Arena PVP S1 changes announced

This is an entirely different PvP system. They specifically say that you must hit a specific rating to purchase and equip. They also say that they will have a, “consistent rating requirement” which either means you need to maintain that rating to keep using the gear, or they will have the same rating requirement for each season.

It’s incredibly poorly worded.

3 Likes

there IS an opportunity for everyone to get the gear. you just have to be good enough to earn it. you shouldnt get rewarded the same loot while being a far worse player. bad players getting a weapon isnt the end of the world, but it does ruin the prestige of it. look at glad titles in retail now. theyre worthless, anyone can get them now with how inflation works. thats effectively how weapons/shoulders will be with this system in TBC.

you also act like someone having the weapon or not is bigger problem then it is. the difference in stats between gear in TBC is MUCH smaller then it is in retail. its like a 5% difference in stats between each season in TBC, whereas in retail its closer to 30%. having a slightly better weapon then someone else isnt likely going to be the reason why youre losing games.

i agree that there shouldnt be a consistent rating requirement to use the gear, only to equip it though. but i think theyre just trying to preemptively combat boosting by making it so if they dont belong at that rating, they wont be able to keep the reward.

I think rating requirements will be removed from pervious seasons of gear…

I think it isnt the S4 system, but closer to retail system.

All they said in the blue post is that “we’ll see similar ranges of scoring as from 2008” not that its the WotLK calculations for MMR. jus that the RATINGS we see will be equivalent to wrath where we had 2500-2700 rated teams or so VS topping out at 2.3k about

What a stupid take. Being forced to be the underdog because you don’t have the gear and others do is stupid, and arbitrarily forcing a gap in success based on skill and gear is bad too. The, “prestige” is also stupid because there isn’t any when the game is 14 years old.

What’s the gap between the blue gear -> S1?

We don’t even know if that’s how it’s going to work because of how bad the wording is.

5 Likes

Right, but that doesn’t help us in S1, and the damage will already be done if that’s how it is. People who may have been interested in PvP (like myself) will lose all interest and not want to do it, even later.

We finally get PvE options in P2, but it’s too little too late. Also our first Netherbane, for example, a t5 weapon, being an offhand upgrade over a mainhand because of Kara/BS weapons being MH is… also dumb. It directly hurts how much of an upgrade it is because an offhand upgrade is much less valuable, but we have no choice. A blue -> t5 is better than a t4 -> t5.

6 Likes

The argument i am making is a deminishing returns argument.
Since its based on ratings and ratings are based on a win loss ratio.

Lets say the average rating is 1500 ( the starting rating for tbc arena )

If you have 100 people above and 100 people below then you take out the 100 people below you have less people getting that requirement, this gets even worse the more times you repeat it.

If you are a 2.5k glad player and all you ever face is the top team that allways wins you will never get that rating, This is the absured end point of dimishing returns.

You act like people wont buy the ever loving crap out of the ratings just to get the weapons and shoulders etc. This will also force more people out the bottom end.

If there is no incentive to keep comming back then people wont. This alone will kill pvp in TBC.
Make this quoteable if you want because it will.

I say this as not the best player but im better than average. I just got 2k in s3, i am not the best but far from the worst and i am the type of player that would be most affected by this and i am telling you it will be a massacre.

Not denying that in the slightest.

In retail its personal MMR per bracket… Which I would assume this will work the same way. That means you can get 2050 MMR in 5’s and then get your weapons and go wreck 2’s and 3’s at whatever MMR you play at.

This only exacerbates team carries

2 Likes

Except in TBC Classic where we’ll start at 0…

:unamused:

1 Like

that gap in gear has pretty much always existed, its nothing new. and it would exist even with the TBC system. and like i said, the difference between you winning and losing a game likely isnt going to be you having a 1% difference in stats vs not. only 5 pieces of gear are rating gated, so you wont be missing out on much by not having them.

the age of the game has literally nothing to do with the prestige of something.

thats why i said “i think.” blizzard is notoriously bad at saying how things are intended to be, so that was my assumption of it, partly based off of retail since thats mostly the system were getting and thats how theyre trying to handle things there.

Arena is mostly a zero sum game. If you gain rating, someone else is losing rating. By definition, not everyone can get gear

1 Like

yeah blizzard should definitely be striving to have as high of participation as possible. weve seen that happen with retail for years now, where theres no reason to keep playing because of how titles get handed out now. people play at the start of the season for a month or so, then participation drops off hard.

that would happen with the old system too though. getting farmed by the top team is more of a matchup issue than anything else. maybe i missed the point with what you mean by that idk.

“All PvP gear will have consistent personal rating requirements to purchase and equip.”

Yep there go my plans on doing any PVP tbh…

Nobody wants to grind out rating and then spend every day maintaining their rating just to be able to wear the gear they earned. How stupid are Blizzard devs lol.

Like imagine grinding out Rank 14 in Classic, but having to maintain the rank forever to be able to keep using the weapons lol.

As far as I know this is a change they are adding to Shadowlands, so I have no idea what world they live in where they think it belongs in TBC. Nobody even wants it in Shadowlands in the first place.

8 Likes

Anyone here defending this system thinks that they will still be able to get all the PVP gear.

What are the odds that 3 months from now when these same people are hard stuck 1800 will continue defending this system?

9 Likes

Just be happy you are getting the High Warlord level 70 blue weapons and General/Warlord blue gear.

The most satisfying thing about these changes will be when people who were over 2200 with 70% arena participation drop to 1800 when it’s only the top 5% participating.

5 Likes

yes, but with higher inflation it makes that gear MUCH easier to get. look at retail for example. getting glad in the first two weeks of the season is MUCH more difficult then it is at the end of the season. thats because at the start, 2400 is basically the top of the ladder. but at the end 2400 is literally 1000 rating below the top of the ladder in some cases. inflation devalues rewards if it gets too out of hand, and thats what im worried about.

It matters even more because it requires an actual high rating rather than just time to get the currency.

The difference in stats on pieces is far, far more than 1% between individual pieces, much less overall. And if you mean resilience %, yes, 1% alone can definitely make a difference.

I would definitely think vanilla being as old as it was means the Scarab Lords, R14, and TF/Atiesh prestige was much lesser in Classic.

Lol this is a horrible change. I’m not sure who benefits from this. Why is Activision like this?

12 Likes

It’s seriously bad from a money standpoint, too. This is going to dumpster overall arena participation, and lack of participation means cancelled subs.

12 Likes