Are We Fine With the Idea of Legacy Flying Being Removed in Future Content?

This is not a post complaining about dragonriding or whether to remove it. This is about what Blizz is doing with flying and what we want in the future.

Dragonriding is Blizzard’s compromise to remove legacy flying moving forward. Consider these points:

• Blizz regretted putting flying in the game and has since restricted it in certain areas and made it harder to obtain in others. Players hated this, so a compromise, such as dragonriding, allows a new approach to eliminate it.

• Regardless of how fun and exciting you may find dragonriding, legacy flying is the better form for certain things. Anything that involves hovering or quickly and accurately moving from one relatively close point to another. These things make it easier to survey an area, gather nodes, or move out of combat to go afk. These are the things Blizz wants to take from us.

• Dragonriding is flying restricted behind a spend mechanic (vigor) and the ability to hover removed. Knowing players would hate a downgrade, they gave dragonriding a very high top speed. The compromise.

Dragonriding and legacy flying provide different useful benefits, but the question is do we want Blizz to remove legacy flying moving forward or do we want to push for both features in the future?

43 Likes

I would permanently quit if they did that. I can’t use dragon riding due to motion sickness.

125 Likes

Hell no, they tried this crap in WoD and it went over like a lead balloon.

80 Likes

yes.

this Dflying is a better replacement.

73 Likes

Only if they dragonridingify all the old flying mounts.

57 Likes

Said it in another thread, but that would be my last straw. I’d quit.

63 Likes

iu really like dragon riding so yea id be down with it if its being replaced with dragon riding

19 Likes

Why do people keep making stuff like this up… First it was Pathfinder and now Dragonriding. Dragonriding essentially makes your other flying mounts obsolete, there is no way Blizzard will implement this system with legacy flying mounts. Regular flying is NOT going anywhere…

35 Likes

Only if they implement different styles of flying… Like machine flying. Something you can hover in the air with and have better control over speed during a shorter trip.

11 Likes

They should just have both, as removing QoL systems never feels good.

Though every zone after this expac should be designed for DR IMO and maybe redesign Kalimdor and EKs for it as well. It feels like it forced the team to actually think about the environment and map layout for once.

29 Likes

dragon flying is a means to an end. its alright but ill prefer regular flying. thats what ill be using when they unlock it in DF

32 Likes

no. i love dragon riding but old flying needs to remain an option for people

49 Likes

No, definitely not. I want both systems available going forward. As time goes on and the honeymoon phase with dragonriding ends, more people will miss legacy flying, especially when more and more people try to gather with dragonriding and see how annoying it gets.

Not to say dragonriding will get less popular, it’s a great feature, but it’s not the best at everything.

40 Likes

yes. its time to modernize wow with dragon riding.

17 Likes

The only thing traditional flying was good for was to alt-tab out of the game or go afk. There’s nothing else besides that which dragonriding can not achieve.

It’s about time this game was designed for people who actually want to play and enjoy the game.

42 Likes

so keep flying dragon flying. others will fly their own way how they like.

21 Likes

Go ahead and handicap yourself then while I fly around at 800%+ movement speed and can mine/herb without dismounting.

7 Likes

I’d rather go slower than have motion sickness and I imagine everyone else who struggled with DR for the same reason would say the same.

18 Likes

jokes on you i dont mine herb or do content that requires me to go go go.

7 Likes

I don’t really see an issue with keeping both.

People who want to go fast/find it fun can use Dragonriding

People who dont mind being slow or get sick can use old flying.

Once fully upgraded Dragonriding is faster and just as versatile as normal flying unless you’re going straight up (something zone design rarely gives you a reason to do) or AFKing midair, so who cares if they enable legacy flying in the Isles?

25 Likes