Arachnophobia filter...seriously

In a pleasent turn of events, the fikter will also turn elves into crabs.

3 Likes

hehehehe… and that speaks well of the dwarves, TRAITOR ALLIANCE at the beginning.

It is convenient for you to cause you more ridiculous fear that is not going to go away and you are going to die crying in your nightmares of sexy elfs.

This is honestly the most piss-weak argument I have ever seen. Folks being weaker? Dude, its a common but relatively harmless phobia that affects like 7% of the population in certain places. Its not hurting anyone yet you’ve apparently dragged it into some crazy political scheme when the real answer is “Back in Wrath I tamed those Maenexxa model spiders from Bloodmyst island and freaked the hell out of a few people on the opposing team when this screaming death-spideer hurtled towards them at 120% speed (before it melted because hunter pets were still affected by AoE back then)”

If people want to cure it you can do it in like, an afternoon tops, yeah, but its not like its hurting anyone for this change. Except you, apparently.

Big W blizzard

1 Like

Woke Blizzard… companies gotta do it apparently

1 Like

agree. the Earthen look really disgusting with those crystals sticking out of them.
More disturbing than Mechagnomes if I’m being honest.

2 Likes

Really?

And what is this one-afternoon miracle cure that the entire psychological community is completely unaware of?

1 Like

Psychology community’s aware of it? Its just exposure therapy and education

https://scienceillustrated.com.au/blog/nature/arachnophobia-cured-within-two-hours/

I see this thread is still going.

If Blizzard put this feature into the game via a toy, say Crabby Goggles, no one would’ve batted an eye. But make it an accessibility feature, make it look like someone’s getting preferential treatment and suddenly it’s the hill to die on.

2 Likes

While i fully agree and actually enjoy the ability to turn spiders into crabs for giggles, i find it interesting that arachnophobia can translate into WoW graphics with how some of the spiders look so over designed or underdesigned that they don’t illicit the same fear of spiders in me.

Guess there’s different levels to arachnaphobia.

/sigh

I take it you didn’t read the whole thread.

While exposure therapy has been found to be the most effective cure for phobias, it is not a one-size fits all and in actual fact:
a) as a long term cure, typically needs to done over multiple sessions in order to make the changes in feelings and thoughts permanent
b) is done in a controlled environment which does not always translate to uncontrolled environments
c) in some cases, can actually make the phobia worse

So please don’t spread that misinformation, especially the idea that it can be cured in an afternoon. That is not the average person’s experience and sets them up for failure.

1 Like

hmm… yeah… IDK when the W word became a bad word or inappropriate.

It should be harmless, but it becomes hypocritical by adding a spiderpet during the filter problem.

So you can see how ridiculous this situation is.

It’s not inappropriate?

I tell you that they took advantage of flagged several times for that word, and I see that on social networks it is already half censored or they use it with the W word just for the simple reason that snowflakes look for a way to cowardly annoy people without the use of accepting his defeat.

What are you even talking about? Big W to me just means big win

no, there not win this W word.

but he’s a stupid gnome, he doesn’t win anything, so…

It’s incredibly obvious some dev had this problem and that’s why it happened.

Players, even large numbers are upset about something? Too bad, git-gud, play another game, we want to challenge you, that’s just the way it is, insert other elitist, dismissive snark here that we’re used to hearing for decades now if they even acknowledge us at all.

Devs have a problem or a want? Move heaven and earth, destroy the lore, shred the story, ruin happy memories, remove things players like, alter game mechanics, etc, etc.

This is a service, not their personal play-thing, it’s run by a massive corporation and isn’t some small personal project with tight creative control and yet despite the massive retcons and world shifting rebirth the lore was subjected to with SL they hold the reigns with such tight fists. It’s like still no one ever told them catering to some customer wants is okay. Sure don’t let customers vote in every decision and change you make and don’t listen to every 10% of playerbase cranks out there that insist you have to change the way it works to this other way they insist will be better. But harmless things like adding high elves or other wanted races or customizations are resisted with gusto, things that just do not affect mechanics and are resisted purely out of spite and for control. This is the company whose devs like Ion were the types to laugh in your face if you raised an objection like this but not this to them at a con.

Fear of heights for example is another big fear. How to cater to that in a game with flying and so much z-elevation? Not possible. Or fear of water and depths, can’t be done.

It just seems silly. It’s not like something that causes physical illness like distortions and perceptions leading to motion sickness.

One has to have a certain separation from one’s avatar in games and that includes being able to see scary things (part of the reason why spiders are used is because they’re scary to many people) and remind oneself and calm oneself with the knowledge it’s a game, it’s through a screen, it’s not real, it can’t touch you, it can’t get to you in the physical world and you are in total control, you can alt+f4 or alt-tab or just look away from your screen and it won’t be there anymore until you’re ready to go back.

3 Likes

While I understand your bewilderment, it “doesn’t affect me,” so I don’t really care for this option.

I put this in quotation marks because it does, actually, affect me in that they spent man hours doing this thing which could have gone into allowing our toons to, say, wear hats with our hair down. I’m so tired of my characters losing all their hair when they wear hats.

2 Likes

I know that the next expansion is gonna heavily focus on “spiders” but there are a lot of zones and mobs and dungeons and raids already with spiders I’m curious as to why they’re just adding this now.

2 Likes