Arena PVP S1 changes announced

We are full blown TBC retail now.

You wanted #somechanges and this is what you get for not staying faithful to the original.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/burning-crusade-classic-beta-notes-may-4/938907/5

41 Likes

Holy crap, they just nerfed melee - especially Shaman. They absolutely did this because players were preparing to do PvP for the free AP to get the weapons, which are BiS for many.

Wow, this is just… wow. Totally ridiculous.

Not only did they undo the late TBC changes that fixed early TBC gearing for melee (especially Shaman), they’re now artificially changing it so you can’t even get PvP weapons, which was always used and the case. This is totally unlike TBC and absolutely a retail change.

45 Likes

don’t be bad and get 2050 then if you want PvP weapons.

“waaaaah my free weapons got taken away from me”

Good honestly… if you CAN’T get a 2050 rating you do NOT deserve PvP ARENA weapons.

EDIT - after seeing that you need to maintain these ratings to use the gear (if true) is such a terrible thing to do.

The beauty of classic / TBC is that it allows casuals to succeed just like the hardcore do, just at a slower pace. this KILLS casuals.

13 Likes

It’s not just needing to get to 2050, it also requires you to stay at that rating to keep using them.

This is entirely a negative change and is not at all authentic to TBC, which has demonstrably negative effects for many. It also directly translates to a worse PvP community and experience as people are not on the same level, and trying to break into higher ratings without the gear playing against those with the gear will be that much harder.

19 Likes

So far they havent announced any sort of random decay to your arena ratings, so - so long as you can get ONE rating up above 2050 and just not pvp on that anymore I think you’d be solid for keeping the weapons equipped

**now that I’ve said it they’ll make it happen. Thats usually my luck

if you can’t get 2050 rating you don’t deserve a free weapon

2 Likes

So those who like to PvP can never leave their team nor drop below that rating for fear of losing their gear.

It’s not about being unable to get to the rating or not, it’s the design and principle entirely.

6 Likes

One should be able to hit 2050 MMR without much trouble…

HOWEVER its the “has to maintain 2050 rating to use”

So if you join a different team, and fall below 2050 MMR you all of a sudden cannot use the weapon

1 Like

Are you basing this off retail?

Correct, along with other gear, as teams start at 0.

2 Likes

Ohhh, let me clarify.

MMR works as a PERSONAL rating not a team rating. So you can have a team thats a lower rating but your own personal MMR is still 2050+

The section in blizzcon arena explains how they would implement MMR on a possible basis.

So… lets say your MMR is 2050. But your team rating and your teammates is 1600. You win a match against a high MMR team but at a low team rating your 1600 team mates will get 50 points, while you get 10 points.

But if you lose, you all lose 10.

If you lose against a team with a worse MMR than your teams average rating you then lose 50 and your team mates lose 10.

Its some shenanigan wizard goblin snot with numbers but so long as you maintain your personal MMR rating of 2050 you will be fine

They are LITERALLY taking the MMR system from retail Esp, that’s exactly what they’re doing.

But they are applying it to TBC and basic team ratings as well

2 Likes

Has gear ever had a rating requirement to EQUIP? I don’t recall there ever being a time in any version of the game where you could lose the ability to equip gear you had already acquired based on rating.

I don’t like rating requirements on PvP gear at all as I think casual PvP and encouraging people to have fun on alts etc is better for PvP, but rating requirements to equip seems completely insane.

6 Likes

Removing a pool of players from PVP is always bad for PVP as a whole. There will be a chunk of the player base who won’t bother with casual PVP anymore and I find it funny how often the majority argues about elitism being bad in this game and fighting for more of a “everyone is a winner” philosophy when this change is as casual unfriendly as it gets.

Through all the laughter and downvoting there were people like me saying that if you allowed actiblizz too much freedom to change the game they would turn TBC into complete bs asap. I didn’t come back to classic to put up with a garbage company moulding it into their own failed vision.

28 Likes

That’s just… not a good system for TBC, then. It’s honestly terrible. I don’t actually know who benefits.

I’m in this boat too. I was going to dabble in PvP and see what rating I could get to, and now I just don’t really feel like it at all.

9 Likes

Its not a good system. I absolutely hate it… They said “post 2008” so we dont know which version of MMR we’re getting will it be wrath? or full out retail calculations… all it says is “there will be a range similar to what was seen in 2008” which is wrath. But that was like 2500 average team ratings for super high ranked players

1 Like

I just don’t understand why they thought this would be a good idea at all. It hurts casual PvPers more than anyone else, honestly, and it also hurts average PvPers and PvE players trying to PvP.

9 Likes

Their honest thing with introducing MMR and the system with it was to lower queue times for high ranked players, so u could still match to a lower team and get a small amount of points per win and still advance.

I personally liked the idea of the MMR system to shorten queue times…

BUT THIS. THIS CHANGE WITH REQUIRING MMR TO EQUIP ITEMS IS A BIG HOT STEAMER OF AN IDEA

1 Like

Blizzard is taking away one of the gear progression paths for people to get gear. Being able to get Arena gear to offset your gear progression was amazing.

TBC was amazing because you could get gear from PVP and use it in PVE and vice versa. The gear progression paths were awesome.
Raiding, badges, PVP could fill all your gear spots with upgrades so you could progress your character.

23 Likes

This is i think the s4 system, and basicly killed the season.

This is not authentic to TBC and shouldnt be in. It will destroy arena as a whole from both the top and the bottom end.

Top end players will stop to they keep their raiting so they will have frozen teams, and bottom end players just wont play as they are faced with both facing teams with gear they cant get and even if they do get it they can then not play with it cause they might lose the ranking.

There is no reason to have requirements on the gear at all. Bad people getting their “welfare” weapons or what not isnt the end of the world.
There should always be the oppertunity to get the gear even if you do it at a much slower rate.

As it is, all this system is going to do is get people to boost arena rating and freeze the team for the season so they can use the gear.

This is possibly the most idiotic way to do arena in tbc.
I know i for one will be sorely annoyed.
Quite probably wont play arena beyond getting or buying the ratings for the gear and leaving it at that if this is what the system will be.

23 Likes

When people say “no changes” they aren’t saying the game is perfect and can’t be improved, they’re saying they don’t trust Activision to not make it worse. This is a prime example of that.

22 Likes

Are you sure about this? I don’t remember that being the case. I don’t remember ever not being able to use my gear after decaying down.