Arfus is massively disrespectful towards your players and their time

If the mount and the pet did not exist, would you still do the horseman?

There is not one mount or pet or item in the game that was RNG that when I got I went “Wow, feels so good to have this so I can rub it into everyone else’s face that I got absolutely lucky and got this item by pure chance! I’m so exclusive now for having basically won the lottery!!” People who think that a rare drop item makes them special severely overestimate how much people actually care about their luck. If it’s a Gladiator mount you earned by using your skill and being in the top whatever percent of players, yeah pretty impressive. If it’s a holiday mount/pet only available for 2 weeks, with a once-a-day chance per eligible character, grats you have a horseshoe up your butt and got lucky. Have a pat on the head and a cookie.

3 Likes

Just because that’s how it’s always been doesn’t mean it’s not bad. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. The fact is they’re using RNG to retain players, when they could just take a different route and actually create content worth playing.

As they have been since the inception of the game?

People don’t actually care for this; they just want efficient rewards. If something spits out the rewards quickly then it’s good content and they stop doing it.

Calendar says: Hollow’s End Ends 11/01 11:00am. Reset is at 11:00am. You do not have an hour.

Its bad reward design, when you’ve a Reward Dev starting a comment wiht “Yep, this isn’t fun”, that says everything.

Its a game and it should promote fun first, the activity is basically a sloot machine because the gameplay isn’t fun after some attempts and its just the same cycle.

Most players won’t do the horseman…

That’s why this must be changed to new gameplay with better replayability and better rewards that feel like a goal for the player.

Gameplay:

• Hardmode Horseman
  • Holiday World Quest
  • Holidya PvP Brawl
  • Holiday World Evet

Then you’ve different kind of activities, all drop the candy currency

Rewards:

• XP potions for alts
  • Stat runes
  • A whole set of gear or drop tokens of the last catch up gear, besides the 2 rings, 1 sword, 1 helmet piece
  • Mount
  • Pet
  • Other cosmetics

All these items from RNG and also a vendor.

1 Like

I thought that was because the rocket was literally like 1 in 2000-5000 and the only semi-viable way of farming it was making 50 characters. Just increase droprate for first kill to discourage alt spam, which I think they did.

Uh… no? There’s tons of content where it’s not the case or not so heavily. And if Blizzard wouldn’t let their Holiday events rot in a forgotten corner but instead do something with it every year, there would also be an incentive to do the content repeatedly.

I haven’t done horseman in the last years because I’ve got the mount a long time ago. And that’s where the game design failed. Holiday events in other MMOs deliver something new every year where people are actually encouraged to play the event. If the now rare stuff would go to the vendor there would still be people grinding out holiday currency to buy it - and if someone’s afraid that the queue for the HH gets too long then… why not let him drop significantly more currency so that it’s actually worth queuing for it? Just slapping some new low percent heavy RNG stuff into the loot table is extremely lazy design.

No, after all these years people are just sick of wasting their time for nothing.
And there’s even a blue post acknowleding that there’s nothing fun about that.

2 Likes

And if it doesn’t give them the rewards they want within a reasonable time frame, they quit and still stop doing it. You’re acting like people absolutely have to do this content just because Blizzard released it. The fact is that most people these days would sooner quit the game entirely than keep at a video game grind for a full year.

Apparently not, though.

1 Like

What did you just see, Lisa?..that meme.

A lot of players are still doing the same massive amount of attempts. RNG is a beast, it could be 90% drop rate first attempt that you could have bad luck for years…that doesn’t provide anything at the end of the event and we need better replaybility, the fun aspect is being left behind.

They added the new off hand appearance to the vendor but NOT the pet.

Now explain why.

Was it because its “good” game design?? Or is it because they know people will spend more time opening what might as well be a lootbox, which translates into more money for Bobby???

Not everything has to be put on a vendor for currency.

1 Like

Why?

Tell me

Because the game isn’t built to rush rewards to everybody as efficiently and easily as possible.

Sorry if the game is getting in the way.

1 Like

But that fight isn’t hard and someone can get it first try, which sounds pretty easy to me.

Certainly easier than having to maybe do the dailies (which exist for no reason currently) or the candy buckets or different quests.

I say once more: the rat has fallen in love with the maze

2 Likes

Right now, if you want to maximize your chance of getting the mount, it’s in your best interest to repeat this event every day on as many characters as possible. That’s… mathematically correct, but not a great experience.

:man_shrugging:

Whatever happened to that guy anyways

Something about allegations, having to resign and disappearing

Couldn’t have happened to a sleazier guy

Apparently a lot of people haven’t been enabling the affixes.

But one fight will never be as difficult as doing the dailies, questlines and candy buckets which exist across expansions are are literally useless besides 1 achievement.

So, in your estimation it’s better to leave players feeling frustrated and hopeless because that somehow will increase their engagement with the content? My wife ran the Horseman 230 times in 2 weeks. She didn’t get the mount or Arfus. I did 6 runs and got Arfus. I felt horrible because truth be told I didn’t even want the pet, I just ran with her on all my tanks to help her get a better queue time on her healers. I couldn’t even trade it to her. She put in hours doing this over 2 weeks and has absolutely nothing to show for it. The vast majority of people would rather have a goal to work towards rather than be at the mercy of RNG. Imagine the uproar if the AOTC mount each season was RNG for your first time killing the end boss on heroic. The AOTC mount is something you work towards. It has a limited time to achieve, but it is within reach of the majority of players. Why do holiday loot drops have to be RNG dependent? Why are you against allowing them to be something you work towards within that 2 weeks?

4 Likes