Baine "represents all that is best about the Horde"?

Sylvanas would sell out the blood elves the moment she needed to. Hell, the moment she needed new quivers, who did she force to go to Northrend? The blood elves.

As for Rommath, dont forget he was the guy who your crazy prince sent. At best he is an idiot who easily blinded. At worse he might betray you, heck if Blizzard didn’t change their decision he would have already been fodder for Cata.

Thrall was the one who ordered them to go to Northrend. And that’s the sort of thing they agreed to when they joined the Horde.

You gotta admit…the line “Baine represents all that is best about the Horde” is extremely out of character for Lor’themar. Lor’themar has never been “ra ra Horde” or the type of character to stick his neck out. Also when you consider that Lor’themar’s original line on the PTR was about how the Horde welcomed the Blood Elves and there’s a debt to be repaid, and the devs had to be reminded that Thrall originally did not want the Blood Elves in the Horde and it was only because Sylvanas and the Forsaken lobbied for and helped defend the Blood Elves, it was only then that the devs went back and rewrote Lor’themar’s dialogue to the current pro-Baine malarkey.

18 Likes

Thrall asked them to join, Sylvanas blackmail him to no be able to refuse.

Sylvanas lobbied for them to join so she could and did use them later.

1 Like

So? Everyone uses everyone. Lor’themar used the Horde and the Forsaken for security, he can’t repay his debts? He shouldn’t have needed to be blackmailed. He should have just supported his allies…but he’s never been the most loyal character as we know.

Honestly that argument just serves to prove how asinine the line “Baine represents all that is best about the Horde” is coming from Lor’themar that rarely lifts a finger to be helpful /shrug.

8 Likes

yeah… same here…
i also feel like it is extremely out of character for lord’themar.

What connection does he has with him anyway?
did he actually forgot the reason why he was arrested in the first place?
(you know, helping one of his biggest enemies and weapon of the alliance)

why do he even cares about baine,the forsakens or the alliance?

or he is just scared that baine will devour him?

1 Like

Great question! Have they ever even had a conversation? I haven’t read every book, is there a point in a book somewhere where Baine and Lor’themar discuss the Horde and its principles?

Honestly the line comes across as a dev/writers insert rather than something true to the character, because it is. Lor’themar would never say something so trite before BfA.

5 Likes

May I interject here and state plainly that I don’t think the Horde has anything positive to speak about?
So Baine representing what is best about the Horde is nothing but a trick question.

2 Likes

No, Thrall ordered them to join. And Sylvanas reminded them you don’t get free help if you want to be in the Horde.

10 Likes

i don’t remember anything about them even interacting.

the line is like “GOD baine is freaking awesome for betraying the horde to benefit the alliance! why you don’t want to save him?”

is just…wrong…
we are talking about the same dude that wanted to switch sides at the first opportunity.
what did baine did for him or the belfs? :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

That could be handled wayyy better because I can actually imagine Baine and Lor’themar having a good convo about it if he didn’t all of a sudden go “HE’S THE SECOND COMING OF THRALL!”.

1 Like

That line was certainly an intentional insert by the writing team, likely to try to begin building a case for Warchief Baine when none really exists atm. It felt rushed because it is rushed. They spent most the expansion detailing how awful Sylvanas is and sort of seemed to forget they have to build up a replacement candidate in story while also building a case sylvanas has to go… so they sort of slap dashed stuff together.

6 Likes

Well, as Baine is a bovine, I’m assuming he’d at least be edible.

That make him better and more useful than literally anyone else in Horde. (Barring other Tauren)

1 Like

Oh, no, don’t get me wrong … THAT line was total crap.

But, I stand by my point that Lor’themar IS acting totally in character siding against Sylvanas (hell, she even makes it a point to state in War Crimes that he has never ONCE sided with her on a political matter). The reason for this being is pretty plainly spelled out by him in the Heritage Questline; he is perfectly capable of honoring the sacrifices she made for his people in life, without being blinded to who and what she is now. I could see him mounting a rescue for Baine, but not for some stupid ideological reason … but more “If I’m going traitor, might as well try to do it right and get the Tauren in on this rebellion parade by rescuing their doofus leader”.

3 Likes

t. someone who ignored all canon factual content in the Mists of Pandaria expansion.

This expansion is a direct copy of the events in Mists. The same For the Horde attitude Lor’themar has now, he had then when he was leading it during Mists of Pandaria.

I stand by my opinion that while the sentiment as a whole is very literally bull crap, Baine still represents the Horde better than Sylvanas.

I mean … if you want to talk on a fundamental character-structure level, the guy IS a really good representative of the Horde. He’s a son of one of it founders; grew up and developed in Thrall’s Horde (one that INCLUDES the Forsaken, Goblins, and Elves); His heroes and mentors were Thrall, Saurfang, Vol’jin, and Cairne; Is part of the race that saw the potential for redemption in the Forsaken. Conceptually the guy is LITERALLY a product of Thrall’s Horde in every sense of the word (which is something NONE of the other leaders could boast).

On the other hand … concept only goes so far (its what the writers actually DO with him that will define him more, and he’s lacking pretty heavily so far). Its the same thing with Blightcaller … on a structural level there are few characters that actually represent the Forsaken better than him (and there are few who represent Forsaken Free Will better than Voss); but functionally … neither of them are really in a position to represent the Forsaken atm. The irony that Nate is a WAY more representative of what the Forsaken ARE than Sylvie … but its his relationship with her that prevents him from actually BEING that does not elude me.

3 Likes

When DON’T you post about that?

7 Likes

Thrall wanted the Horde to go to Northrend, but if Lother’mar had actually been able to talk to him and not be blackmailed by Sylvanas, he might actually have been able to convince him not to seen his people. Thrall maybe many thing, but at the very least he was always reasonable. Speaking of which:

“Well, I, at least, have not! My vengeance will not be denied, and you will give what I demand of you: the sin’dorei rangers and magi, as well as the Blood Knights.”

Clearly the person demanding stuff from Lorther’mar is Sylvanas more than Thrall.

Sylvanas did nothing wrong with strong arming Lor into going to Northrend. The rest of the Horde would have to compensate for them not pulling their weight, her taking her troops out of Ghostlands to send them to Northrend would have been an appropriate trade off. This really gets overblown just so people can whine about how much of a big meanie Sylv is.

6 Likes