Apply to Join the WoW Community Council

It’s unfortunate how self destructive the community is…

1 Like

The Community Managers don’t have input or ability to… manage the community?

Forum moderation is not part of Community Management, no. I mean, they CAN edit posts and do things, but it is not their job.

Most of their job is interacting with the streamers, influencers, media, promotions, engagement campaigns, setting up the dev interviews with people, writing the blogs and such.

I have a whole Council post where I addressed the community toxicity and the roles of various people within Blizzard related to that. Here is the Community Manager job description.

Blizzard Organization and Job Roles:

Community Managers (CMs) don’t take tickets. They have a very different role at Blizzard. Their job is to take feedback across forums, reddit, streams, third party websites, etc. To write and publish patch notes, news posts, forum notices, game changes. They also do engagement campaigns, promotions, and outreach. They engage and work with the media, streamer community, focus groups for raid testing and all the coordination that goes with that.

While CMs have the ability to moderate forums, that is not something they usually do. That is handled by the Forum Moderators who review forum reports that we flag. Those same Forum Mods are like the GMs who handle reports from the game.

Here is a recent Associate Community Manager role job posting.

Blizzard Entertainment games don’t just begin with game ideas or end once those games are released. A lot more goes into the creation of a Blizzard product than the work of developers—and we support our games for years after they’re in the hands of gamers worldwide. Operations teams support, evangelize, and improve our games. The Global World of Warcraft Publishing team is seeking a community professional who is passionate about player communities, brand communications, marketing, and customer support. They would join our community development team, who is dedicated to creating and maintaining relationships with our community of players.

The ideal candidate is driven, creative, and is a self-starter who possesses strong task management skills with a proven track record of successful community management and development experience in the entertainment industry. They are a tireless advocate for the voice of the player, constantly seeking to build bridges, trust, and foster constructive dialogue.

Responsibilities:

• Act as public-facing representative of Blizzard and communicate on behalf of the brand across multiple channels and at events
  • Contribute to the design and execution of community development programs for World of Warcraft
  • Support communication plans and channel management
  • Create and maintain relationships with community partners including fansites, content creators, and volunteers
  • Engage with players at in-person and online events Work closely with the various teams developing and supporting World of Warcraft
  • Compile and relay meaningful feedback on the sentiment, suggestions, and concerns of the community
  • Support the live operations of World of Warcraft with public-facing messaging tailored to our audience Develop official communications for upcoming game changes and content

Requirements

• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field or equivalent work experience
  • Minimum four years’ experience with brand communications, forums, and social media
  • Experience with channel management, publishing calendars, reporting & analytics
  • Familiarity with project management and process improvement
  • Ability to meet deliverables amid a fast-paced, high volume environment
  • Able to travel, including international travel, and work long hours including weekends as needed

Pluses

• Advanced degrees in communication, marketing, or related field
  • Third party relationship management experience
  • Project management training and experience
  • A passionate gamer possessing ample experience with World of Warcraft and/or World of Warcraft Classic
  • Experience with content management systems, html, or other publishing platforms
  • Existing strong personal network within Blizzard’s communities Fansite, creator, and/or streaming experience within the WoW community
  • Video production and/or graphic arts experience

Here is the rest of the post and thread.

Hard pass. What did CC even change? They had good discussion points at times, but they never got challenged/never implemented from what I seen.

Could be wrong tho never visit that forum.

Now the Devs can blame unpopular changes on : “we received input directly from our player base through this fancy council!” and Players who are upset can direct their ire at the Council.

Almost like a human shield.

2 Likes

They’ve never once “blamed” a change on the CC. I never once got the idea the CC was them directly taking suggestions. Rather, give them ideas of things players might like and let them reach the conclusion themselves if it aligns with their design philosophy.

At least 4 things I suggested in the CC forums ended up happening - I don’t know if they were because of my posts. but I like to think I at least helped fuel the thought process that players might be interested in it.

1. Resurrection Sickness being reduced from 10 Minutes.
  2. Quest Log Limit Increase.
  3. Changing the Pet Collection Achievements from 1250/1500/1750/2000 to 1200/1400/1600. (1750/2000 won’t be available in DF, and having unobtainable achievements is a mood killer for achievement hunters who like to 100%)
  4. Winds of Wisdom being brought back after being removed until Evokers were released.

Bonus:

We know this was in development before my post, from the blue post, but the Motion Sickness Potion for Grimrail:

Just because they aren’t posting in the threads doesn’t mean they aren’t using that feedback.

Now, if only they’d listen to the @target conditional we desperately need for accessibility reasons. Especially since they are adding more and more targeting circle abilities. >_< They have multiple CC members telling them point blank that it IS an accessibility issue and they ignore it, even with an entire accessibility team. X_X

If they’re that concerned about PvP, disable it in PvP until their team can figure out which abilities specifically to exclude from it.

If they’re worried about exploits - they shouldn’t - wowhead will post about any gamebreaking ones and they can hotfix those specific encounters.

3 Likes

All that stuff you listed kinda reinforces the “it didn’t really do anything” notion in this thread though

If you notice, that’s all minor “fluff” from the things you listed, or not really the major changes people/GD’ers were hoping to come out of the CC. Rez sickness? Quest log limit? While those are nice (minor) buffs, they’re not really the “big” changes that would make the difference between a fence-sitter unsubbing or deciding to re-up to the game for another 6 months

Perhaps it was simply a case of “too much expected” out of the CC forum, since it seems GD’ers were expecting the moon versus what was actually delivered. So there’s definitely a bit of a “gap” between people’s expectations versus how it went down - maybe that’s the source of a lot of the criticism about the program (expectations of the general public vs reality)

2 Likes

The CC still exists?

I thought Blizzard was removing the things from Shadowlands that failed.

3 Likes

You can disagree with someone but calling someone trash is just horrible.

That is massively inappropriate.

1 Like

This is the first time I have even seen you post in general discussion and I am on here daily.

people have been asking for an increase to quest log size for at almost a decade

that is some ego if someone thinks their post resulted in that change.

same with the rez sickness although since I personally never asked for that since I don’t normally die I am not sure how common that is.

1 Like

I’m mostly on the classic general or the class or pvp sub-forums.

True, but the point I was trying to make is something like quest log limit is a very minor “fluff” change compared to other more recent player complaints/requests

Seems to be a common theme with this latest batch of devs; they’ll do a small/minor quality of life change (such as quest log limit)… while totally ignoring the “big” ticket-item requests from the playerbase (like account-wide rep, allowing Drackthyr to play other classes, fixing OP classes, etc)

I agree - I sometimes think when players are generally unhappy they make minor fluff changes to say ‘see we listen’.

1 Like

Hopefully this time around they wont all be passive aggressive boot lickers

1 Like

I applied only for transmog /character customization feedback . Those things are important for me and clearly they are slowly headed in the right direction BUT they still need to add way more things and have feedback on the design of said items .

…did you even read my post? Cause I specifically say I don’t think my post had anything to do with it, just helped bring the idea back up. And that is reinforced by the fact the change happened 9 days after my post. Or do you genuinely think that it was a massive coincidence? >_>

And thank you for proving my point about being subjected to harassment for simply having an opinion.

3 Likes

lol oh lord. do people need to remind you of all the pot stirring you’ve done? Don’t even start.

7 Likes

yup ego - people make that as an in game suggestion constantly - I know because I do

2 Likes

Having a different opinion than your own isn’t pot stirring, it’s simply having an opinion. I’ve yet to see a cc member troll for the sake of trolling. Responding to trolls by trolling, sure.

Ive been posting on these forums and blizz forums in general for decades and I wouldn’t want gold, green, or blue text even if they paid me. Anonymity breeds the worst in people.

1 Like