Arachnophobia filter...seriously

Well we’d have a few very bloody weeks while those people were purged. Then we’d build back up and the simulation would go on, well, simulating.

Because ultimately we’ve built these civilizations whether in one creator’s simulation or another.

I wouldn’t say ppl is against it. Just having to ask “why though?” When there is other things that needs done, that needs to be finished.

2 Likes

The people I was referencing would be the purger people. the living in conex container prepper people.

Or those sovereign citizen types…

True

1 Like

They might.

The only reason I particularly take “it’s not that easy” with a grain of salt now (while acknowledging that you could be right in this case) is Worgen monks.

I was told that because of the special monk animations, and all the work it would take, it was logical /
that Worgen couldn’t be monks. Yet I disproved this personally because the Orb of Deception would, at that time, turn you into a random race on a Pandaren. If you were a monk, you would occasionally turn into a Worgen Monk and you’d have all the proper animations.

It might be hard. I don’t know. But I have seen this in the past and it’s been totally wrong.

I’m not against it as a helping hand to people who want it. And if that’s all it is I’m happy for them.

I’m against dressing it up as a need then telling only some people they should have it.

1 Like

Glad you found strength and solace in being able to not depend on others, some people can’t do that and there is zero harm in offering assistance to those who need or want it.

I think the arguement back then that held more water was the lore reasons like they having to contend with rage when being a monk requires tranquility.

But this just seems silly. WoW is already full of zones with spiders, why now they care about them?

1 Like

What people don’t give enough credit to is the fact that these were our originators. We have societies in spite of the fact that we’re all doomsday prepper psychos at the core. To avoid the need for that kind of life.

One day we may only have a society because some didn’t entirely detach from that instinctual base. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t actually think those are the people you need to worry about in that situation though. Most of them will be holed up in their shelters waiting for the purge to end lol.

They absolutely can learn to deal with it- they’ve just never needed to. There has always been somebody running ahead of them to pad that next corner so they don’t get a booboo.

3 Likes

Some of y’all need to read about curb cut effect. Seriously. Just walk on over to Wikipedia and save yourselves some embarrassment here.

I have no problems with spiders. I am overjoyed to turn nerubians into crabs.

2 Likes

What you’re saying here is a point that I’ve already brought up and one that cuts both ways in this argument.

Most of the people responding positively, for example, aren’t arachnophobes. They just think it will be fun to turn spiders into crabs.

That is the majority responding positively here, while they use the phobia in question as a reason to denigrate anyone that disagrees.

It’s perfectly fine to say “It would benefit me for this change to happen” such as in the case of the curb cut. While it becomes fake and weak to say “You hate disabled people because you don’t support a change that would benefit me, a non-disabled person.”

5 Likes

The irony of this even, is the one that argued in favor of this vs finishing controller support, when controller support would actually help some disabled ppl out.

2 Likes

That depends. There’s controller support and then there’s bad controller support. I could picture Blizzard implementing it to be, at best, somewhere in the middle.

My friend, I was in the Army. I have severe PTSD to the point where I developed Agoraphobia with Panic Disorder (oh look another phobia!) and rarely left the house. I don’t work. I stay home and raised my son. If I went out it was to appointments and absolutely essential stuff that I could not put off. I can’t count the number of times I threw up in Walmart, or the parking lot, or in my car when I left the house. I drove to a VA appointment once and sat in the parking lot for an hour frozen unable to leave my car until I texted my provider and went home. I went through intense Exposure Therapy that is supposed to be the gold standard for alleviating PTSD symptoms. Guess what, it worked for about a month and then I got even worse than I was before. All it took was a single incident in public of my son having a meltdown for me to just go blank freeze up and do everything in my power to flee the area. I’ve been like this for 20 years. So no, you cannot say people absolutely can learn to deal with it. Some people can’t and never will be able to. And don’t say oh well PTSD is different than being afraid of spiders or heights or whatever, because it isn’t. It’s an irrational fear someone cannot get over. It’s a curb 3 inches high to you that is Mt. Everest to them. I am very happy that you were able to face your fears and have a strong centered outlook on your life. Again, some people cannot do that, and as a society rather than telling people to “toughen up” or “get over it” It would be much better if we all took a brief moment and said “What can I do to help make your life easier?”

5 Likes

We’re talking about a psychological phenomenon here and many of the people championing it will jump to attack any thread about FOMO, another psychological phenomenon.

I am yet again unreasonably stunt by the double standards of these forums.

I know that I should know better, and therefore it is my fault, as someone will surely remind me.

1 Like

Progress is slow yes, seizure warnings took years, colorblind assistance took years, wheelchair assistance took countless years. It’s slow because I said before this recognition and work needs to be fluid, instead progress is halted every few feet by this ‘a phobia? Who cares, life sucks’ mentality, by this ‘why not -every- phobia being tackled’ objection.

Instead you are saying that the already identified and easily resourced fix by tools we have today counters what I said previously, which it doesn’t. You are conflating two arguments as the same.

IKR! How silly that someone should think, feel, or act differently from you. Obviously you know how everything should be, so anyone who doesn’t react to things the same way you do is totally wrong and worthy of derision. Can’t wait 'til we live in a world where everyone feels, acts, and believes the same way as you do. If only we had a word to describe that way of thinking…

2 Likes

By not understanding the other side and brushing them off with, “Soon™” while insisting these things are needs/rights, you’ve halted your own progress.

The other side is not against needs/rights. We’re just pointing out that unless adjudicated fairly, and that being the goal from the get-go, they aren’t rights or needs. They’re just wants somebody has dressed up as needs to get their pet peeves catered to at a higher priority while ignoring and sidelining those of others.

Imagine deciding to free all slaves with five toes on each foot first, because resources and this and that and progress is slow and logistics and we can’t help everyone at once don’tcha know. I think people back in that time would have seen this for what it was. The only reason I’m bothering about this silly spider thing is that I think people now… somehow don’t, and are totally okay with it, if it wins the right popularity contests.

1 Like

Until FOMO is described by professional psychologists as an actual diagnose-able psychological condition and not some internet buzz word, this is a false equivalency.

Thank you for your service, truly.

PTSD from the horrors of open combat and the resulting (and understandable) agoraphobia that it caused and look how far you’ve come. You’re playing an MMO (with millions of people) centered around violent conflict and open war. And you’re not asking them to cater to you one single bit.

And yet you’re defending enabling people instead of encouraging their growth. Of all people YOU know what this world is really like. And yet you think coddling them and catering to their ceaseless whims is somehow good for them or society?

Someday daddy/mommy/Blizzard/the forum police won’t be there to protect them and if they aren’t ready for a challenge they will be in for a world of hurt. This used to be common knowledge.

2 Likes

It works almost the same currently as keybinds, except left analogue allows full speed 360 degrees movement with the right analogue works the camera. They just need to add native ps controller pad support to act as a mouse, and make a UI pleasing for controller users as well as add native modifier button choice (like if i wanted to use r2, r3 or B to use as shift/ctrl/alt modifiers)

Edit: thinking of this, allowing choice on what modifier key you choose may aid keybinders as well. This should be a feature in the settings.

The only thing we can do is call out double standards as we go.

It’s not like WoW is gonna protect me, a person scared of heights, from being up high. /remembers the spine fight in cata.

At any case, mental disorders is also aided by controller support in a way, some people gets overrealmed or cannot learn to use a keyboard correctly due to mental disorders.

2 Likes