Are people really impersonating others on the forums?

You can actively select an avatar you don’t mind “exposing”. It’s no different than now where I can add whatever character you are posting on.

This is not true because you can’t simply add someone’s battletag and track them. It needs to be mutual. They need to accept the request to even see if you are online or what game you are playing. Unlike right now, someone can silently add you without you even knowing and even contact you in game. That cannot happen with battletags.

This was already discussed in detail.

Convert Forum to BattleTag - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

4 Likes

I find it funny that they would even do an IP ban or MAC address ban when either of those things can be spoofed.

I’m the dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude.

4 Likes

It is an entirely different game when trying to spoof hardware bans. IP bans is just the first step and a big warning.

Hardware ID bans means you pretty much need a completely new computer.

1 Like

I know both can be spoofed, but it sends a message and slows some folks down. Those who are really determined won’t be stopped by it though…and if it gets bad enough they do resort to lawyers.

1 Like

Pettiness, spite, simple joy at the suffering of others.

That requires effort. It’s much easier to get caught up in the drama and once that happens people generally don’t want to back down and admit they were wrong. It’s why malicious rumours are so damaging and hard to get rid of.

1 Like

If that really is true for some go get help and stay away from ppl. disgusting.

The type of people that delight in other’s suffering aren’t the type to seek help. They don’t see it as a problem, not for themselves at least and they don’t care about anyone else.

1 Like

I’ve heard it happens, and then I saw Elvis the other day. Sick bun of a sitch taking a deceased rock star’s name. People these days.

Well, I hate to bring the bad news but they’ve spotted doing the same old schtick like… a day or two ago. So they’re around.

I mean if that’s your answer to solving the problem maybe people just shouldn’t ask for your opinion on how to solve problems. :stuck_out_tongue: Misanthropy is a disease of the mind, friend. It’s caustic to your personal relationships and your health. Don’t let it consume you.

1 Like

All this for saying Blizz might do nothing because the players feed the trolls?

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

People really are ridiculous. But it is the appeal of GD.

Good day to you, doctor. :rofl:

Oh I’m aware… I’ve been a nerd since before being one was fashionable. You both make a good point though in that Blizzard is using it to make a point. That would make sense.

1 Like

Someone I know decided to cheat in Rust and got HWID banned while living in NY. Tried replacing his hard drive, ram, and reinstalling the operating system which didn’t work. Moved to TX and a completely different computer, but logged into the banned account on steam by accident and got that system HWID banned immediately too.

1 Like

There is a difference between 1 person posting on 1 character trolling and someone using a name with several toons impersonating others that implies stuff with children.

That’s a massive difference.

5 Likes

Then that is just sad.

1 Like

Yeah, but to point out their whole argument of ‘bnet is better’ when it will force you to select a ‘posting character’ anyways. So now your char name would be out there ALONG with your bnet.

It is true, if you know the correct websites to use actually. It does not need to be mutual to get peoples character names if you have their bnet.

To see it in real time, perhaps. There is a bit of a delay on the other websites that track game activity.

Only your character, not your bnet.

???

Woops.

Yes, but people that don’t know very much about how btags work and are not aware there are websites that can track via bnet.

But, the community council/MVP doesn’t know that, apparently.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:
I mean you were kinda shouting your contempt and disdain for others from the rooftops in your posts, buddy. I don’t know if I deserve a doctorate just for listening to what you say and realizing you seem to categorically oppose solutions in favor of just letting people suffer the wrath of the almighty forum trolls.

1 Like

Of course it is. But instead, unless the one troll is banned, they will continue the troll rampage and all of us will be making a circus, bringing the thread to 300 replies each.

But then again, neither the btag added option or the trolls is such a big deal as to enter a long debate over something so trivial with so little importance (at least to me), so I stand to my original post:

I’d not care if they add battletags, but the main reason so many trolls exist is because all of us, even those that complain about then, can’t help themselves to go in the mud and jump in it.

The issue is when you have a troll that if we don’t respond in the thread, they respond with their alts constantly bumping the threads. That happens too.

This is something that should have been looked into a long time ago. Blaming us because we flag the posts, point out, “this person is trolling” then everything gets us nowhere.

People are gonna respond. If we report things, however, should be looked at and fixed.

But that goes back into what I said before. I submitted my ticket and we’ll go from there. All we can do. I do NOT my character’s name associated in anyway shape or form with anything that the person was trying to do.

1 Like

You can be blamed, because in reality you’re both adding to it (and violating the Forum CoC too) either via ‘trolling’ yourselves, or posting ‘off-topic, spam, derailing the thread’.

Which, gets the thread eventually locked, 404’d, and able to be re-posted so anyone that hid the thread now has to look at the new thread.