Been gone a long time, rotation questions

I’ve been gone 6 years, so I made a new Warrior to re learn on. I understand the basics of Furys rotation and the order of abilities. Execute, Rampage, BT, RB, WW.

Is WW cleave worth the global on two mobs, or is it best at three or four plus? I feel I might have my DPS suffering because of poor cleave usage. I’ll WW cleave, but try to time Ramape when I’m close to rage cap and Execute is almost up so I can get a Rampage and Execute from one WW. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

I run Siegebreaker and try to use that after Recklessness. BT before RB, Rampage before wasting Rage. Where does DR fit in an opener, does it matter if it’s used after a charge, before BT, or is BT more important because of the Azerite trait Cold Steel or whatever it is, the bleed?

A lot of my questions revolve around certain times to activate things. If I have Execute and Ramapge both up at the same time, I’m assuming I hit Rampage first if I’m close to Rage cap, otherwise I’m wasting Rage gain from Execute. Which seems like an easier decision, but what about BT and RB, if BT has 2 seconds and RB just came up, do I hold the 2 seconds auto attacking and wait for BT so not to waste a global? Or just hit RB?

I’ve also ran a Kingsrest with a very similarly geared Fury, his weapons were a bit worse than mine, some body pieces very slightly better, but his Rampage damage was close to double mine, we both had about the same amount of Recklessness uptime usage, his crit rating was actually lower than mine, but he was ctiting with Rampage 51% of the time vs my 32%, I’m assuming that’s what attributes to the big discrepancy between our damage, but he said we focus Haste over Crit. I guess it’s possible he also had some higher essences, I can’t remember exactly what they were right now.

So any advice or things I can do to improve will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Close, but Rampage >>>> Execute.

Absolutely. If there is a second mob up, you are full cleave mode.

Whatever this is, don’t. Just continue your single target rotation normally, except every third ability is whirlwind.

If you check out the wowhead guide, it actually lets you select what you’re running and adjusts the rotation for you.
https://www.wowhead.com/fury-warrior-rotation-guide
With SB & DR your priority order is:
Rampage > Recklessness > Siegebreaker > Execute > Bloodthirst > Dragon Roar (When Enraged) > Raging Blow > Whirlwind

Your ST opener (without considering essences) is Recklessness, Charge, SB, Rampage, BT. From there you just enter into the priority system. A multi-target or M+ opener is going to be a bit different, let me know if you need me to go over that. For ST there is no consideration for DR other than use it when it comes up in the priority order, and only use it if you’re enraged.

Yes, Rampage is prioritized over Execute.

Well the GCD at 0% haste is only 1.5 seconds, and it’s usually well under 1 second for Fury due to our base haste and Enrage. But that’s honestly irrelevant to the actual issue at hand. Always be casting. If every single ability is on cooldown, you’re at 74 rage, and BT comes up in .2 seconds, you follow your priority system to its logical conclusion and hit whirlwind. Never wait for abilities. It will be there waiting for you in .8 seconds or whatever when your GCD ends.

Errr, no. Crit is basically our best stat in all circumstances. It’s a bit weird for you because you only have one CSHB right now, and it’s kind of a given that everyone has 3 now (it’s guaranteed to be on all raid gear for example). Haste is a good stat don’t get me wrong, but then, they all are. For ST, you just sim yourself and do what it tells you. For M+, stack crit and maintain at least 20% haste.

If he’s Fury and did any good in M+, he was running Blood of the Enemy as his major essence. You get this from grinding honor from battlegrounds. It is Fury’s premier essence in virtually all content. It alters your M+ rotation a fair bit, but I don’t want to fill the post up with that until you have the essence. Bottom line, nothing will improve your dps more right now than grinding out Blood of the Enemy rank 3. After that, better Azerite / more CSHB traits will help a lot. Beyond that, you simply need a big overall ilvl boost and lots of practice. Best of luck, I hope you’ll continue to check back in so we can update the advice as your situation changes.

3 Likes

Thanks for that information, much appreciated. Is there a reason you aren’t running SB? Does it not scale as well into higher Ilvls?

So you wouldn’t ever waste a global on DR, unless enraged? I might see if I can make a weak aura to show when enraged, I feel like I maybe don’t take advantage of it enough.

Does the CDHB dot get cleaved from a WW BT?

I run it where it’s appropriate. For M+, the preferred play is RA with BotE. The rotation with the two looks like this:
Charge -> WW (about halfway through charge to get your WW stacks) -> Reck -> Ramp -> BT -> WW -> BOTE -> Ramp -> BT/SD proc -> WW -> Ramp -> DR

I still run SB on most raid bosses as well as very high KR, SOB, and WS keys.

Correct. You enrage quite frequently, it’s worth letting it sit off cooldown for a second to get an enrage.

Definitely something you should track. If you’re looking for a pre-made set of WAs, I recommend Luxthos. I use a heavily personalized set of them.

Absolutely - that is why CSHB is so mandatory for M+/AOE.

So I ran through H NWC, got a fairly decent load out. I got 2 Axes, so I removed corruption from one and Devastation Hour. I was sitting at 158 some corruption, so I removed the corruption off of the gloves and belt. Still currently sitting at 73.

I’m not wanting to remove the ring corruption, looking back, maybe I should have left the gloves and removed the ring.

So basically now I just need to spam my cloak up so I am able to handle the corruption levels. Even reading Icy Veins, I’m still a little confused on our stat priority as Fury.

On a dummy I could hold 60k, before removing those 2 corruptions. I haven’t tested now, simming it is saying I want crit/haste.

www raidbots com/simbot/report/wxv7S7ZMCMmYy5z5ZdiUCb

Grats on the sword man, that’s huge.

I don’t know what the gloves were so I can’t really comment. That said, corruption is changing a bit now that we’re able to buy corruptions. You want to save up as many Echoes as you can right now so that whenever ‘Severe’ hits the vendor, you can buy as much Crit % as you can handle. Unless the Gushing Wound nerf is much gentler than they’ve suggested, I’m personally just going to run TD3 and max Crit for basically everything.

Stat priorities are confusing these days. They’re extremely dependent on you and your individual gear set up. For ST the easiest answer is always to just sim your top gear when picking upgrades. Regardless of what you’re doing, Crit is pretty much always our top stat. You need around 18-20% haste at a minimum to fit the right amount of GCD’s into the opener. You’ve got that, so don’t get distracted by stat priorities. Just focus on getting more crit and higher item level - all the secondaries are good.

Your Azerite is looking pretty good, but remember that Unbridled Fury does not stack. Drop one and take Heart of Darkness.

Your gearing priorities now should be Gloves, Ring, Pants, Off-hand, Boots. I’d recommend the following dungeons, at either the +11 (460) or +14 (465) level.
Siege of Boralus (Crit heavy rings and weapons)
King’s Rest (Off-hand, Geti’ikku)
Waycrest Manor (Gloves, Pants, Crit Ring)
Mechagon (Ring, Off-hand, Boots)

When sharing a link, just put a ` before and after it. Looks like this.

www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/wxv7S7ZMCMmYy5z5ZdiUCb

Alright then, it looks like you’ve got some logs now thanks to that H NWC you ran, so let’s take a look at your rotation. I’m going off the Shad’har fight since it’s the most Patchwerk-like of the encounters.

First you wasted 5 seconds of dps after the pull before doing anything. Don’t do that, the countdown is there for a reason. Then right off the bat, you missed the opener. Review what I posted above

You charged before Recklessness. Recklessness doubles the rage gain of charge. Siegebreaker should then be your next ability, but you don’t even use it until the Recklessness window is over. We want to maximize the overlap of CDs. Don’t use Crucible during Recklessness, it doesn’t benefit from it. I’d really love to see you using BotE, but if you’re going to use Crucible, make sure it’s not when CDs are going.

You don’t whirlwind a single time during the fight. Now whirlwind is the last ability in our ST rotation, but it is there. It’s the filler. When everything else is on cooldown, whirlwind. No empty gcds. Speaking of empty gcds, you have a lot of them even when other abilities aren’t on cooldown. That’s going to kill you as fury. You’ve got to fill every GCD. Whatever it takes, you can’t have downtime like that.

Your Siegebreaker usage is all over the place. It is your highest priority ability after Rampage and Recklessness, and honestly you can even use it over Rampage if you’re already enraged and won’t overcap rage. Bottom line, you should be hitting Siegebreaker every 30 seconds on the nose. You held your 2nd Recklessness to line it back up with Siegebreaker at 120 seconds, which is good, but ideally you want to be casting your SB’s on time so you can Reck/SB right at 90 seconds. If this fight had gone any longer, you’d have missed a Recklessness cast.

I quit shortly after cata came out and just came back a few weeks ago and felt completely lost. The specs and rotations on IcyVeins helped me a lot.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Kjvpc6PbnfJMZkR9/#fight=21&type=damage-done&source=84

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Kjvpc6PbnfJMZkR9/#fight=27

Are you able to look into these and see what is kind of happening with my fights? I ran these earlier tonight, I feel like I am at times, starved with nothing to press and just auto attacking. I have been gone a long time, and it feels like I am making some good progress. I am not sure if these can be analyzed over warcraftlogs or not.

Looking at analyzer, I can see my BT usage is pretty poor, but I felt like I was hitting it quite often, maybe I was prioritizing RB over BT, but missing that many BT seems like it can lead to a big problem.

Thanks

Dark Inquisitor first:

This will never happen with fury, because whirlwind has no CD. I think I mentioned it in the last analysis. Whirlwind is our last priority, but it is in the priority. It’s a little bit of extra damage and rage every extra gcd that you have, as opposed to just sitting there autoing. You’ve got to start filling with WW.

Looking at your opener again, you waited a half second too late for Recklessness. You need to use it immediately before pressing charge. After you rampaged, you did double raging blow. You were enraged and should have used Dragon’s Roar.

30 second marker comes up…where’s Siegebreaker at? You forget about it until the 46 second mark, costing yourself over half a cast of SB over the course of the fight right there and desyncing your cooldowns. Sure enough come the 90 second mark, you recklessness and SB is not ready.

You’re prioritizing Execute far too low. If you can’t rampage and SB isn’t up, Execute is your next priority. You’re throwing out a ton of BTs and RBs while it’s off cooldown.

Honestly I think your biggest thing is the empty gcds and not filling them with WW. On this fight, as it’s purely ST, you could also have run Furious Slash over Sudden Death. FS is a much more fulfilling filler than WW and a solid DPS increase on ST. You only cast WW 7 times and honestly probably should have cast it more like 40.

ON TO HIVEMIND!

This is a more chaotic fight and harder to analyze, but there’s plenty I can still do. First look at this picture.
https://ibb.co/H4x13Nm
You wait a solid four seconds to start dps compared to everyone else. Don’t do that.

Okay, let’s talk multi-target opener here.
Charge>>>WW>>>Recklessness>>>SB>>BT or Rampage>>WW>>BT or Rampage>>DR

Recklessness comes AFTER you have already charged in and whirlwinded. You can whirlwind mid-way through your charge (Remember, not on the gcd) and still hit and get your cleave buff.

From there you are straight single targeting Ka’zir. This is very bad for two reasons. First, that’s free damage and we want big numbers. Second, and more importantly, these bosses need to die at virtually the same time. Cleaving them is essential to making sure they do that smoothly. Every third attack needs to be WW, that buff needs to ALWAYS be up while they’re next to each other.

Like on Inquisitor, SB comes off CD for you at 36 seconds and…nothing. You wait until 53 seconds to use it. Reck comes off CD at 94 seconds and…goes ignored until 148. That’s half a cast. You even used multiple SB’s in that window that you could’ve stacked it with.

As on Inquisitor, not nearly enough executing when the bosses are in execute range.

You’re doing good though man and making progress. A huge part of it is discomfort with the fights making it harder to focus on your rotation. You just need repetition! Keep at it and you’ll keep seeing results.

Thanks for that. I was charging before Reck. Like you said, repetition and comfort with the boss mechanics.

I feel like the bigger thing I have to watch is my rage bar, which I have with a weak aura, I feel like I am using an ability right as Rampage comes available or Execute, I’ll have enough rage and hit BT, because I don’t watch my rage to know that Rampage will be useable in a sec. I couldn’t find a way to see if my rage usage is good and I’m not overcapping, maybe slightly, but I don’t think that is too much of an issue.

Tweak your rage bar to glow when you get over 75 rage, and add an easily identifiable but non-disruptive sound when you break 90 rage.

There’s nothing wrong with hitting BT when you have enough rage to Rampage - as long as you’re already enraged and you won’t overcap.

I believe warcraftlogs has a way to track overcapped rage but I don’t know how to do it. I’ll ask on Skyhold.

Edit 1: Yep, it is, someone explained it already. Player>Resoures>Rage, then look at wasted. I’m going to check you out now.

Edit 2: On Inquisitor you wasted 241 points of rage or three full Rampages. Most of this overcapping came from Execute (84 points) and Raging Blow (78). Execute is easy to overcap with, but you can avoid it. Just never hit Execute if you can Rampage. Raging blow is virtually impossible to overcap with if you’re playing properly. I think it kinda goes to your continued tendency to just prioritize RB too highly.