Arachnophobia filter...seriously

I uh…okay?

There, it’s fixed now!

I have Uglytransmogophobia. I need a filter that makes these heathens with ugly transmogs bearable to look at.

5 Likes

This feature makes it even less likely that they will make nerubians playable. I hate it.

I am not going to risk mentioning other common phobias that might give blizz ideas to further mess up the game.

Statistically the chances of it being far out of that percentage would be very strange. It’s just not how statistics tends to work. Unless there is some known correlation that bumps up or lowers the chance of someone being arachnophobia and playing video games or mmo’s.

It makes way more sense and is far more likely to match general populous numbers when there is no confounding variable.

In short, it’s probably in that 3 to 6% range.

It’s an assumption :stuck_out_tongue:

As is the assumption that every arachnophobe is going to have problems that carry over to a video game medium. It’s not uncommon to have phobias carry over to video games but it’s also not universal. As several people with other common phobias have mentioned already.

It’s my own assumption based on all of this that the number of WoW players it is necessary (or even helpful) for is below the percentage of arachnophobes in the population.

It’s an interesting and quirky idea but I really think people are making a bigger deal of it on both sides of the discussion than it really is.

No it’s a proven fact of statistics. If you find something present across a large number and go to a smaller but large number without a confounding variable the sampling should be the same. if it isn’t than the original number is wrong.

I don’t think that we don’t know if it will carry over is true either. That is the difference between saying you are afraid of spiders and you have a phobia of spiders. The reactions are massively different and completely out of your control if you have a phobia which is what that percentage entails.

The point is there is nothing wrong with them doing it, and having an issue with it is just weird and from what I have seen selfish. People have issues, if we can help with them, no matter how small or large without painful loss we should. Not that big a deal, and the people making a stink are against it. They are against helping a large group enjoy the game more. That sucks.

2 Likes

but they didn’t though. It was a dev’s indenpendent project

I’m afraid of tornados, but the tornados in game don’t scare me only real ones do.

I’d rather have a filter to toggle those disgusting forsaken models. I shouldn’t have to look at undead bodies every time I log in

That’s the difference between a phobia and a fear. Phobias are irrational, they aren’t going to make sense. You fear dogs because you were attacked by one, that’s rational. You also know that dogs in games/videos can’t hurt you, again it’s rational. Phobias just happen and don’t require any prior experience to occur and can still be triggered via images/videos/games depending on severity. Some can be treated, some go away, some don’t.

A lot of people in this thread are conflating a fear with phobias and think that just because they rationally fear something and don’t fear it ingame that it must be the same for everyone, which isn’t the case at all. They can’t comprehend having a full blown panic attack or going into fight or flight mode because someone brought a balloon into the room(globophobia). I fear spiders but I don’t have a phobia, I don’t freak out and have a panic attack when I see them or try to run as far away as possible. I’ll avoid them when I can or remove/eliminate them if I can’t, but I don’t tap into fight or flight or break down crying.

3 Likes

It’s almost like phobias are irrational.

Oh, wait…

And perhaps calling a reaction someone has no control over ‘weird’ and ‘crazy’ is not the most tactful… even when it is weird and crazy :grin: .

Because they replaced them with crabs!

You know, those creatures who also have an abnormal amount of legs, an abnormal amount of joints in their legs, a weird walk and can skitter across surfaces in no time flat. And bonus points, crabs have pincers which are an actual threat and eye stalks which are naturally creepy even without any phobia.

I don’t care what Ion’s claims, there is no way they took feedback from anyone with actual arachnophobia and or even a sensitivity to creepy-crawlers on that decision.

Personally, I am going to stick with the spiders. I have years of built-up mental defenses against them and I don’t need to develop one involving crabs by association.

Or unknown…

Or an actual cause and effect where arachophobics don’t play specific videos games because those particular games feature the object of their irrational fear all over the damn place like… mmm… I don’t know… WoW!

Personally, the only reason I can play WoW is because the encounters are spread out. If every or even every fourth encounter was with spiders, I would not be able to play it.

It is like the difference between the movies Arachnophobia and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I have never been able to watch Arachnophobia all the way thru because the fear just keeps ramping up until I am fleeing the room in panic whereas when I watch the spider scene in the Harry Potter movie I am able to hold on until it is over (although the appearance of the giant spider does make it dicey when I am sober :grin: ).

1 Like

I understand your central point and it’s well put.
Though I can’t help but feel there’s some linguistic disparity somewhere, and not just in this thread. First google link for cynophobia is " Cynophobia (Fear of Dogs)". I have never heard the two be described differently, though I was thinking there’s two different concepts at play somewhere.

My phobia fear of dogs was always called irrational, and the forum poster above said its rational. While they might be right, there is a nuance apparently.

Its my reactions, not theirs, though.

Nothing can be done about Blizzard’s tolerance for hypocrisy, it adds a filter, but at the same time it adds a cute pet of that phobia that they are adding.

How is Blizzard doing? I’m not saying I disagree with your filter, but I’m concerned for future MIXED decisions that could make some things WORSE for the content for this expansion.

Are you mentioning between arthropods or insects?

Remember that there is a difference in animals with more than 2 legs, or mammals which do not only have feet like a cat.

Keep in mind on that.

And Blizzard talks about arachnids, but they don’t talk about ticks.

Same thing, I hope all your funds don’t go to these things instead of the quality of the video game and the lore like MMORPG.

In what sense are you talking?

IT’S DONE, Everything is more political every day, after all you are CHAINED to what they say instead of developing better gameplay and video game lore, I am not against this filter (I repeat it) but your decisions in front of a filter while making a cute spider new pet is doubtful if they are doing an excellent job WITHOUT PRESSURE of government demands.

You cannot control it, but you can fight, one of the reasons to prevent you from losing fear or tolerating it is by fighting, because encouraging you to just avoid it, only makes you stay and not fight from that fear.

something that Blizzard made more pleasant to an audience sensitive to these invertebrates, THIS NOT AUSTRALIA for banned a Peppa Pig episode, we are in Azeroth and the vision of seeing a big spider compared to the fear of real life is really different.

but it’s ridiculous, because if you see in my posts, only 2 times did Blizzard really use that phobia, mostly the nerubians and other BIG spiders in Azeroth was the most sensitive that has been made to this phobia and has made it acceptable.

I don’t agree where your results of those SURVEYS come from.

WOW… only WOW? That’s why it makes me angry that Blizzard forgets the roots of RTS.

it’s fine, I’m not very against it, but since a cute pet spider was added in front of that new filter option, I see it more and more RIDICULOUS every day that Blizzard’s MIXED actions confront one, and against the other.

3 Likes

Ya the snowflake peoples are in full season every season now forever and ever and ever and ever…

3 Likes

I dont have arachnophobia but i am a chairman on the crustacean nation board so i will be putting on this filter simply because of my love of crabs. Would be nice if this could extend to all animals.

:crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab: :crab:

This is a message brought to you by Crustacean Nation

2 Likes

same…though it’s not a sin in my religion the spider had an important role and as such I generally avoid killing them…I usually catch and release.

you people and slamming ‘political’ as a buzzword. SPOILERS: Warcraft has always been politcal. Ever since WC1. WC2 has missions about groups breakiing off and joining up with the other side and about getting other groups to join per politics (and the breaking up therein when a certain warlock runs off with the entire fleet to an island chain). If you don’t like politics, go play Hello Kitty (but even that’s probably going to be too ‘politcal’ for you)

Regardless though like, how much effort do you honestly think went into this? Its just the same filter that’s been in game since Vanilla that turns mobs into other ones, as seen on those Brewfest goggles that make everyone orcs or gnomes, or more recently the corgi goggles, except it only targets Nerubians, replacing them with a BfA era model. And the hell are you on about with government demands? The only time there’s been government demands was from China and that’s handled by a whole seperate copany

I don’t think dredging up a toy ability from Vanilla and changing what it targetted stopped them with any sort of gameplay or lore. It was a 5 second job.

2 Likes

hohohoho… COME ON… You’re going to come to me with that ol’ reliable: haz alwayys bin pulitical No, that’s stupid, I wasn’t born yesterday, the problem is political, IS POLITICS NOW DIFFERENT from what it was before.

You cannot say that it is the same and according to what is now, LOOK THAT, LOOK THAT, the greens have correctly said how it should be.

and it is not the Warcraft policy of before that THEY THEMSELVES WANT TO FORGET ABOUT RTS ROOTS, but the policy EXERCISED in the country IN REAL LIFE.

So don’t try to confuse me with one and the other.

It should be so simple, however the problem comes from a hypocrisy between a mixed idea between avoiding one and accepting the other.

In the case of adding the arachnophobia filter and at the same time having a cute pet new spider, see a mixed decision that for the future of the content would worry others, something that would not make sense if something bad happened in the new expansion.

And I hope it doesn’t happen because he has every chance to conclude all of WoW before these people ruin the quality of the video games due to political measures by the government, AND NOT THE VIDEO GAME ITSELF THAT YOU MENTION.

oh really? think that? I think it’s even worse with what’s in China, if you’re talking about the Blizzchung case, or earlier when they censored the skeletons in that Asian version.

yeah… But you said that you consider something that was so simple as hard work, is it thinking well, without problems?

1 Like

Oh, don’t you worry, the backlash has already started and the pendulum will soon be swinging back in the other direction.

And, after watching this happen in the '80s, I can’t wait to see what is left standing this time in the wreckage.

3 Likes

now you said that i’m 4channer? no… no… Dude… You don’t need forums to know where this :poop::poop::poop::poop: is in the first place.

hohoho… Every time you tell me those things, you reveal how W you are, next time don’t try to play a game just by being on the W move.

you see my post, you see my post in this thread and another that link in this thread, I don’t need to repeat it

and you W, you are not here to play the video game, and you are not doing anything good like Blizzard is doing, you cannot remove the phobias, but you can fight, and these filters only make people who would not want to have it weaker with this problem.