Auction House forces you to buy undercut items?

As above; it’s more complex than that. Eternally selling only the cheapest item per unit price can result in market instability.

Previously you might say to yourself “I need 30 [Deep Sea Satin]” and go to the Auction House. There might be 30 individual [Deep Sea Satin] that are all “the cheapest” per unit, but that was dreadfully annoying and I’m glad it went away. A lot of people might, instead, pay a slightly higher amount per unit to buy a single stack of 30.

Because the unit price isn’t static it can be a better deal with buy precisely 30 items, even if the cost is higher per unit, than buying a 200 stack.

The new Auction House, obviously, shattered the old model. We can no longer sell in stacks and offer “bargains” (say, 1.5g per unit in stacks of 5, 2g per unit individually, and 1g per unit in stacks of 20). This might seem great to the average user, you don’t have to think about prices at all now, but essentially the entire auction house is now stacks of 1 and you can’t ever get lucky and buy up a stack of 20 for slightly lower than market value.

Essentially there’s no such thing a stack value anymore. You can’t price items based on their stack sizes, so there’s no incentive to try to create a range of prices. Only the cheapest items will sell, and they’re always handled as stacks of one behind the scenes.

Which, if you understand the system, can cause the cheapest price to get lower. People will still undercut, but now only those people are going to get sold. Even better, of course, because when they post at the cheaper price they are now the preferred auction. The system sells off items that were posted more recently first, so the undercutters selling right now are the ones driving the market.

Essentially anyone sitting on, say, twice the market value (hoping, perhaps, that overnight someone will buy it for convenience) is essentially removed from the playing field. You become more and more handicapped the longer your auction sits there; as more people move into the queue in front of you they take priority.

Imagine that you went to Burger King to buy a burger. Then someone else comes in and puts in an order. First In; Last Out. Everyone who comes in after you is prioritized more and more until you leave and go somewhere that doesn’t work that way. If you’re not serviced relatively quickly you’re odds of getting that burger become lower and lower until they reach a theoretical floor of “never”.

5 Likes

Welcome to “Free Market” and “Capitalism”

1 Like

If Burger King have changed the menu , than I would go some where else . I would told Burger King CEO stop listening to stupid people . " Get you head out of your butt and fix the mess you have created . " towards the CEO of Burger king . " Again stop listening to stupid people ."

Except not.

It’s like undercutting a rival car salesman by $1 on a $30,000 car. But nobody is going to drive an additional 10 miles to save that $1.

When the margin of difference is relatively negligible in comparison to the overall cost, then “best price wins” does not apply as they’re effectively the same price.

I have always looked at prices when buying stuff off of the AH and bought from people who didn’t undercut by 1s or 1c on the matter of principle. Simply because they’re not being competitive with their pricing as they’re just doing a superficial undercut to look like they’re being competitive but really they’re just price fixing.

3 Likes

Considering you are a void elf bunny-girl, your opinion on this and most subjects can be ignored (\s\s\s\s\s\s I have to poke fun at the bunny ears. It’s required by law).

Seriously, the 10 miles for $1 only works if traveling those 10 miles costs something. In the case of the AH the travel cost for that difference does not exist and the lowest price should win. There is no opposing “principle” here. There is only the truth of the market.

Literally that is what they are supposed to be doing.
If someone spends a chunk of time farming with the intent to sell, who are you tell say it’s wrong lol

I know in the past, if it’s an item I bought frequently, I would try to seek out the same seller. I would also avoid sellers who I knew if given the opportunity to do so, they’d gouge the market as soon as their competition’s auctions dropped off. Basically reputation of the seller if known.

Also pretty sure I’ve been using bunny ears here longer than most people if not everyone. It is my trademark! Been wearing them since WotLK.

1 Like

I think they meant that they’re not even farming said items in order to sell them. They’re just buying out the competition to corner the market and driving up the prices so that people HAVE to buy from them at their inflated price. Then if anybody else tries to enter into the market to sell, they drive down the prices to discourage them from selling or to get them to lower their price to buy them out then to mark everything back up.

1 Like

The advantage of the new auction house is that it’s now much more difficult to price-fix and actually encourages opposite behavior (undercutting).

The old auction house gave sellers far too much information. Just, way too much. Things are now much more even between buyers and sellers which actually makes it easier to sell things if you’re not a power user.

This is a good thing. It does mean that you’re going to have to re-learn how to abuse the AH, and things might be a bit harder for you, but it’s better for everyone in the long run. Especially since this opens up the ability for the devs to further consolidate the playerbase into larger realms which means giving you access to more potential buyers when you try to sell (the AH system was the old bottleneck to realm size).

I support the person who refuses to buy from folks who undercut by 1 copper or 1 silver. We should be able to buy whatever we want at whatever price we choose.

I do the same all the time. I find it rather annoying cutting someone by 1 copper r silver and refuse to support such behavior.

3 Likes

Not wrong, but if they undercut by 1 copper, I will not be supporting them.

1 Like

I think one of the unstated goals was to make it harder to launder gold by selling some trivial item for an outrageous price to a friend on the other faction.

1 Like

usually the best way.

When in guild/corps/etc I always ask who are my master crafters.

I usually prefer to buy off people I know first. and keep it in the family in the case of guilds/corps/etc.

they say a good price we work up a transaction. they don’t…I go to market.

this was also how I handled my larger item creations in eve. I was more open to making 1 billion isk ships knowing I was getting paid before I made it. Its not always fun seeing your 4 billion isk of ships sitting a for a week on the market.

SO if a corp mate wrote me since I made it known I could make say t2 battleships…deals made, ships made, ships sold not even touching the markets.

1 Like

That’s pretty accurate actually.

2 Likes

I suspect the anger comes from two players (or characters from different accounts owned by the same person), attempting to move items/gold across factions that aren’t account-bound, which is against the TOS.

Because someone undercut them, they can’t access the item to buy without buying the undercut item first.

2 Likes

Most likely because you tried to buy something that was out of stock cause all were bought, So it auto chooses the next the lowest priced stock.

YES, that seems much more likely than someone pissing their pants over being forced to buy a cheap item.

2 Likes

yep. As this is a reason why I love this new AH. 8.3 did at least one thing good. People say the forums are negative…there is a small dose of positive lol. I don’t see the 20000 gold stack of mats.

Like when I made the new fox monk. the SOP buy the bags happened after gold sent in the mail.

In the old days it was search all 30 slot bag names, sort price and see what was cheaper. So you end up researching several bags to do a price competition.

New AH…its all there. All 30 slots shown as 1 line item per bag name , price sorted…boom done.

Undercuts? welcome to a free market. One player deems the mats and time to get them being worth say 700 gold per, well since used, bag.

Another player thinks that are worth 1200.

One player needs to reevaluate their price scheme. It may be the 1200 gold bag player. Just saying…As the 700 bag seller is probably making gold off bulk sales.

700 a bag, quantity 4…and one player is getting 2800 gold. Mr/Ms 1200 a bag, yeah…2400 I all I get is 2 of them. 3600 just 3 bags. Yeah…this is not happening.

1 Like

Right, what the consumer wants is not “legit” in capitalism.

+1. Sounds like everything I know about capitalism, actually.

…Just not what the free market white knight will tell you about it.

If you really want to buy from a specific seller, you have multiple options. Trade is a thing. I’d start by sending them in game mail and chatting about it. Legitimately.

Otherwise, what’s stopping you from buying the undercut item, then the item you want from the seller you want to buy from, then relisting the undercut item?

You might even make a profit, and wouldn’t that be best?

But I suspect that’s not really the issue here.