Best parts of Layering

:grin:

I guess you were unaware, no worries! WoW Classic with layering will also have queues, just like back in the day. I know that sounds hard to believe but look it up if you are surprised!

The devs from recent press interviews talked about it :slightly_smiling_face: If you’re lucky, you’ll get to be in queues at the start, and if a lot more people wanna play Classic than Blizzard thought (the hype is unstoppable!!), we’ll get to see the queue and layering feature hold hands together once more!
Why? Because we’ll try to log in into our very big realm communities possibly double the size of a normal vanilla realm!! Pretty cool huh?
Unfortunately without layering, the queue will be the only feature similar to it left… and will be all on it’s own to handle all the people. Sad. :disappointed_relieved:

Maybe Blizzard will reintroduce layering though to help our queue out, just in case! :pray:

Susan’s army of farmers might have something to say about that. So i don’t know how “easily” you’re going to pull this off. It’s not like sharding in the sense that there could be 10+shard’s spun up. It’s going to be 3-4.
Like the other poster said that still works out for the number of players. In the case of black lotus you’re still a single player fighting against other players, a spawn timer, and spread out locations.
What’s your plan for dealing with those things? Oh and hey blizz may just say abusing layering in this way is bannable. It’s only temporary but if you do you’re banned. Make a few examples. Bam. Players fall in line. Players don’t abuse it. It’s removed come phase 2. Life goes on.

That sounds awful in every way possible, if you don’t want to pvp don’t flag or can’t handle the consequences of rolling on a pvp server - don’t.

How are you going to prove it ? Are you going to follow them from layer to layer to see if they are abusing it ?

Back in vanilla I parked an alt at Wildhammer keep at the vendor checking for a limited time LW pattern. I’d log into him every so often to check if it was available and then log off.

How do you differentiate that (one time logging) from layer hopping ?

1 Like

I don’t. Blizz does. This is one of the reasons they don’t want to open this can. At a point it becomes telling players how to play. Streamers are players too. While yea blizz could ban streaming altogether they never will.
They’ve helped build this advertising/player influencing machine up for their own ends. When blizz spoke about the doughnut years ago they prophesied twitch culture.

Blizzard doesn’t watch every single player’s movements to see if they are cheating.
They have the logs sure but they don’t dive into them until someone reports a player.

At this point shard/layer hopping isn’t even considered an exploit and as such isn’t reportable.

I know server hopping wasn’t. The outrage there was that hoppers were joining questing/raid groups to hop in WOD.

There were plenty of “hanging out in garrison. Hoppers welcome” groups.
Those are the ones I joined.

Blizz is all about algorithms and automation. They can easily write something to track and flag for pretty much whatever parameters they set.

True. And then leave execution up to the player…right click reporting.
Then later Blizz can go back and revisit.

If it can used to the point it warrants and justifies a ban, it’s too impactful to be in the game in the first place.

Not like it has any good reason to belong in the game at any point already, based on Blizzards own goal of achieving the authentic Vanilla experience in Classic.
If longterm sucess is the goal, banning people who abuse layering will give everyone even more reason to leave Classic early on, because it shows Blizzard put in a system that can ruin the game experience for everyone by being abused (but it will do it without being abused already).

Furiously logs in and out repeatedly trying to catch a layer hopper, in turn becoming the very thing they hate.

I love all these layering meme threads these days. That’s what they are a meme.

Layering is a new technology which is currently in beta being worked on. Its not live.

People are acting like its in game live atm.

CRZ was abused for 2 releases …MOP and WOD before they implemented their “fix” in Legion.

3 Likes

My hope is that blizzard knows this and will launch layering with the fix already in place. I mean that is what the beta is for right? testing…

1 Like

The best part about layers is it means we are getting an Ogre expansion. Blizzard is telegraphing the next expansion!

2 Likes

Hopefully us listing here all the ways it can be abused, like cross realm was, might trigger a light bulb moment.

4 Likes

They don’t care if 10’s of people play. This is an important piece of gaming history.

This is what i said about not adding guild banks and allowing guild bank alts to be abused

I doubt it. I’ve been trying to raise alarm about the problems inherent with a shared sub ever since that was announced (they effectively put tokens in classic).

Blizzard does what blizzard does, for whatever reasons Blizzard has. Until some boxer starts selling MC runs and laundering that gold into tokens w/ cross server trades, no one will notice the problem with shared subs. Until bots are insta farming black lotus across 5 layers, no one is going to notice the problem with layering.

Layering fixes the problem Blizzard cares about. Bad press from massive queues or server mergers.

2 Likes

I mean what he is saying is quite a bit different than trying to get a sub option changed.

Its far more likely blizzard will fix the ways that layering can be abused before launch than it is they would do anything about the sub. Like 10000000000000000000 times more likely. They view classic as the same IP, same IP same sub. Pretty simple, regardless of the bad that could come of it.