Are We Fine With the Idea of Legacy Flying Being Removed in Future Content?

The old mounts are still useful in instanced content since you can’t use dragons in dungeons except Nokhud Offensive.

I see what you’re saying and agree it has the benefit of the extra speed. However, the distance you’re traveling and the terrain all effect the situation. Inside a zone it can be very convenient, but crossing multiple zones really isn’t a thing. (*) Also the inconvenience comes into play in needing a higher point off the ground to be starting from (you can’t start from the bottom of a valley and get very far without needing to recharge) and also you have to be 100% paying attention to the controls (versus setting a course then turning to talk to a family member or quick tabbing out to google something). Many has been the time I’ve set myself to fly a direction then gone to grab my tea from the kitchen – a definite not happening with Dragonriding.

(*) The reason I asterisk this remark is because the Dragon Isles are VERY CLEVERLY designed to quietly provide exactly what Dragonflying needs to work without being obvious. If right this moment you were able to take Dragonflying to Azeroth, you would definitely find a lot more problems with it in terrain/zones not designed to support it.

So in this case, yes and no. Speed is not everything. I also think you and I are imagining different things for “distance travel”. When I say it, I mean like Ironforge to Booty Bay – the kinds of distances I used to jokingly call “AFK Airlines”. (Since if you took a pay taxi to get there, your character would register as AFK before you landed. :slight_smile: ) Not from the top of Stormwind keep over to Redridge.

1 Like

No, they did not regret it, the person who wanted to remove flying hadn’t even started working for WoW when flying was introduced.

Not to mention the fact that their customers like flying, so it should not matter what the devs like or dislike. Their job is to keep people playing the game.

4 Likes

No, but this will likely be the last expansion I buy. I didn’t really do anything in Shadowlands I barely logged on most months. While I’m having a lot of fun with Dragonriding, I’m just not enjoying the expansion as much as I’d hoped. I will level and try things for a while maybe it will get better when I reach the second zone.

Yeah I’m really enjoying dragonriding.

Do you have any solid proof, such as the devs or a blue flatout saying “We’re considering removing old flying and replacing it with Dragonflying.” or are you just dooming and glooming to stir the pot? I’m legit asking for a source because I’ve seen this said multiple times now and no one that has said it has given any source.

2 Likes

Blizzard stated that dragon flying was not put in the game to remove regular flying.
If you have evidence of them stating otherwise please post your link.

1 Like

Your enjoyment should not be forced on others.

3 Likes

Dragonriding has nothing to do with flying, at all. It’s not a compromise of anything, or a sign of Blizzard “regretting flying” (They don’t. It’s been a mainstay feature since the first xpac in a game that has made them untold millions of $$). It’s a new feature meant to be fun that facilitates open-world content for casuals in an expansion where they’ve emphasized open-world content for casuals.

Obviously, the two “both fly” and you can’t do both at the same time so in that sense they compete with one another. So, they might hold off on adding regular flying longer than they normally do (you never have flying at the beginning of an xpac anyway) so as to not diminish one of their newer features. Flying is in the game to stay. They are not going to take away flying. Despite all the bliz-bashing, they have run the most successful mmorpg (by far) for the better part of 2 decades. They aren’t some halfwits that are going to remove flying.

Dragonriding will stick around too if players love it enough.

If dragonriding stays, they will probably have to figure out a way to incentivize one over the other for certain things. But i’d hold your horses with the conspiracy stuff about blizzard regretting flying.

The fact that a few zones have not had flying does not mean blizzard regret flying. It just means they wanted to make a zone that they didn’t have to/couldn’t work on three dimensionally, for whatever reason.

2 Likes

WM or not, the world is dangerous again. I went afk for something the other day and an elite dragon come and killed me. All i was saying is dragonriding to me makes me feel part of the world where as flying made the world not matter at all.

Absolutely not. Dragonriding is no replacement for TBC Flight.

5 Likes

Sorry to say bud but, Blizzard has confirmed that you will only be able to “fly” in the Dragon Isles using the new Dragonriding system at the start of the expansion. Your broader mount collection will act only as ground mounts in the new zones.

Blizzard has literally already confirmed that old school flying is returning in Dragonflight in a later patch. It’s not going away for good. Not in this expansion, and not in any future expansions either.

It may not even go beyond Dragonflight zones, it depends entirely on how its received by the bulk of the playerbase. If they really love it (and indications so far lean towards that being the case) then Blizzard will likely bring it outside of the Dragon Isles and make some of our existing flying mounts able to be used with Dragonriding. However if they don’t, it stays in the Dragon Isles and it’s old school flying for future expansions.

2 Likes

This is the “i have a gluten allergy” post

Make it an option, easy fix.

To have Dragonriding in future expacs though.

• You need to have played the expansion.
  • Need to pay some gold to choose at the Flight Master what kind of flying you want to pick.

I went to Orgrimmar for the first time since the expac hit today and when I mounted up I was like “Oh right. The slow flying.”

There’s room for both, just have both.

I want to use DR in the Easter Kingdoms and Kalimdor so badly. Being the largest continents in the game, I think it’d be fun just to see what it’s like. Or even leveling up an alt with access to DR in the old world - that’d be great.

The only real downside to Dragonriding is that it’s relegated to a very select few goofy-looking mounts. Give me access to my full roster and set me loose in the skies of Azeroth.

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t mind it. Flying this way feels… satisfying in some way that the old method doesn’t… not to mention the sheer speed which you can gain.

If they do decide to implement this mechanic on older content they could simply make it more forgiving to traverse old zones…
(I.E. unlimited charges of ascent … adding a hover so that we can still afk safely in the air cause our cats just spilled soda all over the pc desk… stuff like that)

1 Like

It needs to be one or the other.

If they add legacy flying. Players would just use one mount to get around, the other mount to direct fly once they got to the area.

Does Blizzard really think it is a good idea for players to switch mounts like that?