Arfus is massively disrespectful towards your players and their time

I say this as someone who was lucky enough to get Arfus on my 7th attempt on Day 1. It took me until yesterday to get the Dragonriding Armor too.

It is 2023. You need to respect your players and their time more than to make people grind 20+ toons a day on a repetitive battle chasing a small 1% drop chance.

The “improved odds on the first kill of a day” you started with the Love Rocket did not add a noticeable difference - people have compared the wowhead drops from each year, and this year did not have an increase in Love Rockets % drop.

Add Arfus to the vendor for Tricky Treats. Add the Dragonriding Armor too. Hell, add the Headless Horseman’s Mount, Helm, and Sword too.

Stop gating everything behind RNG for in-game events that are supposed to be fun. Leave them as an OPTION in RNG for those who enjoy that, but allow others to actively spend their time working on buying them from the event with the currency.

Hell, I’m pretty sure at this point, people wouldn’t even care if you made Tricky Treats BoA and made Headless Horseman’s Reins cost like 2,000 Treats, so you had to do candy buckets on more than one toon. Because then an end would be in sight.

But to add ANOTHER item to the RNG loot is just disrespectful. To add a second one is just evil. Stop treating your players like their time doesn’t matter.

175 Likes

I second this!

P.S. Or get a clue about how many attempts would generate a 99% chance of acquisition (i.e., 1% drop rate is 99% chance of acquisition after 458 attempts, 15% drop rate is 99.2% chance after 30 attempts). 458 attempts is not reasonable under most circumstances and certainly not for a Holiday item.

I think the only place where RNG is appropriate is in the variation of throughput for the three player roles: tanking, healing, and damage dealers. Items should be earned over time within a definitive time frame, such as a currency earned at various difficulties to buy a random item for a specific slot (gear-specific) or a specific item (includes gear, but also pets, toys, mounts, especially for holiday events).

20 Likes

Ultimately I think the main reason why they never let us work towards the rewards rather than force us to rely on dumb luck, is simply because there isn’t the population to support it anymore. If people could work towards the mount for example, eventually you’d never be able to get the dungeon to pop. And if that is actually the case, blizz would be forced to develop new content for it every year…the horror!

15 Likes

Make the event only once per account per day. Now everyone’s time is respected!

J/k. Put stuff on for currency too so we can get complaints about blizz not respecting players’ time because now they have to grind 50 toons per day to get enough currency to buy everything.

3 Likes

It’s the Timeless Isle model: incredibly low drop rates on things with limited attempts or long respawns.

I said, at the time, that Timeless Isle was horrible.

Everyone else was heaping universal praise on it.

Boy did you guys screw up when you did that. Now we’re stuck with it because they’ve been using it for almost everything, ever since.

20 Likes

Would be nice to be able to purchase arfus, i’ve had no luck whatsoever with the drop and i run this everyday on all my characters.

15 Likes

They already have a declining population problem. To solve that, at least for 5-mans to start with, they should consider AI NPC assistants filling the empty roles after a 10-minute timer expires. That would be an optional checkbox for people that absolutely don’t want to play with an AI. Once the AI is debugged it could be applied to LFR. Certainly that would address the excessive 30+ minute queues that DPS experience for certain applicaitons.

8 Likes

Just do both. Have the boss drop it, AND a currency to get the items.

Either you get it by dumb luck, or you do it enough times to just get it.

25 Likes

Or go back to the original Horsemen model the year it was first introduced.

We farmed up mounts for the ENTIRE GUILD that year.

4 Likes

Simple Solution to that: Have it drop a little more currency.

Right now it drops 4x as much as one candy bucket.

Boost that to like 6x as much.

People will 100% still queue.

Not to mention you’d still have an RNG chance at it.

5 Likes

I picked up both Arfus and the saddle in less than a week running once a day on my main, all without touching the wickerman debuffs. Either I’m really luck, or some of you are really unlucky.

It’s too bad these sorts of things aren’t annual events. I mean, then you could have a chance to get them next year if you were extremely unlucky this year. Oh, wait…

3 Likes

It’s also only made worse by the fact it’s a limited time event that happens only once a year so if you have no luck gotta wait a year to get another chance.

12 Likes

Which, again, was dealt with in the original version.

But no, Blizzard always has to screw over the social players to cater to the antisocial queue players.

6 Likes

If it’s not worth your time then don’t do it. Current year isn’t going to change that companies only care about your time when it’s given to them.

In fact, as the years go on it’s only going to get worse.

1 Like

You’re assuming blizz wants everyone to get it the first year it’s available.

3 Likes

part of me wishes that they’d make these things… tradeable. Honestly. I had arfus drop. Twice. And I cry because I want to give him to someone else in the dungeon and I CAN"T. so he sits. in my bag. the little extra pet because I don’t want to just yeet him … :frowning:

14 Likes

At the very least, they should add an account wide bad luck protection. Each run you do increase the drop chance, even by 1%, so if you do 100 runs you’ll know you’ll get it.

I hate RNG.

26 Likes

They could make the loot-filled pumpkin drop 50 tricky treats.

i got him today and wish i could vend him

1 Like

I noticed a difference.