Beta Key giveaways making people answer trivia feels like gatekeeping imo

Seems kinda elitist/gatekeeping to have people have to answer trivia about a game to get a key…anyone agree?

4 Likes

I’m not sure how answering trivia that can be Googled in a matter of seconds is elitism.

30 Likes

No.

23 Likes

But Nobble was a lot harder. You had to include a pic with his question.

1 Like

Google exists, which they know full well people will take advantage of in an unrestricted setting.

1 Like

No.

If a content creator or Blizzard want to hand out keys via trivia questions, that is actually the least elitist thing I can think of, given how easy it is to find the answers.

If that’s your bar to determine what is elitist or not, then jeez, this entire game must be for the elitists.

7 Likes

If there’s a limit, I think it’s another barrier to show people that are really going to play and care. Even a small one.

It’s not an obnoxious barrier.

1 Like

It’s elitist when you cant do it via google and they actually do have a very short time limit.

Says the one person.

1 Like

It is when they have a time limit, claim to be able to “know” if you googled it and will kick you. That’s definitely elitism in the vien of how the comic book shop guy acts in the Simpsons like “oh a casual who doesnt know all this stuff about a comic.”

2 Likes

Sorry you got your feelings hurt dude.

3 Likes

Sorry you want to get revenge on everyone who isnt a huge lore nerd.

1 Like

The questions were like “what is the human name of Onyxia?” or “name of the dragon ritual to pick a mortal disguise?” Things you could either google or should be a relatively common knowledge.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s a particularly high bar to want beta testers to be experienced enough to have some idea about the game they’re playing. Usefulness of feedback is more likely to be low when it’s coming from a player with limited greater context.

3 Likes

…I mean, it is their key and they can do whatever they want with it.

If they want to make a Fear Factor este gameshow just to give away a beta key, hey, godspeed. :man_shrugging:

No, i don’t think it’s elitist.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

No, doesn’t seem elitist to me.

no, it’s nice good fun.

5 Likes

Considering the most common gripe (unsubstantiated or not) is along the lines of “I’ve been playing this game for 18 years and have never gotten in the beta!!111”, one way to reward “real players” is a contest of this nature.

Who better to get a first look than someone that’s really into the game, that knows the trivia/lore?

I don’t have a problem with it. It certainly feels better to me than the mere marketing aspect of giving them to influencers. +barf+

A couple of days is too short a time to google. For fun i googled Nobbels question from the other day including picture and it took me roughly 10 minutes.