Are Void Elves really High Elves?

No True Scotsman!

That is a fallacy.

2 Likes

Yea. Blood Elves are High Elves, just with a changed name. Same race. Only tainted is all. And they should have been in the Alliance.

They no longer make pilgrimage to the well. Void Elves have taken a different path by embracing the Void :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I know but somehow Blood Elves aren’t following traditions :grin:

1 Like

You have not proven anything but that you need to bring RL-politics into a video game discussion when you’re out of options. You made me admit nothing. In fact, you made me stop caring for this discussion.

2 Likes

A high elf, a blood elf and a void elf walk into a restaurant.

The waiter asks, “Table for one sir?”

3 Likes

Claim: Blood Elves are just renamed High Elves.

Claim: Blood Elves still retain the culture, history, and lands of the High Elves, making them still the High Elves.

Claim: Sundancer is a Hi-Res version of the “Quel’dorei” mount.

Claim: Blood Elves retain the “High Elf” Race fantasy of being noble arcane lithe pale blonde eyed pointy eared people who have some association with the natural world. (I like how they included the Sun Elves of that dragon show)

Claim: Blood Elves are still the kingdom of Quel’Thalas and those elves who do not align with them are no longer a part of the Quel’Thalas people, making them exiles, beggars, or not High Elven any longer.

Claim: The real race name is Thalassian, because it is the name given to themselves in their own language.

Need I keep going?

As to the RL politics, because your claim was ludicrous and was easily demonstratable with it.

Your only counter claim: Nah uh, but they aren’t Alliance!

My argument to your claim: That’s not even the Alliance they were a part of in the RTS WC games which abandoned them leading to the loss of 90% of their people, imprisoned their King, and treats them with distrust.

4 Likes

High Elves are two things:

1. They are part of the old elven society that consisted of Night Elves before they were called Night Elves and were among Azshara’s followers. In other words, Night Elves are High Elves.
  2. Another (and more commonly intended) version of High Elves were the elves of Quel’thalas before the fall of that region due to Arthas. However, High Elves in particular are the Alliance-aligned Quel’thalas elves that had a stronger connection to magic (mages) than their connection to the Sunwell. This last bit is more of a practical interpretation as to how and why High Elves never reconnected with the Sunwell after it was purified and restored, as Blood Elves were reconnected to it once more.

Let me make this abundantly clear:
In terms of WoW and what folks are asking for whenever they say “give us High Elves” … there are literally no High Elves that the community will ever accept as High Elves, for not even High Elves themselves would be enough. Why? Because we already have them. Night Elf mages are high elves, and so are Blood Elves in all practical measures. What folks are asking for is a second set of humans with pointy ears and that’s literally it. There’s nothing about High Elves that Void Elves doesn’t deliver on and more.

Folks are asking for customization options and have spent at this point years going “but they aren’t the customization options we reaaaaaaaaaaally wanted”. Just the same way that if you want to play a Wildhammer Dwarf, you pick Dwarf and you add Wildhammer tattoos, you now have a Wildhammer Dwarf. Void Elves are High Elves as long as you nab blonde hair, skip the void’n’tentacle features, and voíla - High Elf.

See my response above.
You don’t even know what a High Elf is, as the vast majority of people who say “give us High Elves” has no clue what that means.

1 Like

And I’ll show you how you have not rebutted anything I have said because this is a false statment.

The text reflects: “The sun-dappled courser gallops on lightbeams with carefree abandon.” - WoW Mount Sundancer.

I just didn’t want to put you in a position that either you made a false claim (undercutting anything else you presented), lie (then there is nothing fruitful with you), or purposefully be obtuse (not being genuine or just being biased).

Does it come from Shadowlands? Sure, doesn’t mean it does canon wise.

2 Likes

High Elves are already playable in WoW and they’re called Blood Elves. There is no racial difference whatsoever between a High Elf and a Blood Elf, and the terms are ENTIRELY political, rather than indicative of race. Void Elves are just “void-forged” Blood/High Elves.

The only elves who might still call themselves “High Elves” are racially identical to Blood Elves, but politically loyal to the racially heterogeneous human kingdom of Dalaran, rather than the racially homogeneous elf kingdom of Quel’Thalas.

Oh? :thinking: Then why can’t Horde play Human then? :grimacing: Oooh that’s right …
Because by fantasy standards they’re a different race.

That’s quite literally why they’re in a different ‘race’ category in WoW. lol
If you want to argue upon that further, then perhaps you should do so to Blizzard instead & tell them how they’re wrong.

To elaborate though:

In various fantasy games, along with WoW the term ‘race’ often refers to categorisation of ‘people’ along with newborn lineages through magic, evolution or other means.

At best you could say those that came from the same roots are the same species — but not the same race. Otherwise you could argue that Tolkien’s orcs & elves are the same race & should hold no severance in their name or titles, since the first generations of orcs were made of corrupted elves.

1 Like

Female humans (thanks to the Dracythr) in the Horde are thing, though :dracthyr_shrug:
Arathi humans probably, too in the next expansion. They should just make all races neutral at this point. All those copy&paste races look ridiculous.^^

Doesn’t matter. All elves need to go disappear in the void.

They got horns & scales, they’re defs not human. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
However races sharing models & skeletons in their designs isn’t uncommon.

1 Like

Jump ship. The moment you’re compared to an old dictator who shall not be named is the moment you’ve won the debate. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

At least, there are Dark Iron Dwarves. :dracthyr_yay_animated:

Yeah, Dark Irons are an absolute win - though they just highlight the weirdness of the Wildhammers being bundled in with Bronzebeard dwarves.

You can make them look exactly like a human without horns.^^

No offense, but Ion isn’t the Lore guy. He’s also said Zandalari dinomancers wouldn’t make sense by lore, about a week before Zandalari druid Dino forms were datamined. He also said Blood Elves would never get blue eyes because they had, ‘evolved past that,’ and then the Blood Elves got blue eyes.

He’s an amazing raid designer, but when it comes to Lore, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Indeed, but you’re forgetting the most recent lore we have on the matter is a passage in Before the Storm, saying they’re so virtually non-existent that Kalecgos’ visage form is completely useless for trying to be inconspicuous.

Again, Half-Elves is a direction Blizzard could take. They’d only have to retcon their own lore in the process, but that’s nothing new for them. However, as of right now, the lore makes it clear there are hardly any.

1 Like

Nah, High Elves don’t drink blood.

1 Like