Arachnophobia filter...seriously

And your way is working better?

Road rage everywhere. People freaking out, causing scenes, and oftentimes attacking restaurant workers because their food order was wrong. People berating checkout clerks. People wanting to fight and delete each other over the simplest things. Weapons in schools. It goes on and on.

These are the actions of people that have never been taught to deal with their problems. It isn’t rocket science and nobody needs a phd to recognize it.

1 Like

i have a terrible needle phobia to the point where i avoid medical tests and treatment
im a little bit better with piercing needles (have 8 ear piercings + navel) but i still have a minor freakout and get dizzy afterward. no problem with piercing guns though. medical needles are something else though

last time i got a vaccine i fainted in the pharmacy and had to be caught before i hit the floor :sob:

i dont have any reason to be so afraid either, no traumatic event. i have stupidly prominent veins so no failed blood draws either. its just a quirk i guess. its my only true phobia and i empathize with other people who have phobias because i know it sucks.

spiders are friends, i let them be

1 Like

Of all of the things we can “cater to”, I’d venture to say that adding a filter to turn spiders into crabs in what is going to be a very spider-centric expansion (or at least spider-centric within the first patch at a bare minimum) isn’t a bad idea.

Adding an arachnophobia filter to a spider-themed expansion isn’t what’s going to fast-track us to a weak society, because we’re already there for reasons entirely unrelated to some video game making sure a segment of its audience can actually reasonably purchase and play the expansion.

3 Likes

We are well on our way already and it’s not because of filters in a video game, but I’m certainly not opening up that can of worms here.

2 Likes

There must have been enough people asking for it. Even other games have the option.
If more people will play because of this, that’s a win.

Now, I’m no coding expert, but I imagine in the grand scheme of making the xpac, swapping models is pretty easy. I don’t think they diverted a bunch of resources to this.

1 Like

gore (“meat”) in the chinese client was swapped to a loaf of bread
so there’s past precedent

the execution had some funny consequences though

2 Likes

I went thru a phase like that too.

Then my doctor sat me down and explained I could deal with the occasional needle and test now or I could deal with a crap load later after a problem was not detected earlier enough to have a simple solution. And then he showed me pictures.

That was the end of that phase.

So, I understand but please go for the tests and needles now.

Can’t deal with piercing needles at all but experience anxiety and dizziness even with the gun so I only have my ears pierced.

Oddly enough, when one of the holes has closed up in the past, I have had no problem pushing thru a stud myself. :woman_shrugging:

I know. And it’s not like they’re painful. They’re just scary.

I love horror movies and can binge on them for days but let me see a needle heading towards a patient in a medical drama and my hands are up between me and the screen.

Isn’t it embarrassing?

I hate having to explain it once again to any new medical professional, ‘I know you’re trying to help me and I want that but you need to be prepared for tears or fainting or vomiting or all three. Just ignore it. It’s involuntary and nothing you did.’ And then they look at me like I am a ticking time bomb. I once had a nurse refuse to treat me because of how ill I looked and tell me to come back when I was feeling better. ‘It doesn’t get better than this!’ I mean I get their perspective, but it is still so embarrassing.

Ah, they have you fooled too.

I hate to scare you but they have been furiously breeding all over the world and once there is enough of them, they are going to raise up, swarm and devour us, and take over the world.

Kill them all and save the next generation.

I have pretty severe arachnophobia. I get cold sweats and heart pounding waves of terror if I see one within a few feet of me.

That being said;

I am able to seperate a video game from reality and the spiders in WoW, while scary do not elicit any physiological reaction in me.

This is a hilarious option that no one needs.

Also, crabs are just as scary for me.

3 Likes

One person may have done most of the work, but it certainly wasn’t approved without a lot more people looking into it.

1 Like

Good on you for having some control over yours. Some do not, and therapy doesn’t always fix it. While this wasn’t on my list of personal requests, I don’t see the harm in it being an option.

4 Likes

ive had that talk, no known health issues thankfully (but how can i really know). phobia at present is severe enough that i would just que sera my way through anything if i can avoid needles.

im working on it with a therapist and the best we could come up with is maybe connected to ocpd and issues with control. because someone else has to administer it, i think theyll mess up and catastrophize it in my head. there isnt really any other explanation. i agree its not pain, i have a decent pain tolerance.

the aches afterward are even worse. after i got my covid vaccine i was having constant panic attacks because the feeling in my arm disturbed me so bad.

honestly what helps with piercings is that you have to pay ahead of time. a lot of piercers will be like, “come on, you paid for it” and all i can do it agree and tough it out. also slightly less bad because theres an exit. big difference mentally for me between a lil flab on my ears and my arm (with all the muscle and veins and stuff going on in there).

even if i mentally prepare myself (and believe me, having to get anything done whether its blood work or shots ruins all the time leading up to it) it just collapses once its time. full blown fight or flight

1 Like

yikes, OP.

1 Like

Good on you!

Do you think you are capable of giving yourself a shot?

If so, that just might be the right tree to bark up.

Really? How awful.

For me, once the needle part is over, I enjoy a kind of light-headed relief and desire for my bed. The whole arm can feel like it is going to fall off and no out-of-control emotional response occurs.

Never thought about that.

It might be why I was able to get a tattoo as in the needle wasn’t going in real deep. Although, in truth, I haven’t been able to convince myself to go back to have it recolored, despite its now-faded appearance. (If someone had told me it would involve a repeat trip, I would have gotten a smaller tattoo!)

I can laugh about this now but…

I once had a person suggest that my psyching myself up was actually my psyching myself out and next time to just not think about it, instead focus on what I would be doing afterward.

So I tried that.

Don’t!

That was the incident that ended in tears, fainting and vomited and a lifetime express pass to the front of the line for all future visits to that clinic and/or their associated labs when it involved needles. Oh, and a kindly worded dressing-down from a concerned nurse on the idiocy of taking pysch advice from twenty-year-old fashion design student.

2 Likes

So does that me during PvP they are actually some people would get frozen when they fight hunters with spider pets?

Neat… I feel kinda evil now…

i look at them more like… armored stingrays.

1 Like

lucky :sob:
i think it makes me replay it over and over

and as for self-administration, i really dont know. never tried it but my therapist also thought it could work

i dont have any tattoos so no clue how i’d do with them. i can watch them be done without problem which might be an indicator i dont have a problem with them (even watching other people get pierced i can get faint)

1 Like

If some are dismissed with “soon™” and never freed, while crusaders are on to new human rights (like spider filters) which also see the same preferential push to the front for favourites, this is when people object.

As I’ve said, if it’s a want and not a need, I’m happy for them. But that doesn’t seem to be anyone’s understanding.

Mah west is falling cus you can turn spiders into crabs on my video game now!

2 Likes

Alright I misspoke there, used the wrong word, got me. Still don’t care, making efforts in any line to make someone’s life more enjoyable is based and your distaste and false care for others is still present.

2 Likes

I think this analogy is really going a bit over the top when we’re talking about a spider filter in a video game.