Arachnophobia filter...seriously

They’re 'bout to unplug our wifi and send us all back into the stone age!

As long as they patch my memory leak

1 Like

I actually wouldn’t go that far. The problem is that ultimately, if you say something is a need or a right, it’s baseless. And it’s allowed to be baseless. It’s foundational. Most needs in the way of “people should be treated this way and not that way” are not physical needs as in, you’ll die if you don’t get them.

So if someone says a spider filter is a need or a right, the only way to expose that as perhaps not the case is to note that “eh maybe someday” is not how we treat people with genuine needs, and it does seem to be the case that people are saying it’s a need in and “eh maybe someday” to people with other phobias in the same breath.

It’s important to treat people fairly. If people who benefit by the spider filter can’t do that, and it causes them to become entitled and treat the phobias of others with dismissal, then maybe they shouldn’t have it.

If it’s a want and not a need then I am for it. People should get what they want in a game they pay for. This is not a common understanding for some reason.

1 Like

Sure I get that. I’m just thinking about the implications for development where they can’t solve something with just a filter.

Again I have no issue with the Arachnophobia filter. It won’t affect the vast majority of people at the end of the day. But it makes the game more enjoyable for some.

1 Like

As said, we do what we reasonably can. If we can’t that sucks, an hopefully we develop more as time goes on to be able to do so.

As said earlier people have a fear of endless Abyss, think a filter can fix that? Probably not presently, but not having to swim to the bottom of Vash’jr or having clouds and tree tops in Ardenweald does a lot. People don’t talk about this aid given because it’s not a hard toggle, and they can get mad at ‘weaker’ people.

1 Like

This thread is blatantly ableist.

3 Likes

It’s really just the people that think it’s fun that have stuck around and been dismissive of other phobias. Not people that actually benefit from it.

They’ve seen the change, expressed gratitude, and moved on.

I’m not letting myself think these people are actually speaking for others with that phobia like they think they are. They’re just using them as a defense of a change they want for the laughs.

1 Like

I can confirm all this, I was standing behind them at their computers, shaking my head as they snickered typing these posts.

1 Like

I mean it’s in writing in the thread. People with arachnophobia have popped in, said sweet, and moved on for the better part. I think you’re an exception? Not sure, lots of names in here.

I still don’t actually hold it against arachnophobes though. They’re just trying to enjoy the game and might find one more thing that makes it easier.

It’s the people that have no issue but have appointed themselves as spokesperson for those with phobias simply because they want to turn spiders into crabs that are far more obnoxious, insulting, and accusatory.

1 Like

Oh yeah I know! Motives are easy to see though text. I hate when people pretend to care, why cant they for real care?

1 Like

So are we gonna have crabs that have spider abilities like web and venomous bite etc? Or will they also change to crab abilities?

So why are we ignoring the fact that Nerubians are not a new race and have been in-game since Wrath?

Or are we going further down that road of WOTLK erasure for anyone who’s joined up since Legion?

1 Like

Wrath had a chance at being a successful expansion if it had a crab filter for all of the spiders. So much wasted potential. Such a shame.

3 Likes

I give them the benefit of the doubt until I can’t anymore. Some people may even think they’re doing good by it, but simply be unaware that zip-zapping to the next need or right because it’s new and sparkly when some people don’t have the need or right they discovered three weeks ago, makes things less equal, not more.

I’m not on a side as weak/strong goes. I don’t care much if we say that the weak are in the right and should be accommodated, or that the people who want everyone to just toughen up are right.

But there is this third classification of opportunists who are strong until they might be hurt, then cry weak, or are weak when it benefits them, but when they can hurt someone else, immediately 180 and become strong. They’ve made me intensely distrustful of whichever side is poised to benefit.

Search “french bulldog vs cat” on youtube.

1 Like

Ohhhhh… THAT’S why we’re nuking it in Classic to bring in a rehash of the modern retail experience.

It all makes sense now.

1 Like

Up the Irons! Thats all I have for this thread.

1 Like

Thats not 100% true. In my case, I am debating/arguing that its beyond absurd that anyone would be upset about this toggle on any level. None of the armchair psychiatric suggestions on why it’s a bad idea, or how people should “toughen up”, get over it or asking how they managed for 20 years in a game, or any of the slippery slope arguments hold water. Do I personally benefit from the toggle? No, but I’m not gonna say it was “wasted dev time” or tell people who do want it how they should handle their phobia. Same as I wouldn’t tell someone who uses colorblind mode that they should just “see better” or how it was “wasted dev time” to implement it when only 7% of people are colorblind. There are a lot of games with a similar “Arachnophobia modes” like Star Wars: Survivor and the survival game Grounded. Quick google search turns up many articles, reddit posts, and gaming forums where people as about if a game has a phobia feature or if one can be added. Google also turns up a yahoo article from 2006 where people were discussing that vanilla WoW should have a filter of some kind because the spiders were unnerving!

I will admit I have lost my composure in this thread a few times and probably came off worse than I intended in the discussion, but I honestly believe what I’m saying, and many other people are as well, is coming from a good place. I have agoraphobia. Man do I understand how irrational fears can be. I have to give myself a peptalk, use breathing exercises, and take Ativan just to walk 20 feet from my front door to the mailbox. It’s not “weaponizing empathy”, its actual empathy. I know how bad things like this can suck and I am happy that people who have wanted this feature are getting it. I wish there was an agoraphobia toggle for real life so I can sit on my deck for more than 10 mins without anxiety. So, yeah, it bothers me a whole lot to see people come in here and complain that the feature was added with all the tagalong nonsense arguments against it.

quick edit- heres an article from a year ago about this subject in gaming-
Games With Customizable Options For Phobias
https://www.thegamer.com/best-games-phobia-settings-options-list/

6 Likes

Rofl That video is quite the metaphor for these forums.

1 Like

What if people are riding spider mounts?

1 Like

The saddest thing to me is that the people weaponising empathy to hurt others are mixed in with the people who genuinely need it.

I have peed my pants because of my fear of cockroaches. In the game it bothers me (roach room in ICC :dizzy_face:). In real life if one is touching me I just lose it. (Now, how many of the “weak” people who are on the side of accommodation will attack me for this, I wonder.)