Beta Key giveaways making people answer trivia feels like gatekeeping imo

was this posted on the site somewhere, and was it a specific streamer? i honestly have no idea who you’re talking about. I am coming from a “is it okay for streamers to do this in general?” POV.

I never have. From my perspective people choose to crawl on their hands and knees to these key givers to do as they say for them to do just to get it. Making the meek dog do a trick for a treat.

Others see fun and games sure, but I see someone taking advantage of something they know everyone damn well wants.

huh, weird that you’re frequenting a gaming forum then.

Is this a trivia forum? You think I’d join something like that after saying what I said? You know very well that’s not the kind of game I’m talking about.

1 Like

here’s an idea: they gave the keys out because they know the ways those people are likely to give them away. Therefore, they sanction what they’re doing with the keys. If Blizzard wanted to you access to beta, they would have.

Uh. No. Just no.

raid leaders / raid loot
dungeon masters / character levels
party hosts / social interaction

your ‘view’ can be made to fit just about any time of game, and belittle those that participate. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean those that dont mind (or enjoy it) are beneath you, or that there’s anything wrong iwth it.

lol no.

Honestly, it is interesting that Blizz doesn’t include the keys, Alpha/Beta, when they start pre-sells for an expansion.

Maybe they figured people would get even more angry at them.

1 Like

I guess you like being held hostage by someone who makes you watch for hours. lol

I’m not disgusted by the “dogs”, and I don’t think they’re beneath me. At most it’s pathetic to witness and see but that’s not said to stop anyone. If you enjoy it then by all means, can’t turn off how I feel about something but I don’t want you to have me hold you back if you’re having genuine fun. Seriously.

I’m disgusted by the individual, whoever they may be, that does these gimmicks with the free key they have. Naturally my pessimistic view in pessimism will bring out the most pessimistic pessimist that I am and my first assumption will not be that it’s for a sincere, harmless or even bonding experience with other Humans.

Rather I see them enjoying their temporary amount of control over people willing to do as they say. My heart goes out in respect to all the streamers and folk that don’t want their beta key or have extra and frigging do the same thing Blizzard does. Just random chance.

They didn’t even make the key, Blizzard did and they received it the same way everyone else did. You can’t see what motivator there truly is behind these people that say you have to bark first.

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not, but I wish to believe this a farce and so shall and offer thanks for the laugh.

Little doggy’s gotta do the trick for the treat [Beta Key] first.

1 Like

Most people probably don’t understand that a beta is a work in progress and it’s not the same as live.

2 Likes

Oh, no, I’m fine with people handing them out that way.
What surprises me is anybody taking umbrage with it and referring to it in the negative as gatekeeping.

2 Likes

No, I don’t agree at all. Contests and competitions happen all the time. They have rewards. If you want to qualify for a reward, then you need some sort of skill that fits the contest. Could be a sprint, pie eating, or trivia. Either way the rewards are given out based on the stated contest parameters and your ability to show skill in that category.

We have enough participation awards. If you want a random chance at a participation award, we have the opt in lottery.

Contests are not a bad thing. Sorry you don’t know enough lore to have a chance. Try another method such as opt in and may the RNG gods shine on you.

Now, if they are charging money then I have a big issue.

1 Like

can you fault them for maybe wanting to make sure it’ll go to someone that will appreciate it, though? When I get loot i dont need in raid finder, i generally will put it up for a roll. Once someone wins, i check to make sure they’re not wearing something better, because i’d ratehr the piece of loot go to someone that will get it as an upgrade, not just someone who is going to take it for mog and vendor it.

Maybe trivia isn’t the best way to go about it, but it confuses me that you immdeiately go for the most cynical view. Maybe you enjoy being a pessimist, idk, but you seem very hostile about something that people have been doing for ages across many different streams and games.

Again, i don’t know the specific example that sparked this whole thread. maybe some streamer was being an a**. Wouldn’t surprise me at all. but the practice, in general, seems perfectly fine to me.

thought experiment

lets say you have 5 beta keys and you’re a streamer, how do you give away your keys?

So true.

Though Beta is the final test to root out bugs and wonky quest text, some how it morphed into “I get to play the expansion before anyone else!”

i make 5 separate beta accounts and multibox 5-man dungeons! ;p