Besides possibly Genn, who deserves to land the killing blow on Sylvanas?

Yeah, I think it is. I do not see her acting on just emotion in WC3 either.

Again

1 Like

Illidan “I Am My Scars” Stormrage is even more emotional than Tyrande.

5 Likes
  • Has to be talked into Allying with the Human and Orcs to fight the Legion by Malfurion.
  • Kills wardens just doing their jobs to release Illidan, a guy who was known as the betrayer.
  • Gets called out by Maiev for wasting their time helping the Blood Elfs.
  • Kill Humans in the forest because they were cutting down some trees before their Legion team up.

I’m sure others can think of more moments, but those are off the top of my head.

1 Like

People who came into her lands and started deforesting. I don’t think that is an emotional response.

She is the High Priestess. Refusing her command is treason.

Uh, the blood elves became instrumental in Illidan’s defeat later…

The Night Elves are literally charged by Cenarius and the Green Dragonflights to defend nature…

Yeah dude, take your sexism somewhere else.

1 Like

Hell, even Ysera basically calls Malfurion emotional back in Val’sharah:

Though Malfurion’s rage is justified, his hatred of Xavius has burned for centuries and I fear that his blind rage will be used as a weapon against him.

May Elune guide us in our search for him, lest we have yet another friend to mourn today.

And some people still think Xavius posing as Malfurion after and bleating out for Tyrande was actually him.

2 Likes

No, but her thinking they can take legion without their help is. Pride is a hell of a killer.

And letting out someone known as the betray, which has been locked away for 10,000 years on a whim because you can is emotional.

Doesn’t change the fact she was wasting time.

And Malfurion was the head student of Cenarius, but even he stopped for a moment to try and make an alliance against the Legion.

1 Like

Why? They did it before…

He is a Demon Hunter, and demons are invading… How is that an emotional decision?

That question is rhetorical, it’s not. It’s practical.

She was making allies in a foreign land, where she is otherwise alone and cut off from lines of supply. No time was wasted, it was necessary and it worked.

He didn’t give it any more consideration than Tyrande… He too saw them as enemies until Medivh brought them together at Stonetalon.

Now you are just being sad.

She might have a point. While your examples certainly indicate failings on the part of Tyrande, none of them were really emotional outbursts that indicate an inability to plan as much as they just represented a general lack of overall competence stemming from over confidence and a dash of xenophobia.

Speaking of over confidence and a dash of xenophobia, would you have called Garithos too emotional? It’s a pretty close parallel and I also wouldn’t expect Garithos to devise a clever plan to kill Sylvanas, but we’d call him stupid, not emotional.

3 Likes

Garithos might be a bad example, his hatred, or at least how Blizzard tried to justify it was because he blame the Elfs for not helping defend the Alliance. The Dwarf racist felt a bit out of place, but we could chalk that one back up to his human superiority.

Rash may be a better word for it. But, everyone takes away something different when looking at a story.

With an Alliance.

Because she unleashed someone who sacrifice many in the name of power to the defeat the Legion and helped along the case of them exiling anyone that would not stop practicing Arcane is one of them?

So… What stopped her from allying with the Human and Orcs before hand?

Yeah, and he actually listened, huh? How different would that have been if it were only Tyrande?

I’m not the one trying to make this into a battle of the sexes. :rofl:

Rash is probably a better word for her. Also doesn’t come loaded with centuries of cringe inducing baggage.

2 Likes

On the subject of Tyrande and emotion, I think that one issue is that Tyrande was introduced as one half of a dualistic culture, and then only one aspect of her character kept getting reinforced.

The night elves’ original mystique, to me (I didn’t play WCIII, so my knowledge is from reading dialogue from the wikis), was that they embodied normally clashing concepts: both vicious and gentle, both slow and quick, wise and rash.

With dual leaders, Malfurion leaned towards the peaceful, slow, ancient wisdom angle while Tyrande leaned towards the the aggressive, rash, Grom’s “perfect fighter” angle (and sometimes as a gentle priestess in largely outside material). However, their traits weren’t exclusive: Tyrande could be wise and nurturing, Malfurion could be cold. (Though thinking back on it, Malf seemed much more pigeonholed in his traits, which may be why I considered him kinda boring.)

What I think the problem is, is that many fans of the night elves’ dualistic culture wanted characters who were both wise and quick to act, whose apparently rash decisions could be correct as often as they were incorrect - but the story seems to only show Tyrande being rash, and always being wrong when she does so.
(And when Malfurion acts rashly in Val’sharah, he’s shown as a complete nincompoop who fails immediately due to it, which is probably why people mistook Xavius’ later taunting as actually being Malfurion too.)

Thinking back on it, did Tyrande get many in-game actions before A Little Patience? There was the cleansing of Eranikus in Vanilla, which I don’t think was portrayed as a rash decision by her, but I can’t think of anything between that and “must learn basic tactics from Varian while making no actual arguments for her own strategy other than rawr kill now”.

If she’d argued her case as “we just chased them in there, there’s no reason to believe they’d willingly leave that fortified position, so we should flush them out before they have more time to entrench and improve their defenses”, that would at least make her look slightly rational. (Though it would draw more attention to how insane the orcs were portrayed, to run out of cover into a clearly visible meatgrinder that they had watched the Alliance build right in front of them.) But, instead, her argument was “gogogogo orcs bad must kill y we wait stupid humie with his plans and tactics” which is, uh, not flattering to say the least.

Tyrande gets written with all of the rashness but none of the wisdom, when her fans want to see her have both.

6 Likes

I’d personally say if she were to die – what would be satisfying if it would be a played out plot: Genn & Tyrande give the opportune opening for the kill - and both of the Windrunner sisters are the ones to claim it, with the aid of the Forsaken & the Sin’Dorei forces assisting them.

• Genn & Tyrande get their hand in it. “You will no longer hurt others, as you have hurt us.”
  • The Windrunner sisters grant their sister to rest. Given they’re family I feel it’s an obvious choice to make them involved.
  • Personally I thought the Forsaken is a little salt on the wound, and plays good for the storyline.
  • And the Sin’Dorei is for the dash of symbolism, taking out the one who sacrificed everything along with their life & after, for sake and fate of their kingdom.

I feel this way, there’s contribution to both factions (Obviously the ‘Heroes’ AKA the players would have a part too) towards the fall, and it appeals the mild loose ends of symbolic meaning that would linger in the air from “Very specific X person took the kill, alone.”

Go full Orient Express and have everyone in the universe take a stab at Sylvanas. Only to get off scott free because she was an evil person.

All I can say is I wish Night Elf fans best of luck since Genn is sidelined to window dressing status for even daring to be in opposition of Blizzard’s cash cow mascot character.

But who knows, Tyrande has visuals that pleases the average consumer so I’m sure Blizzard could plaster her fighting Sylvanas everywhere and that would make them good cash.

But they don’t see Worgen as marketable so therefore no more conflict with them and Undead, much less Genn vs. Sylvanas. Worgen story is pretty much done now.

An Alliance made up of Dryads, Wild Gods and Dragons… Which is an Alliance they still had…

First of all, punctuate.

Second of all, Demon invasion… Demon Hunter. That’s not an emotional decision, that is a practical decision.

Oh you know… Deforesting Ashenvale and killing a Wild God. Nothing major…

Probably not very… Since Malfurion is Tyrande’s Bich

Oh no… Just the common thing. Male gamer sees a powerful, willful woman, and writes her off as emotional.

I have seen it before, sweetheart. I know your man-feelings are sensitive, but try not to just make declarative statements from a place of insecurity.

1 Like

I used this one in another thread, but I feel it fits too well:

2 Likes

You are the one with no argument bruh. You just say Tyrande is emotional because you want her to be.

Yeah, except he explained that by “emotional” he meant “rash.” Since “emotional” was the only word he used that was loaded with any sort of historical baggage around gender bias, and rash actually lines up perfectly with his argument, what you’re claiming is so clear simply isn’t there.

At this point, it does seem like you’re the one trying to force your narrative where it doesn’t fit.

3 Likes

I don’t think she is rash either.

Yes, and I also said that rash might be a better word. Though I’m not the one trying to push a personal angle either, but it’s always a good chuckle when it pushed my dudette.

Pretty much. Emotional was the first thing that came to mind, but given some thought rash is a better fit.