Auction House forces you to buy undercut items?

Bought a couple gems today and noticed that even though I wanted to buy from the person selling at 30 gold even, the AH kept auto-selecting a gem that was undercut by 1 silver. Thus I was forced to buy the undercut one if I wanted to buy a gem.

So my question is… is there a way to buy from a specific seller and/or at a specific price that I actually want - e.g. at an integer amount of gold?

I don’t want to buy from the jerks that undercut by a silver.

18 Likes

No, we can only buy the lowest price. They might as well not even show the other listings. No more choices.

8 Likes

Why don’t you want to buy from people who’s item is 1s cheaper than another?

34 Likes

If they want to sell under the market value and cut themselves out of a profit so be it.

17 Likes

because some people are obvious AH power-players, cheats, and scoundrels. you see the same sellers for certain items becuase they spend massive amounts of gold to lock out competition for some things and undercut everyone else no matter what. if i can, i try not to buy from any seller with a name like bankaltycoon or others that are just known for being auction trolls.

39 Likes

There’s no way for one player to lock another out of the AH

8 Likes

not literally lock them out, but you can repeatedly undercut them so that they never make a sale, thus cornering the market until they give up.

you can also troll the “tycoons” and ah-bots this way by repeatedly cancelling your own auctions, undercutting them, and driving the price down until you can either buy their mats really cheap, or they move to a different kind of item

6 Likes

That’s not trolling.

It’s literally how free market capitalism works.

Welcome to Econ 101.

45 Likes

So it’s not ok that they cancel and relist their auctions at the lowest price.

But it’s ok that you do?

16 Likes

not really. if that was the case the AH would have dynamic pricing where you set an instant buyout price, and a minimum you’re willing to drop it down to, and then periodically lower the price until it hit hte minimum you set, without you having to cancel and relist

3 Likes

If there not getting bought out they aren’t undercutting the market, the price was too high for the supply and the demand.

7 Likes

that’s not always true either. i’ve played the AH game before, it’s not that hard, or wasn’t with tradeskillmaster and other AH automation addons reducing it to merely clicking “okay” over and over again.

you sit and you watch and as soon as someone posts something that undercuts you, you cancel, and relist at 1 silver lower. i’ve done it and i’ve had it done to me.

So why is ok that you do it and not anyone else?

10 Likes

Careful there, person who read a basic economy is coming through ignoring all reality for the sake of a quote they worship as fact.

i never said it wasn’t okay. i just said it was possible because someone said it wasn’t.

If there’s enough buyers at 100g and not enough supply, it doesn’t matter what an undercuter sells it for, they’ll sell out, and there will still be buyers at 100g.

If there’s not enough buyers at 100g and too much supply the price will keep going down until there are enough buyers for the supply.

If you can be under cut and not sell your product you were asking too much.

12 Likes

i’m not debating the market forces, those are obvious, or at least they should be. and you shouldn’t deny that humans are quirksome critters who don’t always follow that kinda thing. if OP wants to pay a higher price becuase he doesn’t want to buy from a different seller, he should be able to.

10 Likes

Yes really.

You’re describing stocks and securities, and setting automated buy/sell limits like etrade software.

The AH deals in usable products, not shares in The Venture Trading Company. You can always cancel an auction and relist it at a different price.

You can also buy out all the people selling items at what you feel are “undercut” pricing if you wish.

Just because someone wants to unload 1k of mageweave cloth and they’re selling it below vendor trash pricing, doesn’t mean they’re trolling or a scoundrel.

What you should be doing is buying out everything below whatever you think the fair market value of the item should be, then relisting it at the price you think is fair.

5 Likes

We can only hope an AH addon gets to working, new AH is actual trash

I don’t have a problem with that.