Base UI buttons blocking tab target cycling

Meowrs :slight_smile:

After finally getting 9.0 set up to a usable state, I went out into the world to test out my characters’ new ability loadouts and found that I was having issues with tab targeting, especially with Target Nearest/Previous Enemy keybinds (they’re assigned to my mousewheel up/down respectively).

At first I thought an addon might be doing this so I moved the AddOns folder out to the desktop so no addons were present to load since I know that even “disabled” addons still load and cause issues. No dice. I still couldn’t properly cycle through mobs while attacking (in combat).

After much testing at the training dummies in Stormwind (so I didn’t get killed during said testing) I’ve discovered that the base ui buttons are causing tab targeting functions to become blocked if the mouse cursor is behind (over) any of them. This includes action bar buttons, the action bar switching buttons, the mini-bar buttons, and all of the bag buttons/icons. Basically any part of the baseline UI that is clickable (i.e. a button of one type or another) is preventing target cycling from working.

I can get into combat and I can tab target and use my mousewheel to cycle through targets freely if my cursor is anywhere except when over a baseline UI button.

I’m unsure what’s causing this, but when I investigated further, I ran into this inside BugGrabber:

98x Couldn't find inherited node: StatusBar

This was checked with only BugGrabber and its required dependencies installed. No addon was listed in the window, just that one line, indicating it’s an issue with the base UI that started occuring with the 9.0 prepatch release.

This is on the Mac client, and occurs whether or not I’m using the new hidden ExclusiveWindowMode CVAR to maintain app focus lock (required for the software I use to control the mouse curves). And as a final test, I temporarily disabled that software and still had the problem (and a mouse too slow to play with!).

This is extremely debilitating for anyone like myself that has to click abilities for one reason or another.

Edit: Another player confirmed the base UI buttons are interfering with mouse interactions. Basically keyboard input is not blocked, but mouse interactions like the scroll wheel are blocked when the cursor is over a UI button.

Crickets: Chirp Chirp

Yeah, the latest patch still hasn’t fixed this. And it’s becoming a major issue since multi-mob pulls with scaling now everywhere means you really need to be at your peak performance to survive. Being unable to use my mousewheel for targeting makes that almost impossible.

2 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/how-a-dev-choice-alienated-my-disability/688637

1 Like

Just to clear up one thing about “action bars” too. I get what you mean, but actually the curser operates like it always had “thru action bar” itself.
because I was testing with a blanked out action bar and had zero issues with mouse wheel keybind “target nearest enemy”. It’s the UI Spell icons that “eat up” the function.

It happens over the minibar buttons too. Go ahead, try it out for yourself. Unit frames are also affected. As for the empty action bar buttons, of course those work for mouse interactions, but being that I’m forced to click my abilities, empty action bar buttons do me no good. And none of mine are empty due to too many abilities after the unpruning (the devs weren’t very smart about which abilities got unpruned).

1 Like

I’m in your boat. I’m full too and a clicker. Just pointing out that bar itself let’s it thru.

Ok, Nsk over in general chat finally.gave me a solution/work around that works for every mouse. I am currently wheel scrolling target next enemy while curser is over UI. It was suggested to try the app “x-mouse control”. I happen to use change wheel up to control X and wheel down to control C (copy/paste keys basically) then ingame setting the keybinds as such. It works and it 1st time since pre-launch that targetting feels normal. Best of luck to you. Thank You Nsk!!!

If that’s the case, then any third party key mapping app will work (like USB Overdrive, which is what I use, or SteerMouse) since that suggestion changes the bind from a hardware bind to a keybind making it act as if the keyboard is being used. Problem with that is if you aren’t using a keyboard that has N key rollover (a lot of us are on older keyboards that still work just fine but don’t have recent tech for that functionality).

Ultimately this needs to be fixed as it affects both platforms. And it won’t work for players that are pressing two or more keys at the same time they’re trying to use the mousewheel outside of specific keyboards.

I found that alot of the other apps or software didn’t have the key change for wheel. They did have things like wheel speed and how many lines and stuff an usually stopped there.

Hey all,

Just an update on this. The mouse wheel not working to cast abilities while hovering over a spell icon is being investigated as a bug. We do not have any ETA for when this will be fixed but when it happens it will be via game update. So no further action is needed.

Thank you for working with us on this and for your patience in these matters. Cheers!

ÂżSource, por favor?

“mouse scroll issues since 9.1” in tech support. I screwed up link dont wan’t to attempt again and screw up twice

When putting links into posts, just encase them in between two ` like this: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mouse-scroll-wheel-issues-since-901/682975. I’ll go look for the post you mentioned.

For those that want a clickable version of that link, here it is.

1 Like

This initial problem has now been resolved with the Nov 17th blizzard update. Dont need the mouse app anymore. Tyvm accessibly@blizzard.com for responding to email. You said 9.0.2 would fix the bug and it did. Ty wow team as well. Happy scrolling everybody

Oh hells yes. This makes targeting so much easier! Major YAY! :slight_smile: