Arachnophobia mode?

Oh I know. And each time it comes up the defenders get vitriolic again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Typically while proving that a meme feature is a meme feature. Such as we see in this thread.

2 Likes

The whole brouhaha was silly then and it’s silly now.

1 Like

THAT is the huge problem these days. You can’t even REMOTELY begin to question something, even with ZERO hostility, without being met with disgustingly rude backlash/anger/hatred. Everyone thinks their opinion is THE opinion, and everyone else should just shut up, color within the lines, and bow to their “infinite wisdom”. This thread is full of it! Sure, plenty of people are just plain rude, but even people who have GENUINE questions, inquiring for civil discussion, are basically met with “shut up, its fine” replies. In short, humans are awful. Vote extinction level meteor 2024.

3 Likes

Generally speaking when a “marginalized” community, in this case arachnophobes, is force-teamed with a desired change people are going to weaponize empathy for that group just to defend the change they want. IE all of the people above with their “lolcrabs” comments and gifs. They don’t care about arachnophobes or arachnophobia. They just see an opportunity to get a laugh and are going for it.

This particular subject brings out a lot of that behavior.

3 Likes

Not in MW2 specifically, but other CoD games had very disturbing imagery. Little girl gets blown up in MW3 I think in the Amsterdam area? Torture (psychological/physical, in WaW or Black Ops games eg), racism/auschwitz/holocaust scenes - I mean, there’s a lot of potentially upsetting/disturbing scenes. And yeah absolutely, other games “get away” (for a lack of better phrasing) with much worse. No Russian was a marketing ploy, I’m sure, and I feel like this filter is as well.

There was a study sometime back testing people’s responses when reading upsetting content with “trigger warnings” and “without.”
People responded to being more disturbed when there’s trigger warnings, even though it’s the same content. Making it a bigger deal triggers a harsher fear response and in turn heightens the medium.

There was a movie, whos name I will not be able to recall (been awhile since I was in film 101) where a director hired nurses to “stand by” at the theater because the footage was allegedly so disturbing he said people might faint. It drove sales up. Of course, nobody will dispute having a nurse on hand is a bad thing but one can see the psychological phenomenon and the marketing ploy happening here, much as I suspect arachnophobia filter is also doing here.

Now I don’t want to say trigger warnings are useless or people’s fears aren’t valid, it’s obvious some people need them (or read the warnings to avoid the material), but it’s also true there’s secondary and not necessarily altruistic motives behind the scenes, either.

1 Like

Especially a hot nurse.

2 Likes

The same could be said for people who wanted default on proximity voice with toggles to silence and mute anyone they wanted or turn it off all together, and have it all tied into the speech to text and text to speech systems in place in game.

But people complain they don’t like it and don’t want it when there ARE people who do.

I fail to see the difference when adding features some people would like and use and others don’t regardless of what those features are.

1 Like

Best way to help people get over an irrational phobia is to further limit their exposure to the trigger of it.

I like the option a lot. Was happy to see it in Jedi Survivor and happy to see it here.

2 Likes

What’s interesting about it is that it doesn’t change every spider. Like in Vault it changed the little spiders into tiny blue crabs but Sennarth was still a spider.

I haven’t played jedi survivor but if they’re the same ones as in fallen order then thank god. Those giant tarantulas were horrifying.

2 Likes

It’s weird, I have always been afraid of spiders. I am now keeping 1 as a pet and working on it. But in game they never bothered me. What triggers me in game is sharks. There was 1 entire zone if underwater and sharks and I hated it.

Even when I out level sharks in game and can 1 shot them, they scare me lol. I hate it.

yes please i hate those dogs

I have a fear of video games. How are they going to address this?

1 Like

I like using it just cuz I think its funny to turn all the spiders into crabs.

To each their own.

Lol, no, salaried or not, your time off is your time off.

It amazes me that people will flag bomb someone saying that letting people live in their delusions is wrong.

I’m assuming the flaggers think people should live in whatever reality they feel like and yes man people to death?

I’m glad the majority of the population does not share the same sentiment lol

1 Like

Spiders leave a red mark? Brown Recluse can be deadly, Black Widow can be deadly. Both of which species live right here in the United States, so I would say that the fear of spiders (which I happen to have) that as you put it can not harm people is fully 100% a viable fear.

5 Likes

They are, luckily the mode changes them to be less spider like.

So we’re modifying what people say and locking their post now? Thats cool Blues…

1 Like

Ah dang, I was going to go in just to see. I was hoping to see a giant web-flinging crab and tell Kalecgos, “see? it wasn’t spiders!”