Are all casual solo players supposed to quit on

Honestly, the persecution complex some “casuals” have.

1 Like

The same thing I do every patch, Kimshi. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

1 Like

Well the first question I guess is what do you want from the game? Do you want to do higher level content or are you happy doing what you are doing?
If you are wanting to do higher content then you do your research and improve so you arnt a “bad player” and get some logs. Also you play with pugs and if things go well you add them. Thats where almost all of my btag came from.

As far as groups not taking you you can always make your own group sit in lfg for a while and only take big players. that makes it easier too.

Thats what worked for me anyway.

1 Like

Sounds like there’s quite a bit to do in small play sessions. Game’s not really designed to keep you invested for long unless you like instanced group content or leveling alts.

1 Like

Well the way I see it you have three options. The first is get better so that you can more actively engage in endgame content. You don’t have to become a Mythic raider or Keystone master, but being confidant enough that you can participate in common endgame activities even at low level would open a lot of doors for you. Contrary to popular belief, raids and M+ aren’t just for elitists. They have multiple difficulty options for a reason. You don’t need amazing logs or gear to queue for a Normal raid. If the difficulty you’re comfortable playing at is lower than someone else’s that’s fine, but once you start getting your feet wet you might be surprised at what you can accomplish.

The second option is to find friends. Frankly if it weren’t for my guild I would have quit this game a long time ago. WoW is a social event for me so hanging out with my guildies and just chatting with them on Discord is a large part of what I find fun in this game. The other advantage of finding yourself a community to belong to is that they tend to help you out with that whole “becoming a better player” thing. Guilds who are willing to help you out and take you into content to guide you through it are a great way to start improving your fundamentals. Plus having a guild with members who work with you and teach you how to improve yourself through mentoring or sharing resources is a lot easier than trying to do that on your own. Improvement in any skill, WoW included, is a skill in and of itself and it’s not merely a question of how much effort you pour into it. Having a group to show you how it’s done and act as your support structure makes it a lot easier. If you do go this route, I recommend being extremely picky about the guild you join. Bad guilds are a dime a dozen. Find a healthy guild that you like the atmosphere of and has values similar to what you’re looking to get out of the game.

The last option is to do what Thallia does and engage more with the solo content that is available. Open world content is a fine way to spend your time in the game and if you have fun progressing through that chain then that’s a fine way to do it. I don’t think they should get rid of that progression structure. Beyond that though, there is actually a lot of non-combat content in this game for a solo player to pursue. My guildmaster certainly manages to find a lot of ways to occupy her time collecting pets and mounts and accomplishing whatever else the game has to offer that isn’t straightforward combat. I’ll confess this area of the game is not my forte so I’m not a great person to ask about it but I do know that there’s a lot more exploratory content in this game than most people give it credit for.

If none of those options appeal to you… then I’ll be honest at that point I would say that you simply don’t like the game that WoW is and you might want to consider finding a different game to play that is closer to what you want to get out of your leisure time.

Hope that answer was helpful.

1 Like

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EmbellishedInsidiousBullmastiff-size_restricted.gif

As long as they’re the entitled casual solo player who fills the forum with complaints about needing high level gear for unchallenging, low level play and vault choices for doing nothing in the game … if those ones quit then i say HUZZAH!

For the chill ones just doing their easy content and not bothering anyone … please stay. I like coming across you struggling with an ad pack or elite you pulled and helping you as I’m passing by.

I think my point is that the players that clear heroic quickly (first 1-3 weeks) are players that belong in mythic. They aren’t really the target audience of heroic, they are just there to see the fights and grab some gear.

And that’s a really small number of players.

No, there’s a reasonable chunk of people that enjoy knocking out heroic asap when it’s still hard then just chilling. Very few actually progress into mythic, and that’s fine.

I mean, just browsing WoW progress virtually every single guild that cleared heroic in the 1st week has gotten CE.

This is starting to sound like it’s more a perception problem than a game problem. The only one who can determine if you matter in the game is yourself. If you feel pointless not running the top-end of content then the only two options are to find a different way for the game to matter or to put effort into being able to get to that summit.

Every single one of those players riding a death elemental once sucked at WoW. Getting good enough to run high keys doesn’t happen by accident. You need to make it a goal to improve, find the resources that allow you to do that, and then start putting effort into climbing that ladder one step at a time. The first rung of that ladder is a Mythic 0.

This is one of the reasons why I think finding a good guild is important. We have a couple members in our guild who never even dreamed of pursuing “real” content when they first joined us. One of them is a senior citizen who for years just played the game to explore the world and never even gave raiding a thought. A few months ago she was in our raid team when our guild got AOTC on Sylvanas. And not as a carry, she’s actually one of our most consistent members for surviving mechanics. She’s not the heaviest damage dealer in the group but she does well enough to raid Heroic.

I firmly believe that anyone can raid. I’ve seen confidant raiders emerge from even the most casual players with the right kind of mentoring and support. The first place I would actually recommend going is the Hunter Discord channel. Every WoW class has a community Discord channel for players to pool resources and talk amongst each other about the class. You don’t even have to talk initially, just explore the Discord and make use of the tools they offer. If you do decide to talk, I can tell you from personal experience that the egg heads in every class Discord are very eager to help players improve and are very good at looking through your logs to give specific advice on what to focus on to improve. Takes a bit of confidence and you will run into some jerks who put you down over the course of your improvement journey. Jerks are everywhere in WoW after all. The best way to handle them I find is to remember that once the dungeon is over you’ll never see them again and the only person who can give weight to whatever they said is yourself.

Well said.

I have to air a pet peeve I’m acquiring in reading this forums, the phrase ‘Get good’ or its mis-spelling.

Here’s a question to you folks: HOW does a person ‘get good’ without folks to advise or teach them?

I have read Icy Veins, leveled many alts to 50, have a handful at 60, all through mostly playing alone in PvE.

My confidence in myself is poor as I knew I wasn’t up to dungeon level and found even doing the daily chest run in Maldraxxus impossible.

Thankfully, a guild found me and those guys were great in teaching me how to get through what I couldn’t figure out and I finally ‘got it’.

Without support, without someone saying ‘hey, you’re not doing x’, some players may totally miss the point of some of the options available to them. Not everyone learns the same, not everyone thinks the same. Me, I miss obvious things, just ask my friends. In-obvious things? Clear as day to me.

What this game is sorely sorely missing is a way up the learning curve. Rather than belittling the people genuinely trying (as opposed to people with entitlement) pointing out what could be done better/properly would improve the quality of the game and community.

Mostly I fault Blizzard with the design choices they have made, but if I handed you a pair of knitting needles, some yarn and said ‘get gud’ and disparaged every mistake you made, likely you’d want to stab me with the needles rather than ask me for advice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

People can always ask how to get better as well? In the forums. We can happily link resources to improve gameplay.

Its hard to tell new players all the nuances, mechanics, and changes that happened over the years sometimes. Like I remember back in WoD reading articles on how to get better as a player and that site got down. I still remember reading an article back then as dpsing as a healer. I thought that was a good idea when everyone is overhealed or pugging dungeons. Some people woupd swap to a dps spec if heals werent needed.

1 Like

I don’t disagree about people asking, though sometimes don’t know what to ask.

I remember one dungeon a hunter was pulling aggro, and my guild-mate mentioned to me (it was a pug group we joined) that the hunter was playing badly. I was thinking a) why not tell the hunter and b) what were they doing wrong (yes I was that ignorant).

I was also told another time when playing my own hunter ‘turn off growl’ and I couldn’t figure out how. Later I realized that there were a whole set of things I had failed to add to my task bars. I then later went through several toons to see what else I had missed.

Bone headed things in some cases, some just pure ignorance. If my guild mate hadn’t mentioned, I wouldn’t even have missed what I didn’t know about. :slight_smile:

Personally if I’m unhappy with my toon, I try to look up what I’m doing wrong and try to figure it out, but often such things are unclear, even now. For example, in BfA, my assassin rogue did really well, enjoyed it. In SL, dying seems to be what I do best with it and even geared up with Korthia gear, isn’t kicking butt as I see other rogues doing.

I think part of the reasons people might not ask is that they may have gotten (or fear) toxic/useless responses and people don’t offer advice because of it being taken badly.

Or maybe people just don’t think of it at this point.

1 Like

I was hoping to get gear upgrades doing the quests in the new zone. :thinking:
I really wish they’d fix female Gnome avatars on this forum. We need to see your cute faces properly.

1 Like

Ah, no.
Do NOT throw us under the bus. A large number of us do it to see number go up, not for rewards.

2 Likes

Yea well that is stuff you figure out if you are new. The growl thing got changed a while back.

Those are designs that conflict with the game. I find many people are scared to ask questioms in pugs or random groups. Imo they are scared of getting kicked which I have seen happen.

I personally just tell them how. I often give people the benefit of the doubt.

Like I was doing a key on an alt. And I asked a tank if he knew what he was doing cause we were skipping tormentors. Seemed like he didnt know about them or at least in that SD run. So I told him I could tell him what to pull and he got offended and insulted everyone. The healer left some pulls later because like things weren’t going well.

You have to have some faith in people sometimes. But its not always guarenteed to effect someone if they aren’t asking for help. Usually if you ask it means you are looking to improve vs just being told you are doing something bad. Which in your situations is an awareness issue. Players are first becoming aware of what growl is and does and what threat is. That stuff isn’t intuitive to the game. Although you may have an idea if you read through your spell book. I don’t think everyone does.

You do matter to the people that you play with, but the sense of an overall community in WoW has been gone for quite some time. You’re contributing to the LFRs that you do and the heroics that you do. The other people doing those things want to do those things too, so again, you are important to them.

Frankly, the only people that really “matter” in a more general sense are the people that do the craziest content the fastest. The rest of us are just playing catchup. All that being said, classic might be the experience that you want. Find yourself a small guild and there will be plenty of stuff to do.

In other words a very small minority, I can see them mattering most to the player base, but if they matter the most to Blizzard, then Blizzard deserves all the stuff we give them.

It is not that the rest of us want the game to cater to us 100%. but at least toss us a few bones to keep us engaged and playing (and paying to play) so we can at least keep the servers up and running.

Sorry!

Did you not see all the crying threads? The only place I could get more salt was in the Covenant threads.

That I can respect!

Salute :beer: !