Azerite Token Redemption Mistake

That was my presumption. I mean you can look at my gear, I have: 400 Helm/Shoulders and a 415 Chest. Why would I buy a 415 chest token? Especially when mine is like 2nd or 3rd BiS for me? I think the argument is truthfully valid that it was an accident :confused: @Wariya

for the sake of clarity:

12 Likes

There’s no way to refund something that doesn’t have a refund value. Only the box had a refund value. The item does not. That’s coding, not “I don’t feel like helping you” from a GM.

Because a Bind on Equip piece of gear isn’t a Bind on Pickup piece of gear.

We don’t know if it’s coded that way. So that’s just an assumption.

That’s also a possibility if the coding isn’t what stops them from being able to do anything. And that makes sense.

Because you wanted better traits?

I totally believe it’s an honest mistake, but if they start refunding people then there will be people who take advantage of it.

1 Like

Under the same circumstances? Including have a fail safe in place for those purchases? No, he wouldn’t have. Not unless someone made a mistake and did so against policy.

What everyone seems to forget, and tends to blame it on the “good old days”, is that Game Masters have always tried to help when they could, with policies that supported them. Primarily when players could not help themselves. Over the years Game Masters have been more hands off with certain requests because new systems have been implemented to help prevent such mistakes or allow players to resolve the issue themselves (e.g. Item Restoration system, Character Undelete, Item Refund Timer, BOP trade timer in dungeons, etc.).

Oh, Lexmuther, we aren’t now either. The policies we have in place are our decisions, just like everything else that happens here. In situations where we would have helped previously it was because we didn’t have those kinds of fail safes in place. Since this one absolutely does have it, it is a situation in which we would not be able to help, so say us and only us.

The ask here, which is the philosophy that our Devs have always had, is that we want players to use caution when making these big decisions and again, take responsibility for their actions. I’m sorry you are having difficulty with that but it isn’t because of some big dark overlord or that we simply don’t care, it is because we believe we have put in enough safe guards in this situation and how you interact with the game should have meaning and consequences.

This doesn’t have a lasting consequence, you can earn the Titan Residuum back.

6 Likes

Weird… I don’t see where in this conversation that Blizzard response is being quoted from. But it very eloquently releases them from any further recourse.

Coding issue though it may be, I doubt it’s beyond the scope of what they can do, even if it goes beyond the scope of what they’re willing to do.

1 Like

The guy or gal has rules they gotta follow with their job. I am sure if it was just up to them, they would happily give you a refund. It is not like a real item or money.

We all got rules we have to follow.

3 Likes

it was from the ops other thread in CS.
…you can click the yellow link in the quote box, and it will take you to the original thread.

1 Like

About time someone told these ‘the sky is falling!’ parrots some reality.

5 Likes

Meh, maybe they weren’t supposed to do it but I swear I remember friends having tier tokens and what-not refunded years ago.

I understand if you have rules but it doesn’t make the misclick feel any less bad to OP.

Looks like this thread has been moved from General Discussion. It’s already run its course here in Customer Support.

Do I count? I’ve been here since before BC launched.

As for the question… To code? No, what a Game Master could do have always been based on the tools at their disposal. Tools that are far more robust than they ever have been but what abilities a Game Master has is not the same thing as what policies and procedures govern their actions.

What you may be remembering is the fact that a lot of what had been done in the early days was done so on the fly. Basic policies and procedures were developed to help GM’s help players, again… when they couldn’t help themselves.

Some policies changed simply because of how they were being utilized. Some because we learned better. Changes were made because some policies were being abused, others were updated because new systems were implemented to address the issue that the policies were originally designed to help with.

The problem with remembering the “good old days” is that what may happened isn’t exactly how they did or why they did.

Some were, there were issues over the years where some items were implemented without a fail safe and our staff was able to help until the Devs were able to implement one.

I am not unsympathetic to the situation, truly, but why we aren’t able to help is based on a solid philosophy our CS and Development department has, not because we don’t care, or get our directives from some nefarious overlord.

16 Likes

My code comment was in response to Rhielle’s comment that maybe the item is coded in such a way that a GM couldn’t just replace it. Also, I’ll concede the past I remember could have been GMs having greater latitude because there were no systems in place to handle these things.

But in the case of something that has to be refarmed, at a rather slow and tedious pace – because of game design decisions that are not the GMs’ fault – telling a player that they should have been more careful but sorry, go back to farming residuum is a bit of a cold move.

Also at a time when some players are losing faith in the decisions coming out of that same design team, a little good will gesture, on a case by case discretionary basis, shouldn’t be far-fetched.

1 Like

Dvis if u feel a change needs to be made either post in general or use the ingame suggestion feature those are your only options if u feel a change needs to be made, If you Make its a constructive suggestion by saying GM should be given more latitude on loot problems instead of saying they should go back to the way it was back in WOTLK or BC. BLizzard likes suggestion as long as there not antagonizing not that im saying thats your intent. On that note maybe its time to lock this up vrak.

Ah this bullcrap again. People do love it don’t they? They aren’t ruled by Activision. They are under the holding company Activision Blizzard, which is not the same thing as ‘Activision’. That nickname refers to Activision Publishing, which is the company associated with the logo you know so well, and is a sister company to Blizzard. Activision Blizzard is an entity formed from merging two holding companies, which are basically just stock pools. It does not exert creative control, and certainly doesn’t give a toss about GM policies. ActivBlizz has bigger things to worry about.

Much of this is easily available information you can get from a Google search. Maybe I’m biased because I’m a business grad, but I really don’t think Wikipedia describes it in a way that’s too complicated.

Tripping doesn’t feel good either. Farting in class and having everyone laugh doesn’t feel good. Mistakes don’t feel good, but sometimes they happen and you learn from them and to be more careful. That’s what an adult does.

Or you complain and blame tangentially related parties, wasting time for everyone, and not learning anything. Blizzard’s devs are helpful enough to include some mistake protection, but ultimately you do need to learn that your decisions and mistakes carry weight.

7 Likes

My only gripe with Activision-Blizzard vs Blizzard is that none of the subsidiary units of the holding company have their own CFO anymore – Durkin is the sole CFO over the entire group. Blizzard also no longer has a CEO after Morhaime stepped down. Only a President & SVP. King still has a CEO & COO, while Activision-Blizzard CEO Kotick commands the overall entity as you put it.

I hope as you & Vrak claim, Blizzard alone makes all decisions for Blizzard, but in light of the recent lay-offs, the shareholder earnings call, the record revenue and increased dividends, and the fact that the only CFO is for the holding company, and the fact that ultimately money & profit are any business’s primary goal(s), I do have concerns about who will make final calls on things.

I don’t wish to derail this topic any further than it already has been, so I’ll hold any further remarks for another day, another thread.

1 Like

That can be indicative of semantics changes, no actual structural ones. President can be synonymous with the CEO.

That wasn’t just Blizzard you know. Activision (Publishing) and King would’ve had to lay off people too. It was a corporate-wide thing. Rest of your sentence is mostly just the reason for that.

J. Allen Brack. Unless it concerns Activision and King. The layoffs concerned Blizzard, Activision and King, and while it’s certainly been reported by Blizzard staff (see Kotaku article) that ActivBlizz is trying to get up in their business more, that same source also pointed to Blizzard being none too happy about it.

Alas, you’re right, as interesting as this discussion could get, it’s extremely derailing.

1 Like

Just as a general word of advice, it is not generally wise to re open a locked thread, especially in a forum that stands a very large chance to lay claim to the title of having the largest Blizzard presence of any of the forums at any given time.

This one was actually moved from General Discussion around the same time that Vrak locked down the original :wink: Just one of those rare cases where it looks like they reopened a locked thread but didn’t really.

4 Likes