Big Blood Elf Customization Thread

I could be thinking of a different one, but I do remember Avarie asking about new customization and being told they weren’t working on any at the time. That was old though, so it’s probably not what you guys are talking about. I was away for most of 9.1.

4 Likes

avarie mentioned something about blood elf farstrider tattoos and if they were even passing along others’ feedback like blood elves, linxy said yes

1 Like

Yeah I believe that one was the one where they said feedback was being passed on but the focus right then was ARs.

2 Likes

Avarie specifically asked about BEs and linxy specifically said they were just doing ARs at the time.

It was just funny given the fact this was after the fact they allowed VEs in the core race pass, so now suddenly there’s a standard of “we’re just doing ARs rn” :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Yeah, I still don’t understand how they’ve managed to get new customizations in every customization pass so far, it’s like what about every other race and I’m not just talking Blood Elves because there’s way more races than just Void Elves.

2 Likes

That would be wonderful!

I always forget there is only one dark ranger tone.

All of this.

So much this.

This!

Communication is a major issue with blizzard. So many things could be better if they’d just share what they’re doing and when we can expect things. Even if it’s with a “we can’t guarantee it exactly then but that’s the plan” caveat.

I’m still a bit hopeful that we’ll see the other BfA ARs get a run at 9.2.5 but 10.0 will be relooking at core races.

3 Likes

There is another NPC undead skin for blood elves, a kind of pallid green with a rotting effect applied to the face (all faces), but it’s male only and has no underwear.

Here’s an NPC using it:

5 Likes

Ah Dar’khan Drathir.

What a geek.

That was supposed to be another word but I’m amused now so it’s staying.

4 Likes

It’s a bit of a pity they didn’t give his in-game model the dorky fedora

Also the sample warpaints look great. Another one that I wish was on the table is stuff like the phoenix sleeve tat on farstrider Hanzo (admittedly it’s probably more fitting for a unique NPC like Lor’themar or a hypothetical updated Halduron - although I’d rather he was in the Nighthold tier gear), even if like the body jewelry it would be completely invisible in 99% of gear

3 Likes

My suggestion at the time that tattoos, warpaint and the jewelry were being teased was more mogs to be able to show that off. And for the body jewelry, it could go over some pieces.

6 Likes

Warcraft logs is important.

How can you parse if you don’t have any logs?

2 Likes

At the very least DHs would have the requisite shirtlessness by default (and I guess there are emperor’s new clothes options for every slot in tmog now)

Also and this is less character model customization and more general character options that happen to relate to blood elves heavily but

• Lynxes, Dragonhawks and Hawkstriders need updates; if they ever touch up on Quel’thalas even a little bit it would be neat if Hawkstriders were an actual mob (with pet options comparable to tallstriders?) - it’s especially visible how old the model is getting on the new hawkstriders (white hawkstrider from legion and the void chocobo) - a tiny part of me would love if they had void-touched versions in Telogrus but I guess that would take away from their decision to make the rift stalker the velf starter pet?
  • It would be neat if a bunch of lowbie greens were included that used the art from Quel’thalas white gear (suncured leather armor is still the only full gearset that does, leaving the unadorned mail, about half the weapons, plus the old, now unobtainable initiate’s and apprentice’s gear for clothies, paladins, and warriors), maybe as level 10/20 baby greens. Again if I went nuts with my requests, void-cured/void-touched variants would also be neat velf starter gear if they ever decided to go back to distinct starter sets rather than the silliness of decking every new toon in Stormwind’s latest fashions.

Edit: Also I think I’d warm a lot more to the jewelry options if they came with the tats, warpaints and scars and hair options for the same cuts without jewelry rather than standalone like they were presented. I think in theory it could transcend the valley girl nonsense but that would probably require fantasy writers who remember that not every warrior culture is about being gruff and unkempt, a lot if not most were about looking your best especially when there was a chance you’d die.

6 Likes

The secret is that except for eyes, it’s all been low effort copy paste of textures and colors, not unique assets.

I’m really hoping that we get some new customizations soon. While I’m not really expecting the wretched option I not at all secretly want, it’s a damn shame there’s not a proper option for dark rangers. For the other magical elves, belves look a little vanilla next to the nightborn, and I’d love runic tattoos and scarification that look both a bit elegant and very effective. I’d like more braids and updos for both genders, and a more interesting short hair option for the male blood elves. I would also love curly or at least wavy for both… and no, I’m not talking about the ridiculous aquanet style that female blood elves have.

5 Likes

Only part of what you said that I wanted to reply to is this because Void Elves shouldn’t have gotten anything from us, I have had that stance for a long time and I stand by it, plus in the case of other races like Blood Elves, Nightborne, Undead, etc. they haven’t and don’t get what is actually asked for despite having megathreads and Void Elves have and do so I can’t help but think Void Elves don’t need unique stuff because they already have more than enough already. If people don’t like copy/paste they shouldn’t ask for things that already belong to another race.

4 Likes

I mean, you know my view on dull copy paste as opposed to unique assets ad naseum.

But it is what it is, and my hopes moving forward is cool, lore appropriate, interesting and fun customizations for everyone.

And everyone includes my blood elves. Who are adorable but could really use scars and tattoos. Especially magical ones, damnit.

If you gave me power over blood elf customizations specifically, I’d love an option for runic tattoos that flashed (red, gold, silver, bright green) when doing a crit or a cooldown. Because I would love that tie in with tattoos and magic to drive home how rune magic and enchanting works in WoW.

2 Likes

Actually the blood elf hair textures didn’t map to the void elf hair models, so I’m pretty sure they had to do that from scratch. It’s not a simple palette swap of the void colours either. If you compare them, the textures look quite different.
https://i.imgur.com/Z8QohXk.png

10 Likes

Everyone knows that the textures are different, most people just want to discount that Void Elves didn’t get anything new or any efforts put in by Blizzard and that it was just a simple copy/paste from Blood Elves, that was part of the reason why people like me that wanted Kul Tiran hair colors shared with Void Elves instead of Blood Elves hair colors because theirs are far closer together.

Edit - plus I wanted the red color from Kul Tiran on my Void Elf instead of the Blood Elf red because I don’t care for the shade we have.

7 Likes

Why did they use the same colors then? Argh, Blizzard is so mystifying.

Best I’ve got is that they already had the pallet and the high light/low light done. So it would be a matter of mapping those blood elf colors onto the hairdo.

…of course, while I prefer unique assets, I wouldn’t mind a few hairstyles ported over from void elves, since the heavy lifting is already done. As long as it doesn’t come at the cost of actual new unique assets for blood elves.

I’m both surprised and not that they’d reinvent the wheel for what are largely the same hairdos + tentacles

4 Likes

The goal was to make them like the high elf NPCs, and they have blood elf hair colours. Kul Tiran colours would’ve been less effort and good enough for me, but not for some people I guess. :woman_shrugging:

They’re basically the same hairstyles, but slightly different, and much higher res. My blood elves are jealous of my void elves’ nice high res hair, and it’s actually pretty annoying.

I guess it’s a good thing I happen to be wearing a hood on my blood elf hunter atm, since that low res hair bugs me to no end now.

7 Likes