Because of layering , count me out

Because…

You log in to play. You go to layer A
Your friend logs in to play. They go to layer B

You whisper to group and play together. You invite. They move from Layer B to layer A so you can play together.

That is but one reason they won’t lock layers.

Why not just keep you and your friends in the same layer until they merge them?

I don’t know. Blizzard designed it and said that’s how it’s going to work.

I think you are overstating the effect layering has/will have.

What a dumb post

Yeah, layering is great and can’t be exploited in many ways.

2 Likes

stupid is as stupid does.

The evidence is piling up that layering won’t be the elegant solution we were sold. It’s looking like it’ll cause more problems than it’ll solve.

How much in server load savings will be cancelled out by thousands of players constantly relogging, trying to exploit, or simply trying to get where the PvP is happening.

Junk this whole broken system and launch it like real Classic. Address the issues with the old ways.

Zone too crowded? Dynamic respawns.
Realm too crowded? Queues, and open more realms.
Realm dies? Merge it. Character renames be damned. The overall game experience matters more.

Classic was an MMO. Sharding and layers, separating and confusing players in what should be a singleton realm, work directly against that.

Oh calm down.

1 Like

Yes add Dynamic respawns, that means when there are 500 people in the initial starting zone there will be mobs popping into existence every second then out of it as they are destroyed by a billion hunter arrows.

I think playing wack-a-mole with right click button will be exciting!

Or don’t add them and players can just wait for spawns. Or go explore another area and find something else to grind.

All preferable to “Razor hill is under attack!” “I don’t see any Alliance…” “Invite me to layer!” relog over and over

1 Like

The problem is you cant “wait” for spawns. You will see dozens of spawns, its a matter of tagging them. And if you are playing melee or a caster you better hope they spawn right next to you.

You shouldn’t be “waiting” tens of minutes to finish a kill ten boars quest. And grind mobs elsewhere? Where else? There will be hundreds of players in these areas. Vanilla quest are long, but starting quest weren’t meant to take hours to do.

Lets really welcome everyone to classic with a huge bottleneck delay that will annoys everyone! Whilst I don’t really like layering’s blanket approach, if you can’t come up with a solution to this problem, and it is a problem, then you need something like it.

Dynamic respawns don’t work once things get really populated, and are super easy to “exploit” to increase farming. Imagine guilds bringing in as many people as possible (even lowbies) just to farm some rare recipes, reducing the rarity of said item. This would have a huge effect on farming strategies.

As to creating other servers, unfortunately people often gravitate towards servers that have certain people, guilds etc. Plus with the rush to beat the herd, a lot of people will be creating characters on servers that seem “fine” only to find one hour later by random chance (or a cool server name) that they have chosen what will become a maximum pop server, they might have their entire beginning experience ruined by chance.

Plus “High” population can mean many different numbers. And people are used to High meaning a very full server spread across the entire world (or expansion). I don’t think many really comprehend whats its like when that entire pop is within ~10 zones.

Layering at least attempts to address this sort of stuff.

1 Like

It’s beta. The point of beta is testing to find bugs and exploits like this.

You’ll play, stop crying.

1 Like

So moving between layers is now exploiting according to you ?

That is the design. It’s so players from different layers can group up and play together.

it’s the literal definition of exploit.

Exploit - Make full use of and benefit (from a system)

There’s no way to detect grouping up to play vs grouping up to exploit.

There’s no way to tell a player logging off to switch characters and logging back in vs player cycling through alts to check a vendor for limited items.

Those are just 2 examples.

WOD had server hopping and that was abused the entire expansion and not fixed until Legion.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say.

There’s no way to detect grouping up to play vs grouping up to exploit.

This is correct and how you can exploit the system to your advantage.

There’s no way to tell a player logging off to switch characters and logging back in vs player cycling through alts to check a vendor for limited items.

This requires Blizzard to implement a more strict system or come up with better triggers for layering but again it’s just another way that someone can exploit the system to their advantage.

I think the confusion comes from using the word “exploit” since it has connotations with hacking when it literally just means “taking advantage of a system”, usually in an unintended way.

And you know what ? When server hopping was discovered in WOD it only took a short time before addons came out to help you hop. I used them to farm rare hunter pets.

If layer hopping goes live there will be addons to help you layer hop making abuse of this available to even more players.

I get your arguments, but I think they go to show players like yourself and I won’t see eye to eye on the issues.

I’m realizing it all comes down to community vs convenience.

While I appreciate all the work the Classic dev team has done effectively emulating Classic in BFA, to players who want Classic community, it feels like their direction is still misguided.

Direction such as it must be easy as possible for Timmy to get his boar asses uninterrupted. Individual player convenience uber alles. It feels like Classic’s not being thought of as what it and its predecessors were - MMOs.

Games where your gameplay could be, and was, impacted by (gasp) other players in a persistent, cohesive world, be it via login queues, waits for spawns, looking for groups, PvP, whatever, and this feature was considered core to the genre.

For me, at least, and I’d bet most people who played original Classic, preserving community will be far more important to Classic authenticity than maintaining convenience, especially with something like layering that can be so immersion breaking.

I really hope it in fact is only for dealing with the launch rush (which will be brief and temporary, and I’d still argue could be mitigated other ways), and then will be gone forever.

1 Like

It wasn’t needed when WoW had peak sub numbers all packed into one area and it’s not going to be needed now. Normal servers would fix themselves within a few days and be better for it longterm. This is going to cause tons of problems down the line all because Blizzard wants a slightly smoother launch. That’s simply not what Classic is and they are butchering it, this is just as bad as adding something like raid finder to Classic.

2 Likes