Arachnophobia filter...seriously

Problem with that study is the fact it doesn’t take into account that there are nearly zero spider’s in the area that are a threat to humans where they evolved. Most studies tend to believe the fear is more around scorpions instead.

1 Like

Really?

Given that Blizzard needed to invest resources in this, it is incredibly obvious to me that they were assuring their bottom line was not affected by having a spider-heavy expansion that has 2024 levels of visual fidelity.

Really?

And yet they continually nerf difficult content for the lowest common denominator.

Please give three examples of this.

And nothing from when the lawsuit was threatening because those were not dev choices, those were damage-control decisions.

Really?

Customizations have opened up to include things outside of various races’s look and, in at least one case I can think of, are contrary to that race’s look.

All races/all classes now has several combos which make zero sense lorewise or even on a logic bases and there are more to come.

Your complaint is outdated as it does not reflect the current reality.

Wasting resources to cater to some customer is foolish because:

1. it will lose the business money
  2. it is never enough (as seem on this board)
  3. other customers are going to want the same preferential treatment (as seen on this board)

See: Preach Talks WoW’s New Direction with Ion

It was posted on Nov 14, 2023 and first two minutes will explain it had nothing to do with spite.

Really?

Please educate yourself on phobias.

No one doesn’t if one wants to be completely immersed in the game.

Some people play for the fantasy.

It’s almost like phobias are irrational.

Oh, wait…

1 Like

I remember many years back, I read a thread here on GD from somebody with arachnophobia who was requesting something like this. Everyone laughed and berated them telling them to grow up or uninstall if it’s that bad. I hope that person is still around and here to enjoy this feature which, quite frankly, I never thought they’d get.

3 Likes

…Africa?

Which proves the point that this would have been an evolutionary trait, spiders and scorpions are very similar looking to primitive brains.

Yes? The vast, vast majority of spiders that are deadly to humans are in areas where humans wouldn’t have evolved.

That’s pure speculation.

If it is to avoid pests such as flies :fly: and others that cause diseases, it is fine, although it can be controlled in the case of humidity that causes spider webs.

but there are many reasons to view this Blizzard filter as RIDICULOUS.

Humidity that causes spider webs? Do explain.

The Whelpling Daycare was fun and got a few new battle pets too…that is a good thing…

2 Likes

I am more scared of Spiders then Scorpions in real life…I have run into walls getting away from a real spider …in game ones don’t brother me but real ones yes…

1 Like

Spider monkeys…

It’s easy, give it time, and then set fire to that spiderweb, you will see the fire you caused in that house by not cleaning the spiderwebs for a long time.

So is this

Latrodectus indistinctus, black button spider, violin spider, and Sack spiders are all deadly to Humans and all found where Humans are thought to have first emerged.

I even found another article for you that talks about the leading scientific theory that we gained evilutionary traits to fear spiders IN Africa during early Humans days.

https://phys.org/news/2015-04-human-spiders-scientific-focus.html
Heres is another study concluding the same
https://www.sciencealert.com/deep-unshakeable-fear-spiders-no-random-quirk-fate-born-arachnophobia

I really dont see why any of this is even relevant, fear of spiders is one of the most common phobias and a plugin to help people with that is an objective good.

exactly, but the problem here with the filter is as such that I repeat in the thread.

the hypocrisy and ridiculousness in a filter, and at the same time of a cute new pet spider.

Blizzard is not taking it seriously, and that worries me for the future content of the expansion trilogy.

Most of the studies tend to lean towards scorpions due to modern deaths, which in general would be relatively similar in the past based on the fact there are barely any spiders in the area considered a real threat to humans. Many, many more people die from scorpion stings vs spider bites in the areas humans evolved.

One of the most common phobias that only like 6% of the population experiences.

If you want to know what a real evolutionary fear is, go hiking out west and record your bodies reaction to seeing a mountain lion in the wild lol. Unlike spiders, there is a ton of evidence that early humans were hunted by big cats.

1 Like

/popcorn

i am thoroughly enjoying watching the reactions of snowflakes being butterhurt about this being added to the game. doesnt matter what their rationale is or what they state in public. the meltdowns are glorious.

does it detract from my gameplay? no
will i use it? who knows, maybe, just because.

3 Likes

It’s just an interesting policy shift from Blizzard. There are far more common phobias but Blizzard has reacted to those by putting more of it in the game and forcing us to experience it.

I think the arachnophobes should be more tolerant of spiders because bigotry is not a good look! The spiders just want to be left alone!

2 Likes

Im work phobic… can we get rid of professions

I’m an Aussie, and I’m terrified of spiders. My biggest fear is a huge huntsman spider crawling under my hair when I’m driving at night. They can be as big as a man’s hand, and for some reason they love the ‘vibrations’ of people! Arghhhh!

A couple of years ago a huntsman spider crawled on a man whilst he was driving near my town, and he caused an 11 car pile-up with one fatality, sadly, and three children air-lifted to hospital. Australians either live in fear of huntsman spiders in their car, or, like my Dad, just let them crawl away and don’t care!

I will never use the filter, because NO WoW spider has anything on an Aussie spider!

2 Likes

My only issue with the filter is that it doesn’t turn spiders into ogres in a Spiderman costume. I get that Blizzard doesn’t own the Spiderman IP, so I can let it slide.

And again, 6% of 8.1 Billion people is roughly 486 million.

And again: