Battle.net App Update Loop

For some people it hasnt, but for some it has. I no longer have this issue after having it for about 10 days.

So they are doing something about it, it just hasnt been completely resolved. And just so you know, I think they need to comment in this thread with whatever information they currently have.

Hope it is resolved for you soon.

1 Like

for some the issue was resolved after uninstalling and reinstalling, but that’s really not a fix, it’s a band-aid

It would be nice if a blizzard rep would post somewhere saying that the issue is still being worked on, because based on their most recent post on the matter they seem to think its resolved on their twitter.

1 Like

Agreed.
Not that I have a hate-on for Twitter as I do recognize the speed/reach advantages but they have multiple platforms for the release of information. Just cross post updates please.

Please?

Still having this update loop issue with my launcher whenever I open the launcher or afk from the launcher for a extended amount of time. Still no word on any acknowledgement of this CONTINUING issue but acknowledgement of the ddos issue.

How do you fix this? It’s really annoying.

Updates are still popping up when I launch my launcher. I’ve uninstalled hearthstone, reinstalled it, then uninstalled it again along with the launcher, and still hearthstone loops updates. WoW is doing the same but I’m not going to reinstall WoW until hearthstone stops looping. Waste of my data cap otherwise.

So, wanted to provide an update from the previous post I made here ( Battle.net App Update Loop - #20 by Bheita-wyrmrest-accord ) as I finally obtained some form of response from support (albeit, not all that satisfactory a one).

Ahem.

Hey Bheita

I’m Game Master (REDACTED) and I’ll be handling your help request today with the utmost of care, and I appreciate your patience and understanding so far. I wasn’t able to talk to you online today, however hopefully this response will be good enough in my absence! :slight_smile:

Thanks for getting in touch with us about your install/update issue today, and I’m so sorry to hear that the game is constantly looping updates upon close, as that can be frustrating for a variety of reasons!

As you stated in your update here, having the game on your External SSD is likely a cause of this, as while it’s convenient to have an External, the battle.net App doesn’t actually play nice with external drives due to technical limitations, and we would always recommend installing the App itself on your C (Windows Install drive) and any games on Internal drive as a result.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to contact us today here at Blizzard Entertainment, and I wish you all the best in your adventures, be it Azeroth, Sanctuary, the Nexus or beyond!

In truth I still fail to see why it would act up NOW compared to all the years previous, and also why it would specifically be the case because I’ve spoken to others that do have Battlenet and WoW on their main drives that also suffer this issue. So … I’m at a loss.

A personal fix was moving WoW to the C drive, yes, but it could not remain as, in my personal case, it’s already occupied enough and I use an SSD purely for games (like ARK and WoW).

/shrug

Well I don’t have 70 spare gigs on my c: drive so I guess i’ll just have to have this update loop forever. Great stuff.

Talked with some guildies that don’t use externals and still have the issue as well. Confusing.

1 Like

I’d say that Blizzard has no idea what the cause of the looping is

4 Likes

It certainly feels like they don’t want to communicate with us about the issue, but we’ll just have to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that it’s because half the team was on break this week.

1 Like

To those still having this problem, here’s how I fixed it on my pc, I’m not currently playing bcc or the ptr so when it tried to update them I quickly paused the download on both of them and then closed the launcher. I then reopened the launcher and it once again updated retail Wow, but after that it has not tried to update anymore and I can play normally again. It has been about a week since I did this and it hasn’t tried to update since. Hopefully this helps someone out :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m happy that worked for you! Tried every variation of that with no luck on my end, but it’s cool that you figured your issue out.

Not sure why pausing the update on first log in, logging off and then logging back on and updating works. ALYNATA, thank you for your post !!! :grin:

On my 23rd re-install of wow in the last past 2 weeks.
:laughing: :sob: :frowning_face: :anguished:

Feelsbadman. Hope you have an unlimited data plan.

Dang…I think this bnet issue is killing my online connection too…everything been replaced and check in my home …I can load up New World and play no DC at all …my web browser load up pages fine but if I start up bnet app and wow I start getting DC’s all over the place.

I think it has to do with when Battlenet first launches it checks for new patches and maybe the update loop is due to corrupt data in a patch that we already have on our pc’s that just keeps getting re-applied over and over. So when you stop it from updating games that you don’t play it doesn’t keep re-applying a corrupt patch. Just my theory based on what I’ve read on here over the last few weeks. I just know that I can play now and it’s nice to not update all day long.

am i missing an answer from blizzard on this issue, or has it been over 2 weeks since they acknowledged it, and not fixed it?

1 Like