Arachnophobia filter...seriously

I’m going to turn it on just because crabs everywhere will be hilarious. Crab is peak evolution.

4 Likes

Fear of spiders isn’t a human evolutionary trait. If it was, it would be more widespread than it is with the majority of the population not having this fear, but also do to the fact the vast majority of spider species on the planet have little to no impact on humans in general.

So to you, wearing a hat in a game with your hair down is more important than helping someone with a phobia be able to enjoy the game?

This right here is why we can’t have nice things in this world.

1 Like

According to science it is. The level of phobia is not a helpful trait, you don’t handle it right. The evolutionary level of fear of spiders is helpful, ie people avoid it instinctively. Snakes are another thing most humans are instinctively afraid of.

Human have in fact at some point in our history or the history of the animals we evolved from developed, through evolution/survival of the fittest, an instinctive fear of spiders.

2 Likes

What does “evolutionary trait” mean? Does the human race have some traits that are “evolutionary” and some that aren’t?

Humans aren’t instinctively afraid of spiders lol.

Read up on it. It’s true of nearly all primates that we are generally afraid of snakes and spiders at birth…ie not a learned response. They think in the case of spiders it came from a fear of scorpion’s but they are close enough that it carries over.

Totally different from a phobia, but yes it is an innate thing.

1 Like

Yes, some are learned rather than born with.

1 Like

Arguing it’s an evolutionary trait is so weird. Spiders aren’t even top 10 deadliest animals.

Dogs kill way, way, way more people yearly than spiders do and they are a pretty universally beloved pet.

My bad, I meant “some genetic traits.”

I was weirded out by that statement because every inherent trait humans can have was evolved, no matter how common it is, including genetic diseases.

I didn’t come up with the idea. Scientific studies have found that humans and in fact most primates are afraid of some things instinctively. Snakes, spiders, scorpians…so they figured it must have come from survival of the fittest in times when they were more prevalent. The studies do think spiders got it more from scorpians as they are more likely dangerous than a spider.

Not arguing this, just saying what science currently believes. There is some debate on it in the scientific community, but mainly about spiders vs scorpians.

Gotcha. Yeah that doesn’t make sense, all genetics came from evolution of some sort.

I imagine some flamboyant self centered blizzard employee is scared of spiders. I doubt this has anything to do with players

2 Likes

I want to know how they can spend time on this, but cant be bothered to give my mechagnome the option for actual legs-- What if I have a fear of being a quadruple-amputee?!

2 Likes

In the sense that using statistics that represent the wider population often don’t match up when measuring subpopulations. It’s unlikely to vary too wildly but it’s certainly not uncommon for percentages to vary from group to subgroup. And there are some variables (like expansions full of spiders) that could be reasonably expected to have swayed those percentages.

You would think that people who have a phobia of rats wouldn’t be highly represented in the rat catcher business. Like you would think arachnophobes wouldn’t be highly represented in a game with a ton of spiders.

I definitely hesitate to believe they actually took much detailed feedback or thought this one through. This filter coming alongside the jumping spider was either really tone deaf or a 10/10 troll as well.

I step away from the game for a few weeks to come back to this. LOL
Honestly, I have a irrational fear of centipedes - would I want a filter to switch them to say, a snake? No, I find facing said fears in a safe environment helps like I do with Green Hell (a survival game).

4 Likes

I used to be in a guild with a player that couldn’t do the 1st boss of Antorus because they were afraid of giant robots. It’s amazing that people like that exist

3 Likes

I will faint at the sight of blood. Kind of messed up my desire to be a lab tech. I’m ok with blood drawn and shots but I cannot see the instruments or watch when they do it. I need to do deep relaxing techniques when I get this done.
Spiders are odd for me, some I can handle and some I cannot. My reactions vary from nausea to panic attacks. In game it’s only gotten worse because of the amazing graphics. There are caves in wow I cannot get myself to enter no matter the quest or the treasure. Just too much.

2 Likes

Why have good content that everyone can enjoy, when you can waste money on something that effects a very small percentage of players…
But, welcome to ’ current year '…

1 Like

Bro, why u mad? You want them to take out the color blindness options too?

If you’re not going to use it… does it really matter to you? no… you just wanna complain online to people who couldn’t care less about your opinion.

I suggest you peel yourself off your chair… fleck the crumbs off your shirt and go reflect in a shower.

seriously… people are afraid of spiders and they do something to help those people? and you’re being an absolute A$* about it?

Maan… what a life that must be.

With love,

Frozenwing

4 Likes