Authenticater Removal?

I was browsing the forums on my phone during break last night and found a thread about the authenticaters being nixed, the key chain I’ve had since Wrath. Are they being killed outright or will mine still work like normal? It still operates. It’s a little dirty from age but that’s it.

So will mine continue to work as is or are they killing its ability to operate with my account?

1 Like

Blizzard is no longer gonna sell them, but they will still support them. Eventually you are gonna have to move to a mobile app at some point.

1 Like

It should continue to work perfectly fine until the battery dies.

1 Like

The key chain authenticators will continue to be usable until the battery dies or something else causes it to be inoperable. Blizzard is not removing the functionality for those that have one, you just wont be able to get another.

2 Likes

Thank you all. I got the answer I was looking for. if I could I’d bless you with some extra experience on the next kill! I’ve had it since Wrath and the battery still works. Here’s to hoping it lives a long life. And if not I’ll try to pry it open and replace the battery.

1 Like

That right there will kill it. It’s designed to self destruct when tampered with.

3 Likes

Would need a citation on that.

3 Likes

Really? I did not know that. I guess if the battery dies on me it wouldn’t really do much harm to try then.

It’s the technology behind the keyfob. It literally snaps the chip inside in half, the moment the case is cracked open.

2 Likes

That is pretty ingenious. Like the stickers in store bought PCs that change color when exposes to oxygen, meaning you opened the panel. I wonder why they didn’t make it so players could replace the battery?

1 Like

Security. Banks, Financial institutions, and some government enities use the same keyfob.

2 Likes

That explains it then. It’s borrowed technology.

Good read if you are interested on the tech behind it.

1 Like

From a recent thread asking about the physical authenticators.

Regarding transitioning from a keychain authenticator:

• Having your existing mobile number registered with Blizzards SMS protect isn’t necessary but does make transition easier and faster.
  • You don’t actually need a functioning phone with a sim card in it. You can use any old smart phone with wifi.
  • There are a few Android operating system emulators for windows and macs that are free with ads. If you install an emulator, you can download the Blizzard authentication app from the Google Play store. - https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/
2 Likes

Serioulsly? no just google it.

If you make the assertion, you need to back it up with evidence. I sincerely doubt that anyone’s hacked the authenticator app itself.

4 Likes

That’s not how citations work.

7 Likes

Okay, I did… There is no record of the mobile authenticator being hacked. Stop spreading fear and misinformation.

8 Likes