Auction House forces you to buy undercut items?

I agree. I want to see who I’m buying it from. On my server I have certain player that is constantly flooding ah with all kinds of items that are way overpriced. I refuse to buy from them due to them being very greedy. I my self stopped using AH for that reason.

2 Likes

From what I could see when you click on an item you get an interface where the right side is a list of all the items for sale at specific prices. So you’d see, at the top, that [Linen Cloth] has 4 pieces for 2s a piece, and then 3319 pieces for 3s per piece.

You can’t actually select one of the 3s per piece ones, though. Not on it’s own. When you select the 3s per piece item it highlights the 2s a piece one as well. You must buy out the four [Linen Cloth] at 2s a piece before you can buy the ones for 3s per piece.

In theory this shouldn’t be a big deal; you’d normally want to buy for as cheap as possible. In practice this means that the cheapest version is prioritized much more than in the past.

It used to be that a stack of 20 might actually be the cheapest given my needs, even if it’s not the cheapest per item (because there aren’t enough of the cheaper item, for example). What this means is that markets could end up at lower numbers going forward because, as people tend to undercut or match market value, the lower value will slowly be preferred by buyers. This was always true, but now the system actively prevents any other behavior; it’s going to happen faster and possibly more potently.

Just because you think something is irrelevant doesn’t make it factually irrelevant. We all choose things that we care about, and sometimes those things don’t matter to some people. That’s OK, and it shouldn’t frustrate other people; if it does it’s a them problem (read: a you problem).

In practice under cutting has always been a thing, but users have purchased items as they need them; not necessarily just the cheapest ones. A stack of 5 linen might be “cheaper” than a stack of 20, but it might be more expensive per item. This was a method that people used to keep the market value of an item somewhat higher than the bottom value.

When you erase all of that you risk bottoming out markets; everything becomes cheaper because no one will buy the highest price. Even when people might have bought that higher price because it was a stack of 50 and not a stack of 200. It created a complex pricing game that, in practice, meant that the value of items were somewhat fluctuating based on stack size, overall market value, and convenience.

That’s gone now.

While I don’t necessarily think that the OP’s complaint, not being able to ignore undercutters, is necessarily the real problem, it is a manifestation of the overall problem.

The new auction house undermines that ability of a seller, and a buyer, to dictate the market. Instead, the system now dictates the market. This is a definable loss of control.

7 Likes

I like to play the AH, I will buy out all the low costing mats and once I have a good lot (usually between 100 and 200) and the market is empty usually < 50, I will post them at least 5 to 6 hundred % profit. So you can call me what you want but I help out the people selling their items at a low level and don’t understand how WoW millionaires’ work.

The Millionaires of WoW do not farm when they need, they might farm for gold ( I doubt it) but almost never for game needs. Like needing herbs for your alchemist to level them up. That’s the point of being a millionaire, being able to play the game without having to waste time on grinding gold.

For example I will buy 100 peace bloom at 3 gold a piece then turn around and sell them for 11 gold a piece. A player with Millions of gold who just started a new toon with Alchemy/inscription will buy it all up in a heartbeat!

I am not a WoW millionaire (just an fyi) I was close to being one before I quit in Legion but then I bought a game off of the WoW store and an obscene amount of loot boxes for Overwatch (which I regret now, both the game (Destiny 2) and loot boxes)

Anyways back on track the; reasons to buy materials from the AH from a specific seller can be as innocent as helping a friend or buying it from yourself. It’s a good way to transfer fund to an Alt of opposite faction. Although I have found buying pets (though longer to sell) a better way to transfer funds.

So say you’re an Alliance toon and you need to get 5000 gold to a Horde toon. You can sell 3 stacks of ore (going for 12 gold) at 3 gold a pop. Your Horde toon, (you have to be quick on the draw) You log on to your Horde toon buy all the ore, the 600 gold minus 5 % (570 gold) goes back into your alliance toons pocket and then Your horde toon can either keep the mats or sell them for the same amount or a bit more to make up for the Blizzards cut (5% I think and what I calculated).
I am almost sure you also need 2 accounts, which really means nothing if you’re a WoW millionaire as everything can be bought with gold.

I only have 1 account and have never tried to buy something from myself on an opposing faction. I might try it tonight with something completely useless just to see if it work, but I am still pretty sure it’s dependent on 2 or more accounts.

You missed the point about losing choice, which is that it doesn’t matter if we see the other prices because we can only buy from the lowest. Then if you buy more than the lowest price quantity, it just moves you to the next batch at the higher price.

1 Like

If so, then I should be able to buy something for 1 silver more if I want to support that buyer instead.

3 Likes

Wow, please come shop in my store.

I’ve heard there are people that like to pay more than market but I’ve never actually seen one. It’s like you are a unicorn!

Gotta be honest , when I buy from the AH I always pay the lowest price no matter what.

Please let me know what you need. I’ll buy it from the AH and repost it at 10x the lowest price. You buy it and then get all kinds of satisfaction that you, “ showed ‘em”. It’s win-win.

Let’s show those pricing cutting losers how a free market really works!!!

1 Like

i am so sorry that you were forced to save a small amount of money, you have my deepest condolences as i press F for you on the world’s smallest violin

No, these are people with principles. These are people who want freedom of choice. These are people with thick enough skin to create a thread sharing their issue, knowing they will have to deal with dismissals and attacks from people who are unable to create intelligent counter arguments.

11 Likes

This is something Blizzard has been consistently removing since the corporate takeover several xpacs ago.

5 Likes

Okay, maybe one person mentioned what I said about cross faction gold muling while the thread continued to whine on forever. That makes me suspicious that the people arguing are just putting up a front and are really power AH users that are upset they can’t just sell apples or level 1 gear to themselves or their gold buying customers without some headache involved.

I would much rather inconvenience the gold sellers than allow the 0.01% of people that need to be so uptight as to waste in game currency to teach someone a lesson.

2 Likes

You say that as if thats a bad thing?

No, it’s really not. Best price wins. That’s how capitalism works.

There are reasons to actively need to target specific sellers, but none of them are legit.

There’s gold laundering for real $$$ sellers, gold transferring through cross realm AHs, hiding payments for things like boosting services…

Just…nothing legit. Not when you take the actual purpose of the AH into account.

2 Likes

Apologies, i assumed since you could see the more expensive items you could also purchase them.

3 Likes

if it makes you feel better I like to undercut by 25s or 1g.You don’t sell anything by being nice so do what you gotta do to get the sale-undercut till it sells.

Anyone who sells higher than me is a no life auction goblin who only cares about money. Anyone who sells lower than me is a casual undercutting thief. Prove me wrong!

4 Likes

you know full well you don’t sell jack unless you undercut–it’s fact.

I certainly didn’t find his post obnoxious at all. I fully agree with Byuk.

1 Like

Wait, I don’t understand what the fuss is all about. Are you complaining that you want to pay more for items on the AH??! Shoot, I don’t. I will take the cheapest ones showing.

Then message the seller you want to buy from and buy direct from them. Problem solved.

When players ask for a change in the AH doesn’t mean you get what you want . You either get good change or bad change . Nothing in the middle .
What I have started to understand is that Blizzard is listen to the wrong or bad players and give then what they want . Making everyone to suffer under bad players . Time and time again Blizzard is listen to these players .