Arachnophobia filter...seriously

It is, which is why I was shocked the fox used it.

3 Likes

To be fair, they arent the one who brought this horrible analogy up.

3 Likes

You may have misspoken and I don’t hold you accountable if you did. I also quoted someone else because the general understanding seems to be that it is a need.

I don’t object to it being called a need, if it is called a need for everyone. I don’t object to people getting what they want either; they should. What I object to is it being called a need for some, who get pushed to the front on that basis, but when someone else wants the same thing, too bad so sad maybe someday.

If we’re all agreeing that a spider filter is a want and not a need or a right, I agree. I was the one who used it first, and I used it in response to anyone calling a spider filter a need or a right, but dismissing a shark filter as meh we can’t help everybody.

1 Like

If we can’t even deal with a cartoon spider in a video game then we’re already there.

Quite pathetic tbh

3 Likes

Well if you can call something you want for the lulz a “human right” it produces an appeal to emotion that can be used in lieu of an actual argument.

Ah, I do see that now. Sorry I’ve seen so many modern progress struggles related to slavery abolition. It’s the Godwin’s Law of progress debates.

Right dude? How dare people have one of the most common mental illnesses. They should play video games like a tough guy like me!

2 Likes

Looking at a cartoon spider on a screen is being tough?

Lol. Good grief.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

Most of the people excited about it don’t seem to actually have the problem in question. They’re just using people that do as a way of attacking the character of people that think it’s silly.

Which is also very common where modern progress struggles are concerned.

2 Likes

Where has this happened? Where is the lobbyists for Big Spider filter? This forum has been mostly fighting people who attack things that make people’s lives better.

There have been a few recorded requests for a spider filter over the years and Blizzard helped. Myself and another have talked about subtle changes Blizzard has been making that solve other anxieties. But that stuff gets glossed over for people posting ‘it’s been 20 years do people really-need- this? How did you play before’. Like, who cares what you defy as a need, trying to make this argument just halts progress till the ‘need’ to do something is justified instead of just doing something because it benefits everyone.

3 Likes

No but complaining about a plugin for it is apparently.
Mah poor poor west!

3 Likes

I just have to ask where one draws the line?

What I mean is that there are so many phobias where does it end up being like whack a mole where you spend more time creating filters to cater to everyone with a fear of something than creating new content?

Here are a few interesting ones…

Aerophobia - Fear of flying (A central feature in both Dragonflight and War Within)
Acrophobia - Fear of Heights (again with flying? You often are quite high).
Climacaphobia - fear of climbing (Another feature in Dragonflight where you climbed stuff)
Chronophobia - Fear of time. (Guess that knocks out the bronze dragonflight stuff)
Daemonophobia - Fear of Demons. (would be a tough time to play through Legion)
Entomophobia - (Fear of Insects). That would really suck given Pandaria has a zone almost dedicated to the Klakki.
Necrophobia - (Fear of death/Dead things) So when is the filter that turns all forsaken into bunnies coming?

In a poll on VeryWell mind 4,860 votes were cast with Arachnophobia tying Acrophobia at 19%.

And do you then spend time to retroactively go back and filter existing content or is it applied broadly across the board? For example the Nexus you both fly and are high. So do they then have to try and design content around specific phobias? A filter seems like the way to go. I am not sure how hard it is to code.

At the end of the day, options are great and a net positive. As others have said it’s something that won’t affect most people and can be turned on or off. I just don’t think it’s practical to try and cater to every phobia, etc. The statistics show that as much as 6% of a general population has Arachnophobia. So I get it. It’s an accessibility feature and if you don’t have that phobia you don’t have to use it. Someone else using it also won’t affect your experience at the end of the day.

2 Likes

See though? That’s the thing. Nobody actually cares and you’ll be dismissed and told to go try to get the ear of the devs to address your specific issue.

Nobody expects or wants other phobias to actually be tackled.

They’re just excited because crabs!

And you’re hateful if you aren’t.

2 Likes

But then couldn’t they just reset the simulation to factory settings and start with a fresh install?

2 Likes

Well, if you’re taking the stance that cartoon spiders are scary then that’s up to you.
Im not trying to change anyone’s mind, just pointing out the absurdity.

3 Likes

Fair point, fair point.

As I have answered we do what we reasonably can to help the most amount of people and work from there. Of course a line will happen eventually but the idea of ‘slippery slope, when does it stop?’ shouldn’t be an excuse to do nothing.

5 Likes

Dude I know I agree with you, society is soon to collapse! The end times are upon us. Plugin to help people with a phobia in a video game? Whats next, seatbelts in cars?

4 Likes

We could have figured it out already for all we know, and now the simulation overlords are watching us closely knowing that we’re coming close again and it’s about time to press that little button on the back of the simulator that you need a paperclip to push in

2 Likes

And there are some phobias where they simply won’t be able to address with a mere filter. Again I’d point to Dragonflight where the central feature of Dragonriding I would think would pose a problem for people with fear of flying/heights. Especially when certain content is tied to such. I remember that you take flight in the ruby life shrine for example. That kind of stuff isn’t as easy to address with a filter.

Again to reiterate I am not against the Arachnophobia filter. It only affects those that enable it. I just wonder about the implications from a development standpoint where they can’t just use a filter to aid accessibility for select groups of folks.

2 Likes

crabs are just sea spiders with 2 extra legs