Are We Fine With the Idea of Legacy Flying Being Removed in Future Content?

It’s true. DR would be for long-distance speedy travel, old flying for everything else.

The basic disagreement with Blizzard is that they don’t like the functionality that old flying gives players in new/relevant content (they don’t care about legacy content). The stuff mentioned in the OP – the ability to infini-hover, the much easier ability to survey an area, surgically attack only one mob or quest target, or node, or what have you. All of that is pretty hard to do with DR. You can go up and down and so on, but it’s really hard to be as surgical about what you are doing given the turning radius and so on, and it’s also really hard to survey an area as easily as you can with an infinite hover like the old flying has – certainly it can’t be done nearly as easily as it can be with an infinihover helicopter mount, as we all know very well.

This is the core disagreement with Blizz. They don’t want us having the “easy mode” that old flying gives us for new content, whereas, for many players, it’s that “easy mode” that is precisely why old flying is liked so much – it makes world content, which many players find tedious to begin with, less painful by making it quicker, more surgical and efficient. From Blizz’s perspective, it’s too fast and efficient for new content, and that led to the rejoinder from the players that “world quests aren’t content” and “world content doesn’t count as content at level cap” and things like that. Blizzard obviously never agreed with the players about that, hence pathfinder.

So it’s an impasse.

I do think we will get regular old flying in DF, but I think it will come when regular old flying has come over the past several expacs – later in the patch cycle, once Blizzard cares less about the impact on efficiency in the world content, because that content is then no longer new and is becoming legacy content.

2 Likes

Push for both some folks aren’t able to dragonfly due to motion sickness and such but as for me it’s like all those mounts I’ve worked and earned in the past only to be grounded uh yeah hell no and also being a druid with flight form if that is taken then goodbye wow.

Speaking honestly.

If they introduce no new Flying Mounts and only focused on making Dragonriding Mounts (probably with a more universal name) I wouldn’t be upset. They’d have to either change the talent tree to be more universal or just scrap it entirely and turn the Glyphs into the keys to unlock it or something but I’d think it’d be great.

But having the two together would be for the best. That way if people only want to hover in the air and afk fly they can do that, and if people want more physics based flying they can do that too. They’d just have to make sure all future flying mounts can do both.

They have important things to do when it comes to legacy features. More slot options for transmog and especially letting a team working on legacy transmog items, redesigning them.

Absolutely not. Just flush away people’s mount collections? Big nope.

Not to mention, Old content wasn’t built for Dragonriding in mind.

Removed? No.
Should they carry Dragonriding forward? Yes.

You, and everyone else does, even if they don’t want to admit it: Hovering. Our mounts shouldn’t be helicopters, because it does ruin the gaming experience for people who are actively working on a goal on the ground.

This isn’t to say that the players on the ground don’t have access to hovering as well. It means, naturally, that the vast majority of treasure, quest items and rares are on the ground.

In order for anyone to get to them, they usually have a puzzle or mobs to work through. The players on the ground do all the work, and the people hovering nearby simply wait on their lazy tushes, swoop in, grab the goods and bounce.

Or worse, they’ll aggro mobs that can’t move as fast as they can on their mounts, grab their target, and VTOL off, leaving any nearby ground players to deal with a train of mobs, and likely empty handed if it was a treasure.

We all know this. Yet, WoW players seem to come up with the most detailed excuses and scenarios when they want to beat around the bush on things for things they want. And some of them swear they don’t know how to roleplay :rofl:

1 Like

Or just have it be a toggle? Like if you go to pick a mount, there will be an extra checkbox called “enchaned flying mode”. Turn it on, it’s DR. Click it off, it’s normal flying.

1 Like

regular flying should have never been added.

Okay, would you rather had TBC to not elevate itself from Vanilla then? I mean it’s one of the big features is it not? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :palm_up_hand:

I’m certain there’s a reason why they added flying as soon the first expansion pack, because i would imagine people wanted something like this for a while back in 2007.

I’d say keep keep the dragonriding model but apply it to ALL mounts. It opens up more options- in my opinion- for Blizzard to come up with special abilities for mounts.

1 Like

I love Dragon riding and would love for it to be available everywhere. However I think old flying should be an option for those who want it.

2 Likes

Herbing and mining, you fly far too quickly to even see the nodes let alone try and land next to them to do it lol, there is not a hope in hell you can convince me DR is better for farming.

1 Like

Personally, I am, so long as I can pick my mounts.

one more time…

1 Like

I have herbalism and I don’t have this issue?

I also get to pick herbs while riding the DR mount and not have to dismount. People who mine can do the same as well.

I’m not fine with flying being removed I have mounts collected over the years and wish to remain using them. If they do remove it and show flying mounts in shop it’s a very bad feeling.

1 Like

I don’t want old flying added back. I want all flying mounts to be changed to this system.

If you add both, I would be required to used both. One for getting around, the other for direct control. Blizzard picture how stupid it would be for players to be mounting up like that. Zooming around, landing mounting on the other one. Please don’t do it. I’m ok being limited without hovering. If you add old flying, that is pretty much forcing me to use it. It is that overpowered.

1 Like

I’m fine with legacy flying being removed, yes. Providing Dragonriding is there from the start of every future expansion and is added to all previous expansions.

I’m also fine with legacy flying just being a thing in old zones if editing all the skyboxes is too hard.

1 Like