Are We Fine With the Idea of Legacy Flying Being Removed in Future Content?

You aren’t even capable of constructing proper sentences, ffs. What makes you think you’re the ultimate authority here?

ProLifeTip: Stop acting like your opinion on the subject is the only one that matters and imposing your will on the rest of us.

You love derped dragons (we get it), but not everyone does for various reasons. Everyone should be able to choose the option best for them, full stop.

2 Likes

Highly unlikely OP. Too many mounts aren’t even living things, such as my Turbo-charged Flying Machine. How would they adapt that to Dragonriding? If they tried doing something like this, I would be done with WoW.

1 Like

Where on earth do people get this idea? This would seriously hamper mount creativity going forward.

How do I “dragonride” a flying book?

1 Like

Maybe the flying book is a book about dragons?

I don’t know, man. It’s a fantasy game. Use your imagination!

Only if the let the dragon actually ascend. Perhaps at slow flying speed while momentum would be gained while descending. And I do miss hovering.

I would like to be able to use my old mounts in this way. I need my nether dragon skin for dragon flying

Something I think most people miss when talking about this is what this change has done for bots. I haven’t seen someone botting around farming minerals/plants at all this xpack. It’s hard enough for a human to farm, let alone a bot program. Between this and the random effects different nodes give off I think it will do a large amount to limit botting within the game. I would love to see it become the main form of flying with old flying only being available behind lengthy quests/achievements or late into a xpack. Although I would prefer of it were the only form of flying all together going forward.

Not exactly. I’d be happy to accept it if they put in a flap mechanic that allowed you to fly indefinitely; unless that’s the endpoint of learning dragonriding, that you can fly indefinitely and not simply glide downhill to a set point? If not, then no, what dragon riding is now for me is not a sufficient replacement.

All my flying mounts able to fly everywhere by simply requiring me to be at the keyboard flapping. That is a reasonable compromise. Do we include a flap mechanic for mounts that either shouldn’t be able to fly (magic horses, carpets, etcetera) or that should be able to hover? (copters, etc) I don’t know. Seems silly.

…and yet the ability to precisely go where you want or to go AFK while in flight is the part of flying that does break the game from a designer’s perspective. You shouldn’t be able to pause in midair or fly indefinitely without having to worry about simply crashing into the ground, much less not be harassed by ranged attacks from NPCs that should know damn well you are overhead.

Dragonriding is the start of a realistic compromise. It’s not done yet, from a player’s perspective. Any attempt to remove content that we have paid for for years (AKA, the purchased mounts we were told could fly in game when we bought them) would be a breach of contract and would leave Blizzard liable for damages.

How those mounts fly is a grey area. A matter that is open for negotiation. That they must fly in current content, is not. It’s a good start Warcraft devs. Keep at it. Maybe you’ll get there eventually.

(I’ve been writing on the subject of flying in WoW for quite some time now:
https://ranthonyings.com/2015/08/noflynobuy-are-you-listening-warcraftdevs/)

No it’s not.
Regular flying isn’t going away.
Imo Dragon riding is just for this expansion and I believe it’s going away for the next.

1 Like

Thats a real wild statement there lol. You are just buying the expansion and purchasing a subscription to be allowed to play the game. Ridiculous example but if 1 hour from now Blizzard made an announcement that WOW is shut down tomorrow, there is nothing to be done about it. All you get to do is deal with it. No “liability for damages” lol.

A recent example is Overwatch 1. That game is gone. Completely replaced. Along with an entire game mode taken out. As an example, with your argument because I purchased OW1 specifically to play 2CP, the fact that they took away that game and fully replaced it without that game mode, means they are liable to some form of damages. They’re not and they can do whatever they like with their property.

Hell no! HELL %&%$#@( NO! If they removed normal flying, or if they hold out on implementing it for almost a year again, even in DF, I would definitely take my money elsewhere. Given that were ae already flying, normal flying should be implemented a lot sooner than it has been in the past few expacs. Dragon riding is great for going from point A to point B, but for gathering, no thanks.

Semper Fi! :us: :ukraine:

But your monitor doesn’t move how are you motion sick? Oh you’re level 68 so you’re trolling got it

1 Like

I’d only be okay with having people decide what flying they want, mostly for medical issues.

I am already kind of tired of DR.

It is great for traversing the map (not super common) or moving between WQs also semi-common.

If you want “precision” though, DR is just a pain. I find myself in this camp more often than not.

1 Like

I’d personally be fine with making dragon riding the main method of flight but n the entire game but only if the following was implemented,

1. Add a toggle to have legacy flying be a CHOICE , but the default would be DR. Why? You can’t and should not alienate people with motion sickness issues.

2. DR needs a hover ability

3. ALL flying mounts in our collection use DR

do that and I’m happy with flying in the entire game

2 Likes

“They’re not and they can do whatever they like with their property.”

Uh, no. They certainly could stop running servers, close the doors and go home. Sure. We’d all get our refunds for time already paid for (eventually) but they could certainly stop running their business and we couldn’t say “I can’t fly in this game that no longer functions.” Sure. You got me.

However, if they did that then the game code becomes abandonware and someone else can take up the mantle. Just like Nostalrius did with classic WoW. You think Blizzard spent the time and money to bring the classic game back for nothing? I don’t think you understand how the legal system works. How IP law works.

If they want to stay in business with the player base they have now, then they have to jump through specific hoops that Blizzard’s legal team can get you up to speed on if you ask them about it. Do you honestly think that we’d have dragonriding now if the full scale revolt of the player base hadn’t manifested during WoD?

What’s going on between Blizzard and the players of their games is an ongoing contractual negotiation. Plain and simple. The game I was sold, from Burning Crusade onward, included flight. Blizzard conceded this negotiation point when they put flying into WoD after staring they would never do that. So there will be flying in World of Warcraft. The only question remaining on that subject is, “what kind of flying?”

This schoolboy crap about kicking over the board and going home is old now. Nostalrius called that bluff and Blizzard blinked. There are entire services set up to make money off of old games that have been abandoned by their owners. This is about the money, the continuing subscription fees that Blizzard lives and dies by. They’ll do whatever they have to to keep those sweet, sweet fees coming in. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

So let’s just cut to the chase and agree that general flight will be in any game carrying the World of Warcraft name going forward from here. Because that’s the game we bought and they want us to keep buying it.

Kiddo, I don’t think you should criticize anyone on making mistakes, after what you just posted.

I don’t really need your tips, I am speaking for myself, and many other players who feel the same. If you don’t that is fine. You need to learn your place a little before you help me.

Sure of course flying will always be in the game. They have no good reason to delete it, and I’m sure they won’t. I expect dragonriding to stay as well. I adore it and everything about it. Also to get off topic a bit, I want to make something clear most people are mistaken on. Once you go get your glyphs, (which is dead easy and takes like 30mins maybe with a guide). You can very easily fly non-stop from the lowest point on the map to anywhere else regardless of elevation. It isn’t great though without them.

But this whole bit about them not being allowed to remove flight is a bit misunderstood maybe. They absolutely could take it out and you would be laughed out of court if you think sueing them for damages would work. It is their property and they can do what they please with it as long as they can stomach potential backlash in the form of bad pr, lost subs, and I guess issuing refunds for the offending expansion. They would be damaged in their income and reputation absolutely, but that content isn’t yours in the end.

I’m okay with it, but i understand that others can prefer the other/slower flight. it doesn’t really affect my game.

Has there been actual mention of old world flying being removed or is this more of a theory crafting type of thread?

1 Like

Theorycrafting, even though they have already stated normal flying will remain and be added in at a later date.

3 Likes