Battle.net App Update Loop

As I said in another thread, this did not solve my problem. In fact, I had a very difficult time reinstalling the launcher because the download from the web site failed every time. I finally got it to download and install by trying to start WoW from the Windows start menu. But absolutely nothing has changed. The launcher is stuck in an infinite loop of updating and I cannot log on.

1 Like

Its not on our end its this last patch that broke it…

2 Likes

Hope you get it fixed soon Brahmina hate to see you miss out tomorrow with anniversary opening up.

I have fixed it on my system, at least I think.

First try: Games and launcher were always on D:. I uninstalled Battle.net, cleaned up the folders and rebooted. Redownloaded it and installed on D: again. Didn’t work, still looping.

Second try: Uninstalled it again, cleaned up and rebooted. This time, I installed the launcher on C:, but the games remain on D:. I launched TBC Classic and exited. It did it one more time, for TBC only, which I think is normal on a clean install. I launched again and it doesn’t do it any more.

Apparently, it has something to do with the launcher being on C: versus other drives.

There is still something up because it was fine for a long time before this happened.

I am running Windows 10, the latest version.

Things are looking better. I put in a ticket and they responded quickly. I had to make a whole new user account and run it as admin. The launcher still wants to update, but once it has run through all the games they are playable (rather than updating infinitely).

I don’t consider this a permanent fix, however, because this is what it was doing before it got stuck in the loop. I mentioned this in my response to the ticket, and I attached my most current system files as asked. I don’t expect any real answer to the ticket as my problem is now “solved”, but perhaps sending more files will help them find a permanent fix.

Shouldn’t have to do all that…that really strange for sure Brahmina…I hope it works out for you.

1 Like

Having exactly the same problem, I completed uninstalled all my WoW installations and battlenet launcher as well.

Doesn’t affect my other games like overwatch as far as I know.

I’m still having this issue to this day, thank god I can start up the app and run the EXE or I’d have missed the raids ALL WEEK.

Anyway, I’ve done the following: I am on Windows 10 Pro, restarted my PC, logged in as admin (which is what it asked I do), received the classic BLZBNTAGT00000841, repaired the client where it found no errors, reinstalled the bnet app altogether, quadruple checked to make sure my antivirus was disabled, I checked permissions which is the ONLY thing a Blizzard person suggested I do, and it is full control on everything, so my permissions are working. I’m at a loss, I’m not going to load the bnet app until Blizzard has a RESPONSE here and it is SOLVED.

Glad to se its not just me , hope this gets resolved soon

I take it back, it came back again, it’s still doing it. :frowning:

I also had this issue the other night. Here is what I went through & what I eventually did to correct it:

• Got stuck in an endless update loop.
  • Started a Scan / Repair – errored out & unable to finish
  • Uninstalled launcher & reinstalled it – that didn’t help
  • Rebooted computer — didn’t help either
  • Uninstalled all WoW related games
  • Reinstalled the basic game — everything was fine at this point
  • Reinstalled Classic — everything still fine at this point
  • Reinstalled Burning Crusade Classic — triggered the endless update loop again
  • Uninstalled Burning Crusade Classic & Classic
  • Removed any game files that had been updated since the loop started again
  • Did a Scan / Repair
  • Launcher replaced the files I had deleted – so far, everything is fine

Disclaimer: This is what I did to correct my issue – your results may vary. I will not be reinstalling any other game variants (i.e., Classic, TBCC, or PTRs) until I hear the issue has been resolved.

Yeah having the same issues, though other people’s fixes are NOT working. Since I can’t play, canceling my sub. Hopefully Blizzard will figure out what they broke and fix it sometime.

You guys making whole new user accounts on windows are heroes, I ain’t about to do all that lol

Try this

Doesn’t fix the issue but you can play.

Sadly and frustratingly this just opens the launcher again, and not WoW itself. :frowning:

1 Like

It sounds like you clicked on this one

Click on this one in the _retail_ folder

1 Like

Yes, I know where it is. It just doesn’t do what it’s supposed to, just like the launcher isn’t supposed to be stuck in an infinite update loop.

4 Likes

And nobody should of to go though that much just to play a game …that is nuts…

4 Likes

Oh I know it was a lot to do. Especially since my Wifi wanted to be extra slow that day and it ended up taking half a day to download the game again.

I mostly just wanted to post what I did in case Blizzard needed to see more details about what has been happening.

Man, some of you are having severe problems. I just have to go through quick Updates every time I open the launcher but it lets me play.

It seems like it’s every game people have installed from the launcher? I only have three: Classic, TBC and SoM beta. And it updates those there every time. Although it doesn’t actually update since nothing changes. Just does a quick progress line and says Reclaiming Disk Space and then that’s that.

2 Likes

Just to add to the weirdness of this update thing…

If I start battlenet app as per usual. It goes to update.

Then I run wow exe from file to open that log in screen and return to the battlenet app the play button appears and update is gone???

Just thought I’d show what I had found.

1 Like