had a problem since.

in the battle net launcher, click the blizzard logo in the top left, go to settings

game settings

go down to world of warcraft

check the box “additional command line arguments”

then in the text box that appears type “-d3d11” without the "

Alada shared this option. I haven’t had a chance to try it out because the first one fixed my issue but some people said the first fix didn’t work for them and this one did.

1.World of warcraft
2.retail
3.WTF
4.Config
5. Find the line that says SET gxApi “D3D12” and switch to “D3D11”

3 Likes

This worked for me but poses the question… what changed with the patch? I thought my settings, card and drivers were compatible with dx12. I had to revert back to 11 to load into the zones.

So I just tried to open the game and got the black screen.

I closed the program, closed discord, restarted Bnet desktop App and the game opened just fine.

To confirm I closed wow again, opened Discord and tried to open wow and received the black screen again.

Like Leviathan above me said, if you are using discord in-game overlays then you will most likely get the black screen unless you open Bnet > WoW then open your discord.

Good Luck!

Worked like a charm thanks guys!

2 Likes