Banned for using "cheating software", but I multibox without the use of any software

Correct, that’s what I said. I meant “no” as in no you cannot keep appealing if they warn you against it.

2 Likes

I believe the others have covered this fairly well so I’ll just add a bit here.

No. That isn’t how it works when it comes to botting/exploitation investigations. Mass reports only result in an investigation being launched, how many people may have reported you has no impact on an outcome.

It happens. Sometimes the investigation only includes some involved characters/accounts and may not include all.

They will likely need to escalate your particular case up for further review, which means they may close your current ticket telling you that. If so, they’ll contact you when they receive word back to let you know the results.

11 Likes

But I have always been multiboxing with the same 10 licenses, and in the game they are always in the same parties and the same raid together. So how on Earth can the investigation have concluded that only 7 licenses were involved in the use of a cheating software? If they had only banned the licenses on my main battle.net account, then I would understand. But that’s not the case. They banned 4 of the 6 accounts I use on my main battle.net account, and then some licenses, but not all, which are on separate battle.net accounts. I can’t wrap my mind around what may have led to this decision.

You are assuming they examined those licenses and found them not to be. It’s more than likely they simply weren’t included in the investigation.

In either case, if an error was made a review should be able to verify that. They’ll let you know.

8 Likes

Okay I understand. Thank you. Is there a callback option available for a case like this? I feel like there is a lot of information involved in my case, and I am having trouble stating everything that I want to say by typing it in the ticket text box. I would feel more comfortable talking to someone by voice, regardless of the final outcome of the case.

No. we do not do appeals over the phone or live chat. Any appeal is based on the data that we have, not anything that you’d be able to provide.

10 Likes

But it involves multiple battle.net accounts, one of which unfortunately does not have a verified email address. I have stated in my ticket the email address of each battle.net account (other than my main one, from which I submitted the appeal) that had licenses suspended, but how are they going to know that these other battle.net account licenses are actually mine?

They should all be registered under your real name and address, even if the email addresses are different.

6 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean. You have your name on the accounts, that is fairly easy to see.

6 Likes

The real-life name is slightly different on my other battle.net accounts. The only things that my accounts have in common are the payment method and shipping address. From that information, will the Blizzard employees who look at my ticket be able to confirm that I’m indeed the owner of all the accounts mentioned in the ticket?

Unless you use a VPN, they have access to your IP address, all your licensing information, account information, payment information, and everything else associated with Battle Net. I don’t work at Blizzard, but I’m something of a computer scientist myself, and one of the basic principles of people-tracking is looking for consistent activity at specific IP addresses. Though, I’m sure a small indie company : D like Blizzard does more than that.

1 Like

You have four emails listed in your ticket. This Battle.net account and three others. One that is similar to this Battle.net address and two others that are similar to each other. All four have the exact same names.

7 Likes

I just checked and you’re right. I know this isn’t an excuse, but I’m feeling very distressed right now. I just had the worst week of my life, and finding out that almost all my accounts have been closed was the last thing I needed. I don’t know why I thought my battle.net accounts had different names. This is embarrassing and I apologize for wasting your time.

It is ok. People often use nicknames. Robert Smith on one account may be Bob Smith on another (nickname for Robert).

Now you know that all are the same and (likely) match your ID which is exactly how it should be. One less thing to worry about.

You also got good info on how to ticket for this and what to expect.

This forum serves an Information Desk to help people navigate the support systems, answer policy questions, etc. It is not a waste of time at all.

12 Likes

Hello,

It has been 4 days now since I’ve appealed. I was told that my case had been escalated, and I’ve not received an update from anyone at Blizzard since then. Do appeal cases usually take this long? I’m losing sleep over this. I just want to know the outcome of the appeal, so that I can move on with my life. :frowning:

They can, depending on what their queue looks like, Abyssusseum. From what I can see it is still waiting in that queue. I’m unable to give you an ETA but hopefully you should hear something in the next few days.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on another matter, as well. I know this is purely anecdotal, but I have spoken to several members of the WoW Classic multiboxing community, who told me that they had all faced a similar situation at some point in the past (they were permanently banned by mistake, and had to appeal the case to get unbanned). They also told me that they had had to appeal their ban several times “before someone actually looked at their case.” They predicted that my first appeal would probably result in the action against my first accounts being upheld, and they advised me to continue appealing.

Would you say those statements are mistaken? I’m not a big fan of conspiracy theories (and all of these statements sound like one), and I’m skeptical that appealing again would result in a different outcome for my accounts. That’s why I was hoping to get the input of another party on this matter.

Yes and no. There are situations in which an initial look doesn’t find a valid error, but to say that it is almost guaranteed not to, I don’t think is accurate. Much depends on the original violation and the review process for it.

Not to mention there are situations in which a false positive isn’t immediately recognized and only through multiple examples and data collection from multiple accounts is it found and later able to be overturned.

2 Likes

So, in the hypothetical scenario where the action against my accounts is upheld, would it be okay to appeal the actions again? Even if I am told that any further appeal will be ignored? Or is that playing with fire?

No, if the account action is up held, then they’re finish looking into it. Any more will be seen as GM harassment. It isn’t an ‘Keep doing it until you get what you want’ here.