Battle.net App Update Loop

Someone posted a tweet reply by blizzard cs saying it was resolved but its super not. So I mean until they actually get back to this thread who knows.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue, the updating has been a problem for a couple months, now it won’t stop updating at all, I tried the Scan and Repair, it stops at 10% with the Whoops! Something broke error message. I have tried everything I can think of and some of the recommended fixes; nothing works. I think I will suspend my account, Blizzard seems like it’s not taking this seriously, I can’t log on at all. Not happy about the sexism issues anyway. I made a million gold recently though, one of my goals is done.

1 Like

Welcome back from your week off blizzard. I’m sure you enjoyed your well earned time off. Now it would be nice if you could address this issue.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, So I have a imac MacOS Catalina Desktop that has been looping since Nov 15th 2021. Today I tried to attempt to fix it and it worked!!!. What I did mainly was first uninstall battle.net then after that reinstalled it. Then I paused all my games that had updates (WoW Retail, WoW Classic, WoW BC, Diablo, Hearthstone and all PTR related processes if u had them installed). Then I uninstalled WoW Retail (which I know it sucks but had to) . Once it was installed it Updated and it was fixed! Afterwards I uninstalled Classic WoW then reinstalled it once it was done installing it updated and was fixed. Did this with WoW BC aswell. I did not have to uninstall hearthstone or Diablo since they were not Installed in the first place xD but I assume if you have other games on battle.net that you play on the reg then do as I did for all the WoW games above. I am so relieved that I can play WoW again and I hope all of you are able to play your favorite games on battle.net. Hope this helps sorry it was lengthy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know why I’m leaving the launcher open while wow is down. I’m basically just asking for wow and hearthstone to update themselves 20 times. Maybe I was secretly hoping they’d fix this bug during this maintenance idk.

A highly tech challenged guildmate is suffering from this right now. He starts the battlenet launcher and WoW Retail starts an update that switches to a scan. When it completes it causes his computer to blue screen crash. Now the crashing part might be due to his computer’s age, but the inability to get past the update/scan isn’t. Started happening to him over the weekend. Been trying to help him over voice chat, but doing trouble shooting that way isn’t in my wheelhouse.

This continues to be an issue across all of my blizzard games. Open the launcher, games are prompted with updates that initialize and then instantly complete, and then the next time I open the launcher the same updates are queued. Would like to see blizzard acknowledge that this is still an issue.

Been dealing with this today as well.

Updates into a scan and the scan fails at 98% to a useless error code.

I think I’m done with the forums again. I only came back to post about this issue and the issue seems like it’s being ignored now. I guess I’ll just have to live with my blizzard games installing updates that contain no data from now on every time I open the launcher.

1 Like

Had this issue in mid November. It seemed to be fixed when I deleted and re-installed the battle.net launcher. It is, however, back as of this morning. I tried deleting and re-installing the launcher, but the launcher installation crashes when it tries to install.

I guess I can choose to play the crashes on install game or the looping update game, but not World of Warcraft.

This is actually the way I open my game/bnet client and discord. Since I found out about this a couple of years ago, I rarely have any issues.

As for the download loop everyone is experiencing, after the second time I experienced this last month, I just uninstalled the game and acquired a new fresh copy. I made copies of my WTF and interface folders before I did this and everything worked as smooth as silk after.

So as has been mentioned, most probably a conflict with older data with new data overwrites, as well as the AV suspension suggestions. Sometimes the easiest method is the quickest.

When is this bloody going to be fixed…I just did a brand new install of the game…let it download everything before starting the game …right now I got download manager pause cause its trying to download something called pre release download again…what the heck is a Pre Release now?

I took out all the game except Shadowlands…brand new bnet app too…I think this mess is causing my DC issues I have been having for two weeks now…Comcast says my net is fine but I keep getting DC’s and high Latency now.

Talked my tech challenged guildmate through uninstalling and installing a fresh game and it worked for him so far.

Not saying it will fix everyone but it is worth trying once at least. For the rest of you suffering, I hope you get help. I will update if his problem returns.

Been Having this scanning/update loop issue for almost a month now. Im not sure why this isnt being fixed. We pay to play this game… Would be nice to be able to play. I also thought that the Update on tue/wed would fix this issue. No Luck. Not sure what do anymore, Yall Don’t even Acknowledge it’s happening.

1 Like

I got it to work for about a day an half by deleting the launcher and removing the WTF, Interface and Cache folders in my retail file. Logged out and in a few times with no issue. But, the update loop is back again this afternoon.

I really think this dang loop is causing me to have DC’s issue right now …I have done everything to stay online with this game now…my comcast main trunk line was replaced …all connections replaced…new modem from them and I am still getting DC even though Comcast says there is nothing wrong with my internet now.

I have reinstalled the game and bnet app…and still getting it.

1 Like

try running the game using - Wow.exe - from the retail (or classic if you have it installed) folder. this way is to bypass the Battle.net Launcher. if the realm list is incompatible then it is another problem that maybe out of your control.

That’s how it feels. It’ll be a year before an actual fix is in place at this rate.

The battle.net app is borked, fix it already. This is stupid. What update can it possibly be waiting on? Nothing else is doing anything. Is Blizzard-Activision that compromised now?

1 Like

For an issue that cropped up 21 days ago, you seem to have not made the issue better, only worse. Maybe an update on what you have discovered over the period would convince otherwise.