Arachnophobia filter...seriously

Who said they wasted money on this. Blizzard most likely reused the code for WoW China that made bones into bread then added a toggle for it.

Hmm. Very interesting takes that are still happening. Disappointed that the Antis’ Aunty Kim (with a ‘Y’) and their healing stones and crystals cause of woke chemtrails haven’t popped up yet.

They didn’t waste any money or company time on this. It was one dev, working on their own free time, who put this together.

2 Likes

From an interview in PCGamer:

I also got to speak to associate design director Maria Hamilton, who revealed the astonishing amount of work that went into this new accessibility option: “Before we settled on crabs, we looked at different options … we tried ‘what if the legs aren’t attached to the bodies’? We tried a bunch of things and did a bunch of testing internally … Fundamentally, the best choice was crabs, it turns out. No-one was scared of crabs.”

Hilariously enough, the whole crab thing was basically a hail mary: “We had heard from another research project that was done for another game that crabs were a reasonable replacement. People don’t seem to have the same visceral reaction to the shape of a crab’s legs that they do with spiders … On a whim we tried it, and everybody was like ‘oh, that’s fine!’”

Having seen the crab filter myself—and spending an appreciable amount of playtime during the alpha test flying around the old world to seek out crabs to transmogrify—I’d assumed that Blizzard came up with some automated system to turn spiders into crabs. Actually, no. Someone manually mapped every single spider in the game to find its crab soulmate.

“I actually have a quest designer that spent some time looking at every single spider that was spawned in the game, and what the appropriate crab replacement would be based on the colour, to make sure it was consistent,” Hamilton explains as my horror grows. “There are Nerubians attacking pretty much everywhere, so it’s not like we could avoid it … so yes, we mapped every single spider.”

Not to fear, though—Hamilton reassures me that “the designer that did it, she actually had a wonderful time. She likes spiders.” Truly, not all heroes wear capes.

This tell everyone three things:

1. It was not just a toggle.
  2. It was not a single person.
  3. It was on company time.

(4. And I was right, no one with actual anachrophobia or even a sensitivity to creepy crawlers worked on it. More over no one with the capability to google crab phobia, which is rare but rebukes their statement that no one is afraid of crabs, worked on it.)

2 Likes

They don’t toggle into bone… do they?
They toggle into crabs.
Obviously different coding.

Spiders you can trust.

5 Likes

lmao somehow it is still going and it’s a dumpster fire of deep development lore and hurt fee fees.

Idk about that last one. Something ain’t right.

2 Likes

R.I.P. Charlotte

Sorry spoilers

3 Likes

Threw up in my mouth a bit when I got to this part. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Don’t leave out where I said they reused code. Meaning they used the base of the code instead of making 100% new code. This is a time and resource saving technique, why try to argue about something so common place.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/fear-evolution-spiders-science

1 Like

This type of thing should just be a model mapping. The work would mostly be in digging through the database

The main problem that allows this to happen seems to be that if the thing they cater to is skill, everyone wants to be seen as skilled, so when, in reality, they are pouring 90% of resources into 1% of players, about 65% of the remaining players howl in support of it just to seem like they’re part of the skilled elite. It’s more important to them to get that player-hate than to play a game they actually enjoy.

I’m afraid of snakes. Where’s the filter to turn snakes into caterpillars?

2 Likes

Or Slayer’s lead guitarist…

2 Likes

Don’t give them ideas… if we get naga I do not want people to turn me into a caterpillar…

Same for people who want Sethrak.

LOL I use to love using my Big Hairy Spider in PVP…boy could I get some players to run away with that spider esp when I use Beastial wrath …double size huge red spider coming at them…trust me I don’t like spiders either I have run into walls in real life cause of them but for PVP they are great.

Can I have a mod that turns Body Type 2 into bowls of fruit?

7 Likes

Hope so.

Boys rule and girls drool! I don’t need body type 2 cooties on my screen. :stuck_out_tongue: